Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
JP the Fox

Gray not starting or playing much for ENG Under 21's?!

38 minutes ago, shen said:

Equally, you can rightly expect him to make an impression at U21 level. When a lad from Reading gets in ahead of him, it's only natural that people question his ability.

Obviously I'm guessing most of our fans haven't seen enough of his direct rival to know how good he is, but Gray has been here for 1½ years now and he hasn't progressed significantly despite a good number of appearances.

With Mahrez likely leaving this summer, now is the time for Gray to step up and make his mark. This tournament should provide the perfect platform to kick on.

Perhaps we should be looking at the lad from Reading

He's still very young but with his energy and fitness you would think he would be starting games, but maybe his end product which he needs to work on has let him down! he does have a tendency to go for goal where maybe a pass to a teammate might be the better option! all great footballers and strikers are selfish but the difference is they do the business on the pitch whearas Demarai perhaps isn't doing that! he still has a lot of maturing to do football wise and needs a shoulder around him and maybe some of his teammates telling to buckle down and be a team player!

1 hour ago, themightyfin said:

The lad is 20 years old! Lay off him!

Nobody here knows why he's not been selected but he's already been hung drawn and quartered as a lazy waste of space with a massive attitude problem.

Why not feel proud we have players representing Leicester at international level and be right behind them and see him for the talent he is. 

You don't get tracked by teams like Liverpool  or Spurs ect if your a waste of space.

Give the lad a break. 

Alright Demarai, keep yer shirt on!

I don't know what it is about Gray, but there's something clearly not right. 

Successive managers clearly haven't fancied him, I know that is largely because of Mahrez having a 'star factor' despite being poor for large parts of the last season, but even so if he was as good as some think he is he would have started many more games. 

The games in which I have seen him play I have been largely unimpressed. Yes he is a good dribbler of the ball who has incredible pace on his side, and he is also clearly very capable (just look at the goal v Man United); however he is so selfish on the ball that he actually becomes a hindrance. I know some of you will claim Mahrez is just as selfish, however Mahrez can afford to be selfish because we all know what he can and does do-he wins games with pieces of magic, Gray simply doesn't.

He is only a young lad, so I don't want to lay into him too much. But I get the impression (and I could be very very wrong) from the outside looking in that his attitude is very different to someone like Ben Chilwell who is in a similar stage of his development. I fear he will want too much too fast. 

Well U20's aside I no longer have any idea what this FA blueprint in playing styles is other than that the U21's play just like the national team.

i) Dominate possession

ii) Pass it around for ages between wingers a holding midfielder and the CB's on the half way line

iii) Drive forward with dribble, pass or cross and lose ball in final third

iv) Track back, regain possession competently

v) Repeat

1 hour ago, rn9013 said:

I don't know what it is about Gray, but there's something clearly not right. 

Successive managers clearly haven't fancied him, I know that is largely because of Mahrez having a 'star factor' despite being poor for large parts of the last season, but even so if he was as good as some think he is he would have started many more games. 

The games in which I have seen him play I have been largely unimpressed. Yes he is a good dribbler of the ball who has incredible pace on his side, and he is also clearly very capable (just look at the goal v Man United); however he is so selfish on the ball that he actually becomes a hindrance. I know some of you will claim Mahrez is just as selfish, however Mahrez can afford to be selfish because we all know what he can and does do-he wins games with pieces of magic, Gray simply doesn't.

He is only a young lad, so I don't want to lay into him too much. But I get the impression (and I could be very very wrong) from the outside looking in that his attitude is very different to someone like Ben Chilwell who is in a similar stage of his development. I fear he will want too much too fast. 

Hard to argue with most of that.

We criticized Ranieri for not playing him but it turns out that he got it right. Against Bournemouth I expected more from Gray but it didn't happen.

Even if Gray was to match the potential with big performances I could easily imagine that he'd jump ship to a Liverpool or Spurs not long after.

For all his faults Andy King has scored some massive goals like West Ham in 2015 but Gray doesnt convince me as he'll be that kind of player for us.

The signings of last summer have been slated but since Kante's arrival the singings have been by and large underwhelming (N'didi the exception). You'd wonder would Pearson have been keen on Gray?

I don't really see what all the fuss is about with Gray in all honesty

He's young, and yes he could develop into a decent player, but every time I've seen him play he's been a step down from the likes of Mahrez and Albrighton

I don't think he did himself any favours last season when he was given the chance

32 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

I don't really see what all the fuss is about with Gray in all honesty

He's young, and yes he could develop into a decent player, but every time I've seen him play he's been a step down from the likes of Mahrez and Albrighton

I don't think he did himself any favours last season when he was given the chance

Same here, probably the most overrated player in the squad, contributes nothing when he starts. To think people want him to replace Mahrez is absolutely baffling to be honest. Wouldn't be overly bothered if he left. 

1 hour ago, DanNDH88 said:

Same here, probably the most overrated player in the squad, contributes nothing when he starts. To think people want him to replace Mahrez is absolutely baffling to be honest. Wouldn't be overly bothered if he left. 

