Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nugent

West Brom (Asia Trophy) match thread (July 19th)

Love him or hate him, without mahrez our team look painful trying to push the ball forward. An on form mahrez is the difference between a top 5 push and a 13-16 finish. And its not all about "effort", with Matty the midfield wasn't negative. He offloaded the ball and than pushed forward to help riyad.

1st game of preseason, can't read much into it, but here's my thoughts:

• James looked class first half
  • maguire and Iborra both looked very useful
  • Mahrez played really well and scored a great goal - obviously in the shop window BUT he's turned up and played well, put a few tackles in and was a real danger.
  • I still think Slim could be successful here, he got in the right positions, looked dangerous but just needs to sharpen up his close control.
  • biggest disappointments for me were ulloa and King who didn't seem to do much. If the reports of a new contract for ulloa are true, I still don't get it.
  • overall, limited WBA to very few chances, they scored a good goal but we coped with everything else. So defensively solid.
  • looked dangerous first half, no spark in the second. Whether that was the change in formation or personnel remains to be seen. I suspect it was a bit of both.

29 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I have no problem with the penalty rule changes but the reason behind the change is statistically 60% or something of shootout winners take the first penalty. So? Im sure over 65% of winners in games are the home team, does that mean we need to try and even it up by playing in neutral venues?

No, it means you play the first half at home, then have to quickly jump on LCFC.com at half time to buy a ticket for the second half which is away :ph34r:

1 minute ago, rn9013 said:

I find myself after that match quietly hopeful that Mahrez could stay with us at least until January. I think our starting 11 is far better with him than without. 

Me too, after watching that game i really will be sad if he leaves before January. 

Archived