Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Liamlcfc1

Michael Appleton

Wow. This is a great coup if true. I know we're Premier League and all but this guy was quite highly regarded before going into management. Yeah he had a bit of a miserable time at Pompey but who didn't. To nab a manager doing great things in League One is a bit of a catch. Perhaps we're his stepping stone to a Premier League manager's job.

http://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/michael-appleton/

Win percentage 45% over 173 games, both league 2 and league 1.Got Oxford Checkatrade final. And he prefers 442 from some random website I had open a minute ago.

From the thread Brucey posted it seemed like Michael complained about the lack of funds to get Oxford into the Championship.

I'm happy Shakey's appointed a manager, not a coach, since the transition from coach to manager will be tricky.

If Shakey's got an old friend who's already got managerial experience that can only be a good thing.

Mates with Shakey from West Brom days under Bryan Robson, helped arrange the friendly last summer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36377938

Oxford United boss Michael Appleton says 'friends in high places' helped secure a pre-season friendly against Premier League champions Leicester.

Appleton, who used to work with Foxes assistant coach Craig Shakespeare at West Brom, is looking forward to hosting Claudio Ranieri's side.

"It might end up being the only game they play in England before the season starts," he told BBC Radio Oxford.

Oxford, promoted to League One this month, will face Leicester on 19 July.

Appleton and Shakespeare were part of England manager Roy Hodgson's backroom team during their time together at the Hawthorns.

"It's incredible how this game has come about," Appleton said. "It helps having a few friends who work at Premier League clubs and Craig and I were chatting a couple of months before the end of the season.

"The fact Leicester have obviously gone on to win the title since makes the occasion even more mouthwatering."

Leicester's pre-season schedule currently sees them facing Barcelona, Celtic and Paris St-Germain overseas in the International Champions Cup.

The game against Oxford will be their first visit to the Kassam Stadium since 2010 and is currently their only confirmed domestic pre-season fixture.

"For that to be the case with the likes of Jamie Vardy coming to play at our ground will be a fantastic occasion," Appleton added.

13 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Bit strange but The Mirror are literally the only news outlet reporting this. Just done a quick Google search and there's nothing else out there.

Seems like when that happens, the news tends to be reliable.

I reckon this is definitely a done deal.

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Apparently Appleton's highly-respected, due to his work with England behind the scenes.

He's got the experience and can imagine him working well with Shakespeare.

Mike Stowell would probably remain as goalkeeping coach.

Exactly this I should imagine

Amazing appointment as a number two if we manage to pull it off. He's highly rated as a coach and I suspect that the board will also have one eye on their succession plans with Appleton as a possible candidate to eventually take over the reigns when Shakey calls it a day (assuming all goes to plan) keeping continuity across not only the playing style but the off field structure. Didn't see this one coming but I'm certainly excited by the prospect of adding him to the back room staff.

Well, that's our caretaker manager sorted in December then.

He'll bring back the chicken burgers and we'll pull away from relegation, then the cycle starts again.

I hope he's improved from his Pompey days.

As you might be able to tell, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy lol

Totally tongue in cheek before anyone starts!

1 minute ago, tom27111 said:

Well, that's our caretaker manager sorted in December then.

He'll bring back the chicken burgers and we'll pull away from relegation, then the cycle starts again.

I hope he's improved from his Pompey days.

As you might be able to tell, I'm a glass half empty kind of guy lol

Totally tongue in cheek before anyone starts!

My glass is half empty, should I fill it, or go to bed?

Wow. This is a great coup if true. I know we're Premier League and all but this guy was quite highly regarded before going into management. Yeah he had a bit of a miserable time at Pompey but who didn't. To nab a manager doing great things in League One is a bit of a catch. Perhaps we're his stepping stone to a Premier League manager's job.

I'd like to see us continue up promote from within, so perhaps we can groom this guy to take over from Shakey when the time is right.

20 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

I'd like to see us continue up promote from within, so perhaps we can groom this guy to take over from Shakey when the time is right.

Really?

That's a massive no from me.

Sometimes, a fresh approach is needed. I felt that should've been this summer, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Giving Shakes the job is one thing, but managed by a guy who's miserably failed at Portsmouth, Blackpool and Blackburn? 

No thanks.

Don't get me wrong, he could be a very good assistant, some are, but aren't cut out for management. 

Anyway, not happened yet, so let's not get carried away.

Really?

That's a massive no from me.

Sometimes, a fresh approach is needed. I felt that should've been this summer, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Giving Shakes the job is one thing, but managed by a guy who's miserably failed at Portsmouth, Blackpool and Blackburn? 

No thanks.

Don't get me wrong, he could be a very good assistant, some are, but aren't cut out for management. 

Anyway, not happened yet, so let's not get carried away.

Definitely. Build our approach, style and team ethic. If we bring in from the outside they should fit in with us. Have the backroom staff largely run things and a manager just involved in team selection and media responsibilities.

The agency that represent Appleton also look after Sven, Derek Fazackerly, Bruno Berner, Chris Powell, Ritchie Wellens, Darius Vassell, Matt Oakley and Steve Howard...

Sven to come in as DoF, Bruno and Chris P as coaches :ph34r:

Archived