Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Drinkwater

Just now, Finn Claw II said:

Drinkwater is a great player.  Him and Ndiddi as a partnership is exciting.

with Marty James and the Spanish bloke as other options we have a solid CM.

for all those saying we can do better with £30m, really?

It appears we have widely contrasting perceptions of excitement.

16 minutes ago, ttfn said:

It's got nothing to do with him playing with an injury. It's got everything to do with him not being a £30m player in this or any other market.

£30m is too much for us to turn down when we could clearly get in a more consistent performer for a fraction of the cost. On merit he's not in the starting XI next Friday, although I would be surprised if he didn't play.

His position is a clear area in the first XI we can upgrade. If we can get £30 million towards it then we have to take it, especially as we're not selling to a rival.

Tell me who this player is, how much they cost and if they are prepared to come to Leicester.

25 minutes ago, ttfn said:

It's got nothing to do with him playing with an injury. It's got everything to do with him not being a £30m player in this or any other market.

£30m is too much for us to turn down when we could clearly get in a more consistent performer for a fraction of the cost. On merit he's not in the starting XI next Friday, although I would be surprised if he didn't play.

His position is a clear area in the first XI we can upgrade. If we can get £30 million towards it then we have to take it, especially as we're not selling to a rival.

If this were true then fine, but I suspect it really isn't.

Considering our main midfield target has been Sigurdsson who we couldn't get even if we met the £50m asking price and we can no longer offer anyone Champions League football.

Let's also have a look at our signings last summer. Musa cost us £16m remember.

Just now, ronnup said:

Replacing him now would be ridiculously difficult and there's nobody obvious available. He knows the league. He won it. 

This would be catastrophic in my eyes. 

calm down, he's excelled one season been poor one where he was dropped for a football pensioner and average last season, Drinkwater leaving wouldn't be catastrophic in the slightest

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

calm down, he's excelled one season been poor one where he was dropped for a football pensioner and average last season, Drinkwater leaving wouldn't be catastrophic in the slightest

I assume you're referring to Cambiasso one of the greatest ever players to play football let alone for our club. 

To be honest I wouldn't be fussed about finding a direct replacement. We already have some decent options in centre mid and I would be willing to give them a go. Obviously Ndidi starts, but James coming back is a big plus and Iborra is experienced at the the highest level.  It isn't like Drinkwater leaves and there is a massive hole that will leave us facing an abyss.  I'd rather get 30m and use it to strengthen other areas of the team. 

12 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Tell me who this player is, how much they cost and if they are prepared to come to Leicester.

This isn't Mahrez we're talking about. Drinkwater is a slightly above average PL central midfielder - plenty of players at that standard would come here. There are also better players out there across Europe who will come for the money. It's only six months since we signed a player who is already better than Drinkwater and plays in a very similar position for half the cost we're talking about here.

FWIW  in any event I think we can replace him for free anyway - nothing that Drinkwater has done in the PL without Kante has been to a better quality than what we've seen of James.

Just now, Bert said:

I assume you're referring to Cambiasso one of the greatest ever players to play football let alone for our club. 

yes but his legs had gone so while my description of him is harsh but I used it to make a point so in the context of the discussion its accurate, Drinkwater started the season in the team and was poor, when Matty James when down with his injury it wasn't Drinkwater that came in it was King, a player most on here can't wait to see the back of.

Drinkwater is a fine Premier League player, saying selling him would be a catastrophe is stupid

37 minutes ago, ttfn said:

You're either joking or you're ****ing nuts.

41 minutes ago, ttfn said:

So who can we sign who you believe will be a consistent upgrade with prem experience for £30m?

Silva is not the answer as he would be a risk to be our replacement for our first choice creative ball playing midfielder?

14 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Drink water was immense when we won the league, he was also our POTY when in the championship. 

If he is so so easily replaceable why are Chelsea interested? 

He also demands more from himself and others around him, much like Kasper, he is an integral part of our team.

Some of our fans need to be careful, wishing away the spine of our team that won us the league, eventually we will become the next West Brom

4 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

So who can we sign who you believe will be a consistent upgrade with prem experience for £30m?