He was average against stoke but managed to get MOTM... The hype is ridiculous 

23 hours ago, Tuna said:

Gray's a bit of a sulker isn't he.

Perhaps that's why he's not selected.

Hopefuly he is not in that long line of talented players who think they have made it before they have

Is it just me that has noticed Gray has only ever played well when he comes off the bench? Forced his way into a start and then when he starts, does nothing.  

Gonna stick my neck out here and suggest that whilst some of our younger players probably won't come to a great deal, I think Gray will.

He's got bags of talent. He's quick, tricky, skillful and can shoot. His problem, I believe, is his attitude. He needs to knuckle down and walk before he can run. I think he thinks he's already 'made it'.

He hasn't. But with the right guidance...I think he has everything in his game to become a really good player in the Prem.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Gonna stick my neck out here and suggest that whilst some of our younger players probably won't come to a great deal, I think Gray will.

He's got bags of talent. He's quick, tricky, skillful and can shoot. His problem, I believe, is his attitude. He needs to knuckle down and walk before he can run. I think he thinks he's already 'made it'.

He hasn't. But with the right guidance...I think he has everything in his game to become a really good player in the Prem.

Hope so, Col. I think this will be a watershed season for him so to speak. He'll either grab his chance and kick on, or will have to take a backwards step to move forward. 

I've doubt the talent is there, it's (and we say this too often) the application that needs to come through now. I just don't see him doing it for his team mates, like other players (Riyad included) do. Hope that changes this Summer/season 

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Is it just me that has noticed Gray has only ever played well when he comes off the bench? Forced his way into a start and then when he starts, does nothing.  

He never seemed to have the stamina to be a starter. He's like a firework -  all go and glitter but gone in a flash. He's also like a seahorse - never seems to get his head up.  

i think he's sensational. never gonna get in the team ahead of mahrez who is comfortably the greatest player in our history or ahead of albrighton cos his work rate is much needed in our system. but gray is gonna be a top, top player. 

8 hours ago, Bert said:

No, I've noticed this too. I reckon it's because he benefits from coming on when defenders are tiring, and therefore looks quicker than he actually is.

22 hours ago, shen said:

Equally, you can rightly expect him to make an impression at U21 level. When a lad from Reading gets in ahead of him, it's only natural that people question his ability.

Obviously I'm guessing most of our fans haven't seen enough of his direct rival to know how good he is, but Gray has been here for 1½ years now and he hasn't progressed significantly despite a good number of appearances.

With Mahrez likely leaving this summer, now is the time for Gray to step up and make his mark. This tournament should provide the perfect platform to kick on.

Gray has done very well for the U21's last season, just because he's looked poor the last two sub appearances shouldn't discount what he's shown previously. Players should be picked on merit and right now he's showing no reason to start, even if Boothroyd is a fcukin cretin of the game. 

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Gray has done very well for the U21's last season, just because he's looked poor the last two sub appearances shouldn't discount what he's shown previously. Players should be picked on merit and right now he's showing no reason to start, even if Boothroyd is a fcukin cretin of the game. 

How's the view from the top of that fence, Ric? :D

10 hours ago, Bert said:

The only two games last season that he started for us and looked good was Derby in the cup replay and Stoke in the league. He was very very good against Stoke, he could have had 2 or 3 goals and there'd have been people spuffing in the stands.

Whatever needs to happen with him to get to that level where he ought to start regularly and can perform regularly must be sought. The talent is there, he's too eager to impress and players have gone on record that he is so determined and dedicated but I think sometimes it's channeled wrong from Demarai. A good management team should sort this. I actually think Ranieri would have got the best out of him in time but not so sure with Shakespeare, I sense he might not be as enamoured with him.

He's at the stage of his career where he needs regular games. If Mahrez leaves he'll get his chance. With more experience hopefully he'll start making the right choices. This season will probably decide whether he's going to be a top player or just another failed one for the future.

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The only two games last season that he started for us and looked good was Derby in the cup replay and Stoke in the league. He was very very good against Stoke, he could have had 2 or 3 goals and there'd have been people spuffing in the stands.

Whatever needs to happen with him to get to that level where he ought to start regularly and can perform regularly must be sought. The talent is there, he's too eager to impress and players have gone on record that he is so determined and dedicated but I think sometimes it's channeled wrong from Demarai. A good management team should sort this. I actually think Ranieri would have got the best out of him in time but not so sure with Shakespeare, I sense he might not be as enamoured with him.

Well obviously it would've been easier to get the best out of Gray in the Championship! :P

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

He's at the stage of his career where he needs regular games. If Mahrez leaves he'll get his chance. With more experience hopefully he'll start making the right choices. This season will probably decide whether he's going to be a top player or just another failed one for the future.

I'm not sure he will. Gray didn't really get much of a chance when Riyad was away at AFCON. Shakey doesn't seem to rate him either. And clearly if Riyad leaves we will need to buy a new winger anyway, I'd hope we buy a winger good enough to be a starter (and therefore better than Gray).

Archived