Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adam

Simpson

As long as he is going to be playing behind Mahrez, who's idea of defending is to stick out a leg, he's going to be exposed against sides with real quality.

It won't matter who our RB is if Mahrez is on that wing.

• Like 2

I though he was pretty ordinary today and way below his normal self defensively. We all know going forward he offers next to nothing, but still his 1st touch today was awful. Twice in injury time he was near the half way line and just kicked/ headed the ball out with no player near him. We missed our chance with Fosu Mensah, so Simpson is a guaranteed starter.

He is not the answer, when we are chasing games. But he is a solid defender and it seems like left side has more issues with people constantly free in acres of space (see Sevilla, Atletico and 1st & 3rd Arsenal goal today).

Was poor tonight I thought. Was often caught out by crossfield balls and Lacazette peeling off the back of him.

Not sure if we need an upgrade necessarily as he has been generally nothing but solid for 2 years now, but competition for his spot is sorely needed.

• Like 1

The problem is, he's been playing to his absolute maximum for 2 years. Even in the title win, you'd have still been able to squeeze out a little more from most of the team.

When he's not at his best, he doesn't look up to it. Should definitely be aiming big on a young RB. 

And not an attack on the guy. Was very good last year just think we could find better.

Not sure how anybody can hate on Danny, poor bastard has to work extremely hard with Mahrez in front of him and most of the time does his job, quietly, effectively and deceptively well. As defensive RBs go, I can't pick many better than him in this league, and I'm not taking the piss either. Weak link in defence is Wes. His time is done. 

• Like 3

People need to understand this:

You will always get overrun when you are not a threat going forward!!! Kolasinac and the ox where camping in the team's half.

Riyad didn't play good first half (you can say the full game if you want) but you are kidding yourself if you think he was bad defensively today, when the RB is pretty much staying as deep as he can the winger has to overcompensate for the huge gap that is left. It's that simple!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the fox said:

People need to understand this:

You will always get overrun when you are not a threat going forward!!! Kolasinac and the ox where camping in the team's half.

Riyad didn't play good first half (you can say the full game if you want) but you are kidding yourself if you think he was bad defensively today, when the RB is pretty much staying as deep as he can the winger has to overcompensate for the huge gap that is left. It's that simple!

Thanks 

he was shit the whole game 

even with a better RB he would've still been shit.

lets worry more about Fuchs positional awareness rather than Simpson 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Col city fan said:

There are far more important areas to address than Simpson. One of the most consistently good performers imo.

I disagree. He is reckless and out of position too often. Part of this may be due to Mahrez and if Mahrez leaves maybe he'll be better but I desperately want us to sign a decent RB who at least challenges Simpson for his position and preferably replaces him.

As for Fuchs he's a glory boy now. Wonderful going forward lazy defending. Chilwell needs to replace him and start clocking up the experience.

Morgan did what he does. Plays with his heart and tries as hard as he can, sadly he doesn't have the level needed. 

Maguire looked great though.

Edited by Guest

Absolutely. Think it will be be similar to Maguire. People don't seem to realise there are better defenders than our own out there.

At the very least he should have some competition. Ideally he'd be a solid dependable back up to a right back that can defend well and actually play football.

Very consistent but a liability whilst he has no competition..

The only problem Simpson has is his own motivation, and the workshy player infront of him who never tracks back and leaves him exposed for 85 mins a game.

And if it's not Mahrez shafting him up the backside, he's CONSTANTLY being dragged out of position by Morgans shite awareness.

Edited by cityfanlee23
  • Like 2

Like as already been said, he needs competition for his place, what I don't like about him is that he seems to back himself into the 18 yard box to much then it's to late, needs to get into them.

Spent 57mil this window but have not really sorted the defence which I feel will hurt us again this season even when Huth is fit. Need new blood.