Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Leicester Tigers

16 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Steve Borthwick is rumoured to be coming. 

And that will change things ? 

murphy is clueless 

board are desperate to sell 

they will be relegated 

their time as a great club in World club rugby has ended unfortunatly 

they stood still and the sands of time drowned them 

21 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

And that will change things ? 

murphy is clueless 

board are desperate to sell 

they will be relegated 

their time as a great club in World club rugby has ended unfortunatly 

they stood still and the sands of time drowned them 

He's worked with top coaches and is highly thought of. Certainly won't be any worse than Murphy. I may be deluded but I think anyone who is reasonably competent can get that group of players well-drilled and a few places up the table. I generally agree with what you're saying. As embarrassing as it would be maybe relegation in the long-run could be beneficial? It was for the likes of Northampton and Harlequins. 

47 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

He's worked with top coaches and is highly thought of. Certainly won't be any worse than Murphy. I may be deluded but I think anyone who is reasonably competent can get that group of players well-drilled and a few places up the table. I generally agree with what you're saying. As embarrassing as it would be maybe relegation in the long-run could be beneficial? It was for the likes of Northampton and Harlequins. 

He is replacing Murphy ? 

14 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Not unless that's some sort of breaking news. 

It's been lined up for ages this one, the forwards coach just left and Borthwick has been touted for a while to replace him. 

That’s exactly what I heard 

so my point stands while Murphy remains nothing much will change 

he has lost the squad and it’s not even a secret in the villages of south leics 

56 minutes ago, everton carr said:

Seems a bit harsh a bonus point win against a top 5 side seems more accurate 

Was a good result against a side that spend money like its cool. 

Last few performances have been okay going forward, just the usual Tigers defensive frailty. They need a good defence coach so badly. 

May, Manu, Ford, Veainu, Taufua, Lavinini, Genge etc always going to win you games going forward. There's comfortably enough firepower in that side to stay up if they could just learn to defend. 

Need a good few wins under their belt before the six nations now though because international season will kill them again. Ultimately they are where they are partly because of the world cup and how shafted they are without their internationals. 

15 hours ago, Guesty said:

I'd heard Borthwick was going to be Head Coach. Murphy was going to be moved to some type of Director of Rugby role.

I really don't see him leaving the England set up just to be a forwards coach.

I’ve heard this from a colleague at work too. He goes to pretty much all of the games (pre season, home, away etc) and has been involved in rugby for a very long time. Fingers crossed as something needs to change.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Last few performances have been okay going forward, just the usual Tigers defensive frailty. They need a good defence coach so badly. 

Me and my next to no rugby knowledge picked that up yesterday. We were great on the attack but woeful in defence at times, being cut open on so many occasions. 

Side note; the ground was fairly busy yesterday and packed compared to the Ricoh for the Wasps game currently 

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51143657

This could get interesting...

Might save Tigers if they can't save themselves (which I think they will anyway).

They're lining up axing players left right and centre. Sanjay already going back to Scarlets, Kruis is going Japan I think at the end of the year and allegedly Calum Clark, Michael Rhodes and Juan Figallo will be gone by the end of the month. 

The bigger problem is that Maro, George, Faz and Goode are lifers that the RU won't want playing in the second tier and probably wouldn't leave even if they've got contract clauses. The same may even be true of Billy and Mako. 

Plus Daly has just signed in quite possibly the stupidest bit of rugby business this decade.

There's no way England want them playing Championship rugby. 

It'll kill them to release him because he's one of their best players but Tomkins has to make his next contract with a Welsh club now so he could end up going, especially now he can't provide six nations cover but that may be wishful thinking on my part. 

I'm just not sure it's realistic to have expected them to asset strip mid season, making guys unemployed who won't all get new clubs because everyone else is minding the cap. Skelton could probably go back to Super Rugby in time for the season at least. 

I just don't see it happening. You can already feel the Premiership sweating over the prospect of losing one of Sarries or Leicester. I think they'll give stay of execution as long as there's a clear commitment that the Sarries are tidying up in time for next year and that this new threat is basically a polite reminder. 

Edited by Finnegan

Oh and also, if faced with the very real prospect of having to choose between the biggest supported club in English rugby history, ie, the Manchester United of rugby being relegated or sacrificing Saracens to the gods then, yes, I do think it would be highly unsurprising if the Premiership did suddenly find new grounds to relegate Sarries in the event Tigers didn't claw themselves out of this mess. 

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I think they'll give stay of execution as long as there's a clear commitment that the Sarries are tidying up in time for next year

Apparently last night a BBC journo tweeted that the deadline had passed and they HAD been relegated. It was subsequently deleted. 

qlcc3orak8b41.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

An article has appeared now....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51143657

Yeah that's just a tweak of the one posted last night with slight refining of the details. 

It still reads to me like a shot across the bow. A bit of a final warning. 

The bit about them paying off contracts being included in the cap is interesting though because I assume that basically means they need to do transfers as such, as in they've got to find clubs willing to buy out those deals which is very rare in rugby. 

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Oh and also, if faced with the very real prospect of having to choose between the biggest supported club in English rugby history, ie, the Manchester United of rugby being relegated or sacrificing Saracens to the gods then, yes, I do think it would be highly unsurprising if the Premiership did suddenly find new grounds to relegate Sarries in the event Tigers didn't claw themselves out of this mess. 

I don't think the other Championship clubs want Tigers or Saracens to be relegated either. Would mean a wasted season where they cannot be promoted. Saracens/Tigers would shoot straight back up to the Premiership.

27 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I don't think the other Championship clubs want Tigers or Saracens to be relegated either. Would mean a wasted season where they cannot be promoted. Saracens/Tigers would shoot straight back up to the Premiership.

Not entirely sure about that really. Maybe for Pirates who have an outside chance of promotion every year but generally whoever goes down should bounce now, look at Falcons this year. 

The Championship doesn't really have teams who could make a viable charge for the Prem except the odd once in a generation oddity like Exeter. 

If you're Cov or Notts or Bedford and you're an eternal second tier side, then having Tigers or Sarries down for a season no doubt brings economic advantages.