Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

51 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Not entirely sure about that really. Maybe for Pirates who have an outside chance of promotion every year but generally whoever goes down should bounce now, look at Falcons this year. 

The Championship doesn't really have teams who could make a viable charge for the Prem except the odd once in a generation oddity like Exeter. 

If you're Cov or Notts or Bedford and you're an eternal second tier side, then having Tigers or Sarries down for a season no doubt brings economic advantages. 

Agreed on that. It's pretty hard to break into the Premiership and become established unless the funding is there. Very different to football. Although, if clubs spent the money on player development in a better way, there would certainly be better opportunities but it's very difficult.

51 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Agreed on that. It's pretty hard to break into the Premiership and become established unless the funding is there. Very different to football. Although, if clubs spent the money on player development in a better way, there would certainly be better opportunities but it's very difficult.

At the end of the day, the model of those clubs probably isn't even intended to get them promoted. 

They'd have no idea what to do with promotion, they're barely trying to develop, most probably wouldn't even be allowed to go up because their ground and facilities are so clearly semi pro. 

• Like 1

Looks like Sarries are gonna be made to stop further cheating at last then, its pretty plain that nothing or very little has changed this season for them and unless they do something drastic to start playing by the rules they are likely to be relegated no matter where they finish.

They have a big problem now because players have contracts which have to be honoured, even if they are paid off that is still part of the total wage bill.

Can't see how they can get around this now that the spotlight is focused squarely on them... What a shame 🙄

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

At the end of the day, the model of those clubs probably isn't even intended to get them promoted. 

They'd have no idea what to do with promotion, they're barely trying to develop, most probably wouldn't even be allowed to go up because their ground and facilities are so clearly semi pro. 

This is 100% the case for Bedford Blues.

Never been allowed to get promoted as Goldington Road is tiny. 

11 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah, Blackheath and Old Elthamians (OEs) are my local teams and watched them both a few times, both in third tier. OEs are being bankrolled and pushed Ampthill hard for promotion last season but just fell short.

Problem is, OEs ground is literally a clubhouse and push away 'stand' for 100 or so, all on Eltham College grounds.

Considering Ampthill are doing alright in the Championship, it contributes to answering the question on how big the gap is between the top 13 teams in the country and the rest in terms of facilities let alone playing ability.

The inews report is saying Sarries are about to get a further 35 points dock.

Exeter were still pressing for the return of the trophies they "won" at what sounds like a lively meeting!

The picture emerging seems to be even WORSE than previously reported!

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/saracens-news-latest-rugby-premership-drop-second-points-penalty-1368985

5 minutes ago, Realjimbo said:

The inews report is saying Sarries are about to get a further 35 points dock.

Exeter were still pressing for the return of the trophies they "won" at what sounds like a lively meeting!

The picture emerging seems to be even WORSE than previously reported!

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/saracens-news-latest-rugby-premership-drop-second-points-penalty-1368985

There's nothing in the laws and regs to state that's ever really possible. It would be entirely unprecedented. Don't think it's really possible.

But then I didn't think they'd get the second points deduction so what do I know.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

Could Tigers sign up Owen Farrell, Mako Vunipola and Maro Itoje then please? Just askin.

id imagine it was more than just these three that have caused the salary cap issue so i’d love us to sign at least one of them - Vunipola

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MPH said:

id imagine it was more than just these three that have caused the salary cap issue so i’d love us to sign at least one of them - Vunipola

Oh of course, many more, they were - are-paying at least one player a million quid a year! When the cap for the whole squad is only 7 million!

They are way, way over this clearly or they would come clean.

the 3 player thing was just a reply to Swan Lesta.

3 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Surely if HMRC suspect anything and investigate, it’s not up to Sarries if they want to reveal the books or not? 

Yeah probably right.... I really dislike cheating in any sport and rugby is so close to my heart.. I live close to Exeter at the mo and really feel for those lads, straight, honest and sportsman like - robbed by bloody cheats!

As were others including us.

If they (HMRC) didn't suspect anything before I think they might now!!

Hopefully this takes the pressure off Tigers and gives them a chance to rebuild properly. Saracens have been automatically relegated but they can still finish above bottom so the aim should be to at least not finish bottom despite being not able to get relegated. Borthwick looks set to come in after the six nations and supposedly he's coming in as the head coach and not a forwards coach. Interestingly my brother saw Borthwick having dinner with Simon Cohen and Boris Stankovich a couple of weeks ago and Murphy wasn't there. I don't know if that means anything. 

Hope you're right Ben

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Hopefully this takes the pressure off Tigers and gives them a chance to rebuild properly. Saracens have been automatically relegated but they can still finish above bottom so the aim should be to at least not finish bottom despite being not able to get relegated. Borthwick looks set to come in after the six nations and supposedly he's coming in as the head coach and not a forwards coach. Interestingly my brother saw Borthwick having dinner with Simon Cohen and Boris Stankovich a couple of weeks ago and Murphy wasn't there. I don't know if that means anything. 

Hope you're right Ben, I'd also love to see Lancaster at Tigers, he did so much development work as England manager which laid the foundations for Jones.

But I can't see him leaving Leinster anytime soon.

Edited by Realjimbo

On 19/01/2020 at 09:47, Swan Lesta said:

Could Tigers sign up Owen Farrell, Mako Vunipola and Maro Itoje then please? Just askin.

Yeah no worries, if you wouldn't mind just signing here to invest in Owen's new waffle house in St Martins, Maro's Bubble Tea stand in the High Cross and Mako's new pub in Woodhouse Eaves. 

About £5m each should cover it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/01/2020 at 21:59, Guesty said:

I'd heard Borthwick was going to be Head Coach. Murphy was going to be moved to some type of Director of Rugby role.

I really don't see him leaving the England set up just to be a forwards coach.

Borthwick in as Head Coach with Murphy shifting to Director of Rugby. Can’t be any worse than how we’ve been the past few years. Hopefully this gets us back on the upward curve!

• Like 2