Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adam

Simpson

8 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Bizarre post again. Our weakest position is left back no doubt about it. And being glad he’s out for a few weeks..! Wtf 

You only had to watch yesterday’s game to know how much he’s missed.

Absolutely. He will be sorely missed. He's a very decent quality defensive right back who arguably, is the type of right back required when allowing someone like Marhez, if playing on the left, to ply their trade. Cafu could do two jobs but has sadly retired.

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I'm with @Bertin the 'do we need a new RB thread'. He's spot on.

He's not, because he's completely ignoring the fact the manager has set out his stall in terms of what he expects from his right back, and what he's said he wants is what Simpson offers the least. Unless you want a manager to stick with players that can't implement the style he wants, then we need a new attacking right back. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Claridge said:

Easily the best defender we have. As an attacking force very poor, but with Morgan and Maguire being prone to a lack of concentration he is what we need.

I think this is actually a myth, against the big teams this year he's been woeful - you can argue lack of protection, but he consistently defends way too deep against good players, and goes back and back to the corner of the box. Yes, he's great at clearing crosses at the back post, but in one on ones and blocking crosses (what full backs should be good at) he gets beaten too often for me.

1 hour ago, Abrasive fox said:

I think this is actually a myth, against the big teams this year he's been woeful - you can argue lack of protection, but he consistently defends way too deep against good players, and goes back and back to the corner of the box. Yes, he's great at clearing crosses at the back post, but in one on ones and blocking crosses (what full backs should be good at) he gets beaten too often for me.

Of course you can argue lack of protection. You kinda dismiss this as irrelevant?

For me this is the main factor. Simpson has to drop deep because he’s essentially on his own down that right hand side. He’s not much good at coming forward and I do get the argument of Puel wanting more of a wing back type player. 

But Simpson has had little chance to develop that side of his game because he’s had to play as an out and out full back. Defensively, he’s been a fantastic servant to LCFC and was a near ever present in the title winning side.

Whether or not we now go for a right wing back and pop Simpson on the bench, I’ll always consider him nothing other than a solid and dependable defender who has pretty much just got on with his job AND actually has been so proficient defensively that Mahrez has been enabled to do what he does best..attack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Of course you can argue lack of protection. You kinda dismiss this as irrelevant?

For me this is the main factor. Simpson has to drop deep because he’s essentially on his own down that right hand side. He’s not much good at coming forward and I do get the argument of Puel wanting more of a wing back type player. 

But Simpson has had little chance to develop that side of his game because he’s had to play as an out and out full back. Defensively, he’s been a fantastic servant to LCFC and was a near ever present in the title winning side.

Whether or not we now go for a right wing back and pop Simpson on the bench, I’ll always consider him nothing other than a solid and dependable defender who has pretty much just got on with his job AND actually has been so proficient defensively that Mahrez has been enabled to do what he does best..attack

I do love fans who live in the past.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

The argument that we won the league and therefore should never change a single player was effectively debunked last year.

Whilst it's fair to say we need a RB upgrade for an overlapping wing back, I don't understand all the hate for Simpson (other than strangling the odd wife or two)...wishing him to be out for a lengthy spell, that's the talk of a traitor to the LCFC cause given that we have absolutely no one capable of covering that space...Benny...no, Armatey...no, Albrighton....no, Dragovic...no. Did you not watch the defensive shambles v Watford ? Make no mistake, we ain't going to get a top quality defender or one that even approaches the quality of Simpson in the upcoming transfer window.

I wish him a speedy recovery and want to see him back in the side ASAP.

• Like 3

I've always wondered if Simpson could hack it at CB. Never seen him tried there. He can head the ball, he is intelligent, excellent positioning etc. Whenever we had CB crisis like end of last season I've kind of hoped we would try Simpson there. He's a better defender than Fuchs and we played him there.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

I've always wondered if Simpson could hack it at CB. Never seen him tried there. He can head the ball, he is intelligent, excellent positioning etc. Whenever we had CB crisis like end of last season I've kind of hoped we would try Simpson there. He's a better defender than Fuchs and we played him there.

This is something i've thought for a while. Just like Conte when he went to a back 3, he moved Azpilicueta from RB to a CB. Worked wonders for the team.

2 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

If we want to improve as a side, Simpson and Wes are two spots that need upgrading.

Wes has been a top player for us. But we need to replace. Though for me, as an out an out defender he is better the Maguire, but not as an all round footballer

Simpson even if he was fit, is deffo getting replaced. Personally, looking forward to a RB that can pass, run with the ball and cross. People moan about Mahrez not helping at the back, but I can't wait to see Mahrez with someone helping him on the attack.

Simpson has done well though.