Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Drinkwater

15 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Rubbish, so Chelsea are interested based on reputation?

Since when did we last have an England international centre midfielder in our team? 

One of our players that is at is seriously underrated by some 

They have 2 English developed players in their squad so he fills a need there and also has talent.

but he's also someone who loses confidence and struggles to get it back.

again my main point was selling Drinkwater wouldn't be catastrophic as someone said

Selling Danny Drinkwater so close to the end of pre-season would be daft. He's a core component in the way we play and a main body in the midfield. If/when we/he decide it's the right time to leave, it should be early in the pre-season and for the club to have identified a replacement for him. To take him out of our side at the moment would be suicidal, and looking at the Burton game, the rest of the midfield doesn't fill me with much confidence, to be honest. (nothing against the guys, just think we missed Drinky. Always good to see James back playing). 

Like him or not, we all have to agree Drinky is important to the way we play and we can't lose him this close to the new season. If I'm being honest I think it's bull anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

They have 2 English developed players in their squad so he fills a need there and also has talent.

but he's also someone who loses confidence and struggles to get it back.

again my main point was selling Drinkwater wouldn't be a catastrophic as someone said

Maybe wouldn't be catastrophic but it would definately weaken us.

Then again, maybe we knew all along of the serious interest in Drinky hence the Iborra signing 

27 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Wrong, people are forgetting how good he was until December. He was pretty much carrying the team for some of that period.

James has always looked a good player but Drinkwater has been an exceptional player, not slightly above average, at this level. Kante or no Kante (I don't like him being used as a stick to beat other players with) Drinkwater has done far more than James has ever done. I appreciate James has been injured for ages but that's neither here nor there, in fact that's arguably a reason we can't rely on him to replace Drinky.

I've no doubt there are players around Europe who are as good as Drinkwater that are possible to get. However, the likelihood of that actually happening in reality is not that great. There is not the massive pool of players with Drinkwater's quality like you are making out and we aren't as good as we were at picking out gems.

Ndidi is not better than Drinkwater at his best. He has the potential to be, I think he'll go on to be a fabulous player, but you can't say he's done what Drinkwater has. Even so, behind him we've got so little quality in the squad. I'd rather us move King, Mendy and Amartey on before we move Drinkwater on. We don't need to sell players to buy players so I'm not that bothered about £30m. The owners might be, but that's their decision.

The Watford game (from which it all started to go wrong for DD) was 7 November, so 3 "good" months without Kante over 2 seasons. He "carried the team" to wallopings against every decent side we met and some dismal home performances (including a defeat to West Brom for which he was directly (and uncharacteristically) responsible). He might have been our best player but it's not like he faced any competition.

DD is being massively overrated if you're saying he's "exceptional" at this level without Kante. Is 3 months (in which it's not like he touched astronomical heights) enough to class him as "exceptional"? I don't think so, you're entitled to your opinion though.

I also think you're wrong about Ndidi. If you took a poll of who should be in the XI for the Arsenal game, Ndidi would be on 90%+. I can't imagine you could say the same for DD. He's already better than Drinkwater and as you say has the potential to get better. For all we know Drinkwater could be on a permanent downward slope.

The point about moving on King, Mendy and Amartey is well made but firstly I doubt we'd get £30m for the job lot and secondly as the back end of last season showed you need bodies in a squad to even vaguely compete, even if they're not world beaters.

Re: players we could get I suspect your opinion and mine differ because we seem to see Drinkwater differently. I think he's a perfectly decent PL player, you (and it seems most others) seem to think he's bordering on an elite level PL player (and if indeed he is that then we can't and won't attract anybody of that quality to replace him). 

Drinkwater is obviously a club legend and has hit heights I don't think any of us thought possible. But in the cold light of day this is THIRTY MILLION POUNDS we're talking about. It's very possible that the Drinkwater whose form helped us to the league title is gone forever as he no longer has Kante beside him. And even if it hasn't, I still think we can sign better players for that money, as we have done in the recent past.

We won't move on as a club until we get more realistic about what happened a couple of years ago. A fantastic team spirit, hard work and perfect tactics were underpinned by consistently magnificent performances from Kante, Mahrez and Vardy. The others all showed significant quality at times too, but that one season and occasional performances in 2016/17 no more makes Drinkwater a £30 million player than it does Albrighton a £20 milllion winger or Simpson a £15 million right back.

Is this lively debate reaching poll propoptions yet?

Personally think it would be a mistake so late in pre season and have doubts that Chelski are 30 mil interested.

I also feel we would  say a firm no if they were interested.

Opinions eh.

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

If Chelsea really want Drinkwater then surely he's as good as gone, I don't think we could hold him back from that could we?

4 year contract with 3 years left so yes we can unless they offer a fee that we are happy to sell at!

I'm going to plop myself down on this rather selfless piece of fence for this one. 

I would be happy to see us decline a £30m offer and have him stay and build on what we have as I'm a fan of him. 

I would also see the sense in taking the £30m and look to bring in a fresh face that can bring something different to the team for less than that fee or with a few more years in him than Drinky does (absolutely no clue as to who that could be but luckily I'm not a LCFC scout)

In conclusion, I can see the basis of an argument from both sides.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

and some people need to realise that that season was special where everyone played at their absolute peak, some players are in the team based on reputation rather than form if our starting 11 is only 3 players different from that season then the club has seriously failed

Are there any players that you actually like? All you ever seem to do is say players are in the team based on reputation. Don't know what you expect from some of our players or who you actually want to replace them all with. 

7 minutes ago, Bamba's Babes said:

Drinkwater deemed good enough by Chelsea.

Drinkwater not deemed good enough by sections of Leicester fans.

tenor.gif

I do agree with what you saying but he is going there to sit on the bench and most of their fans don't want any part of him.

29 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Sell him, he is crap without kante and looks frustrated and huffy most of the time. Struggles to push forward and the minute he gets the ball you know its going to go backwards.

Which of our players do you actually like?

This is a weird one. Almost feel like he would be worth more to Chelsea than he would to us by virtue of how well he plays with Kante. Obviously he made Drinky look better but the reverse was true too. Whereas for us...Drinky’s looked below par all calendar year for whatever reason and now we are +2 cm’s over last season. Maybe Drinky needs a change and when Chelsea come calling with an offer to play alongside the player he’s looked the best with it might be hard to turn down. 

Even in today’s inflated market, Chelsea are paying the 30m as if they believe they’ll be getting the 15/16 Drinkwater. So for that reason - sell. 

7 hours ago, Bert said:

Are there any players that you actually like? All you ever seem to do is say players are in the team based on reputation. Don't know what you expect from some of our players or who you actually want to replace them all with. 

There are plenty of players I like but this thread isn't about them.

sorry if my not towing the "Drinkwater should be starting for England" party line on Foxes Talk upsets you but he is vastly overrated by a lot of Leicester fans, he is a fine premier league midfielder but for £30m I think we could replace him comfortably

Amazing how aloof some people have become, with their he's no good lets sell him policy.

DD was acknowledged by Pearson as a player who was a complicated character who rarely does interviews and is a bit miserable so 'frustrated and huffy" is nothing new.

8 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

In your opinion, which are they? I am not going to argue, I am interested in your point of view.

Would have thought that was obvious and not always based on observed performance. Think about it as a player you won the friggin league with Lcfc amazing but it ain't gona happen again and it's become apparent that we won't become a mega spender. 

You have had that taste and probably want more. 

Players I am pretty much sure feel like that are drinkwater kasper mahrez. 

Archived