Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Michael Appleton

This is a very positive development. Highly regarded as a coach, and has a bit of skill/experience managing too. Knows what it takes to succeed as a player, and has practice working with promising, developing players. Not a lot here to criticize, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

Few Oxford fans seem to think Marvin Johnson who plays for them will follow him here as well, not too sure about that one

Again Oxford fan in peace. Johnson is a class act but I personally think he would find it difficult in the Premier League. We had a similar player O'Dowda who went to Bristol City and he's struggled to start regularly. Don't worry I won't flood your forum I just  wanted to say my piece on Appleton earlier. 

16 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

This is a very positive development. Highly regarded as a coach, and has a bit of skill/experience managing too. Knows what it takes to succeed as a player, and has practice working with promising, developing players. Not a lot here to criticize, in my opinion.

Highly regarded on what basis and by whom?

He retired when he was 27, and I think he mainly played for Preston, so stretching it to say that he was a success as a player, unless you are comparing him to Junior Lewis.

Which 'promising' players has he 'developed'?

1 minute ago, 49er said:

He retired when he was 27, and I think he mainly played for Preston, so stretching it to say that he was a success as a player, unless you are comparing him to Junior Lewis.

Out of interest who would you want as assistant manager? A big name? One thing LCFC have shown is it's about how it all comes together with the right people in the right jobs, not how big and well known each individual is. Give Appleton a chance before crucifying him.

Just now, Apollo said:

Out of interest who would you want as assistant manager? A big name? One thing LCFC have shown is it's about how it all comes together with the right people in the right jobs, not how big and well known each individual is. Give Appleton a chance before crucifying him.

Someone that convinces top notch players, like Silva, that we are a serious force in the Premier League and mean business. Michael Appleton may turn out to be the greatest decision ever made by the club, or it may not turn out in this way - who knows? As recent winners of the Premier League and quarter finalists in the Champions League, would it be unreasonable to expect a slightly higher profile assistant, with previous experience of a successful stint in a similar role in the Premier League.

1 minute ago, 49er said:

Someone that convinces top notch players, like Silva, that we are a serious force in the Premier League and mean business. Michael Appleton may turn out to be the greatest decision ever made by the club, or it may not turn out in this way - who knows? As recent winners of the Premier League and quarter finalists in the Champions League, would it be unreasonable to expect a slightly higher profile assistant, with previous experience of a successful stint in a similar role in the Premier League.

Who have you got in mind?

13 minutes ago, 49er said:

I've just continually been hearing that most think he may be a better coach than manager, which is fine for the role he's taking at LCFC.

His career was cut short due to injury, and you're right about Preston. He did secure a move to West Brom, and seemed to be destined for better things before tearing an ACL. To me, that shows a fighting spirit and a growth mindset (moving up the leagues)

By all accounts he's done a nice job at Oxford, and took the club from mid-table in League Two to promotion to League One in a short period of time. Given that he's not going out and signing stars at that level, he's likely done a fair bit of working with the existing squad and pushing them.

I'm not an expert but I do see plenty of positives here.

10 minutes ago, 49er said:

I have said previously. Foreign guys really don't worry about coaches etc. Abroad coaches come and go at a quick rate. They generally don't speak coaches when they sign for a new club on the continent. It's about the Chairman, the chief exec, show em the money and the facilities. 

He's an assistant - his role to predominantly coach, he doesn't have a single thing to do with transfers. 

1 minute ago, UPinCarolina said:

I've just continually been hearing that most think he may be a better coach than manager, which is fine for the role he's taking at LCFC.

That was certainly my impression when he was being talked about as a manager, that he was a good coach etc. The fact that things didn't go so well for him early on seemed to repute this, so despite his relative success at Oxford the jury still has to be out. My concern is that his 'application' for the role may have been over egged by Shakey because he worked with him at West Brom. Did we recruit the best candidate or the one that Shakey wanted?

26 minutes ago, 49er said:

"Positions Appleton held at West Brom included academy development coach, Under-18s coach, reserves coach, first-team coach and caretaker head coach. For a young man, he is hugely experienced and extremely motivated.

West Brom's sporting and technical director, Dan Ashworth admitted that Appleton had been targeted by several clubs in the previous few years, making Pompey's capture quite a coup."

this was written in 2011, so before his 36th birthday he held some key positions at a club that was either in the premier or top level in the championship.

6 minutes ago, 49er said:

That was certainly my impression when he was being talked about as a manager, that he was a good coach etc. The fact that things didn't go so well for him early on seemed to repute this, so despite his relative success at Oxford the jury still has to be out. My concern is that his 'application' for the role may have been over egged by Shakey because he worked with him at West Brom. Did we recruit the best candidate or the one that Shakey wanted?

The assistant manager is there to back up the manager, offer him the right advice and support him. Shakespeare wants him because he clearly trusts the guy, on top of his recent very good work at Oxford

I'd be be very surprised to see any Oxford players follow Appleton to LCFC. The 2 players mentioned above are Johnson and Ledson. Johnson is over-rated in my opinion - he be very good at times,particularly going forward. However is not consistent enough eg had a very poor game v Coventry in Checkatrade Trophy final- and we don't need a left back. It's too early to judge Ledson - he's made progress since he joined Oxford (a testament to coaching staff including Appleton that has allowed many young players progress), but he has only played 17 games for Oxford -  and was released by Everton. Probably someone to monitor but nothing likely to happen during transfer window.

(Incidentally, the loanee player to impress most - he joined Oxford in January - was another ex- Everton Player - Conor McAleny, a 24 year old striker. I don't think he has a club currently as he has not been retained.by Everton..)

On 2017-6-18 at 17:05, EnglishOxide said:

I must admit the thought did pop into my head that Shakey could be approached for the England job if he has a really good season and Southgate massively blows the world cup.

Appleton will be well placed to have a crack at the job in that scenario.

Exactly 1-2 years as a number 2 under shakey seems a good career move from Appletons point of view, Oxford sounds in chaos, an I can't see him getting a better no 1 job than he currently has.

3 hours ago, 49er said:

Without hitting google, how many assistant managers in the PL can you name? 

Archived