Silva is not the answer as he would be a risk to be our replacement for our first choice creative ball playing midfielder?

I don't know exactly who's available, but there is evidence in the market that better central midfielders than DD can be bought for much less than £30m. One of them already plays for us.

6 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Drink water was immense when we won the league, he was also our POTY when in the championship. 

He also demands more from himself and others around him, much like Kasper, he is an integral part of our team.

Some of our fans need to be careful, wishing away the spine of our team that won us the league, eventually we will become the next West Brom

and some people need to realise that that season was special where everyone played at their absolute peak, some players are in the team based on reputation rather than form if our starting 11 is only 3 players different from that season then the club has seriously failed

7 minutes ago, ttfn said:

This isn't Mahrez we're talking about. Drinkwater is a slightly above average PL central midfielder - plenty of players at that standard would come here. There are also better players out there across Europe who will come for the money. It's only six months since we signed a player who is already better than Drinkwater and plays in a very similar position for half the cost we're talking about here.

FWIW  in any event I think we can replace him for free anyway - nothing that Drinkwater has done in the PL without Kante has been to a better quality than what we've seen of James.

Wrong, people are forgetting how good he was until December. He was pretty much carrying the team for some of that period.

James has always looked a good player but Drinkwater has been an exceptional player, not slightly above average, at this level. Kante or no Kante (I don't like him being used as a stick to beat other players with) Drinkwater has done far more than James has ever done. I appreciate James has been injured for ages but that's neither here nor there, in fact that's arguably a reason we can't rely on him to replace Drinky.

I've no doubt there are players around Europe who are as good as Drinkwater that are possible to get. However, the likelihood of that actually happening in reality is not that great. There is not the massive pool of players with Drinkwater's quality like you are making out and we aren't as good as we were at picking out gems.

Ndidi is not better than Drinkwater at his best. He has the potential to be, I think he'll go on to be a fabulous player, but you can't say he's done what Drinkwater has. Even so, behind him we've got so little quality in the squad. I'd rather us move King, Mendy and Amartey on before we move Drinkwater on. We don't need to sell players to buy players so I'm not that bothered about £30m. The owners might be, but that's their decision.

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

and some people need to realise that that season was special where everyone played at their absolute peak, some players are in the team based on reputation rather than form if our starting 11 is only 3 players different from that season then the club has seriously failed

Rubbish, so Chelsea are interested based on reputation?

Since when did we last have an England international centre midfielder in our team? 

One of our players that is at is seriously underrated by some 

5 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Great post.

We all know he hasn't been anywhere near his best for some time.

But we know how good he can be.

Strikes me as a real confidence player and should imagine Danny's biggest critic is Danny Drinkwater.

Pearson stated that he was a complex character and he knew him probably better than anyone.

£30 million for him in my opinion is peanuts and we'll regret it like we did with Kante.

5 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I don't know exactly who's available, but there is evidence in the market that better central midfielders than DD can be bought for much less than £30m. One of them already plays for us.

That's my point I don't think you will find many.......

i am am not sure of your evidence in the market either tbh.....

i think some some are too quick to dismiss the quality of our players for sums that make no sense at a point where we would be really weakened.....again I hope and trust our owners are more savvy than some of our fans

How many years was he at Old Trafford? That qualifies him ( and James, DeLaat, Lawrence, Simpson) to be in the best youth set up in England, probably Europe and maybe the world) and people on here say he is crap. You keep your assets, your best players, you nurture them......if he goes the same people moaning about Kante will be back on here moaning about the club, rudders, anything convenient to hang blame.

finally the bloke is 110% Fox, played with injuries, turned down England caps to carry on playing for Leicester......love him, inspirational.....will be incredibly difficult to replace as Chelsea walk the league with our midfield!

I keep reading time and time again that we need creativity in midfield.  Assuming KI plays behind Vardy then surely Drinky would need to be replaced.  Chelsea offer us the chance to do that and there's uproar.

Archived