Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

14 minutes ago, thankyouleicester said:

I can't stand people that use mental health as an excuse for NOT working. I am diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety, yet I still take my tablets and go to work every day.

Not everyone is the same. There are definitely mental health problems that can stop people from working. Just because yours don't I think it is a bit judgemental and shows a lack of understanding to just group all mental health issues together like you have. 

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

Not everyone is the same. There are definitely mental health problems that can stop people from working. Just because yours don't I think it is a bit judgemental and shows a lack of understanding to just group all mental health issues together like you have. 

Sorry, I was too broad in my statement. I meant mainly depression and anxiety. I understand my level of mental health, I take tablets every single day. But yes it is a complicated subject for sure.

7 hours ago, thankyouleicester said:

I can't stand people that use mental health as an excuse for NOT working. I am diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety, yet I still take my tablets and go to work every day.

One's experience of mental health issues is completely unique; I'm pleased for you that yours doesn't prevent you from working, but to extrapolate from that that everyone else should be the same is, at best, naive.

Frankly, that's the kind of ill-informed, judgemental nonsense that I expect from someone with no experience of mental health issues; may I suggest you take a good long read of the Depression thread to help broaden your mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 14/02/2021 at 20:46, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Brand Boris works.

It's baffling to many people, yes.

But it clearly works.

The gaffe-prone walking-disaster is in charge of a party which has led in 16 of the past 17 opinion polls.

Brand Boris works.

So what?

Just because a branding works doesn't immediately confer efficacy, suitability, or correctness to it.

So many awful dictators and fascist demagogues in history have been charismatic enough to persuade the populous that they're worth following. It means nothing. The fact that you're lauding a politician that uses a brand is worrying - I couldn't give two shits about whether or not ruffled hair plays in the mothers market - I want policy that does something and a leader who will make the right calls at the right time. Is 'brand Boris' doing that? I think if you looked at it objectively you'd say probably not.

• Like 3

On 14/02/2021 at 20:46, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Brand Boris works.

It's baffling to many people, yes.

But it clearly works.

The gaffe-prone walking-disaster is in charge of a party which has led in 16 of the past 17 opinion polls.

Brand Boris works.

Yes, it would appear to work. It baffles me (admission - I am a card carrying Labour Party member and local official), but when I speak to people on the phone (the only type of campaigning allowed at the moment) the general impression I get is that 'he's doing alright, as it's jolly tough'. 

I've never voted Tory in my life. I just don't feel Tory ideology is for me, but I know Labour has a huge hill to climb. My big hope at the moment is that we see something like what happened after WW2. The Conservative PM Churchill leads us to victory, is feted as a national hero, and consequently booted out by the voters at the subsequent General Election

Edited by harpendenfox

On 19/02/2021 at 07:45, Buce said:

One's experience of mental health issues is completely unique; I'm pleased for you that yours doesn't prevent you from working, but to extrapolate from that that everyone else should be the same is, at best, naive.

Frankly, that's the kind of ill-informed, judgemental nonsense that I expect from someone with no experience of mental health issues; may I suggest you take a good long read of the Depression thread to help broaden your mind.

I did clarify in a further post that I didn't mean all mental health issues. I was too broad in my statement and for that I apologize. 

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or just pandemic fatigue but I'm nowhere near as bothered about getting top 4 as I thought I would be. 

I've enjoyed the Europa League so wouldn't be against playing in that again but top 4 strengthens our position in terms of keeping players and also attracting them.

Any European football is welcome, though.

18 minutes ago, bovril said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or just pandemic fatigue but I'm nowhere near as bothered about getting top 4 as I thought I would be. 

I think the prospect of drawing Barcelona or Bayern or Inter and not being able to go is terrifying for me. On a similar not I would hate to draw AC Milan or Napoli in the Europa League this season for the same reason.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I think the prospect of drawing Barcelona or Bayern or Inter and not being able to go is terrifying for me. On a similar not I would hate to draw AC Milan or Napoli in the Europa League this season for the same reason.

Yeah, same. Was bad enough seeing the club consistently tweet pictures of Prague the other day.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2021 at 10:28, harpendenfox said:

Yes, it would appear to work. It baffles me (admission - I am a card carrying Labour Party member and local official), but when I speak to people on the phone (the only type of campaigning allowed at the moment) the general impression I get is that 'he's doing alright, as it's jolly tough'. 

I've never voted Tory in my life. I just don't feel Tory ideology is for me, but I know Labour has a huge hill to climb. My big hope at the moment is that we see something like what happened after WW2. The Conservative PM Churchill leads us to victory, is feted as a national hero, and consequently booted out by the voters at the subsequent General Election

Fair play for your forthrightness. I'm not much up on political history so I was wondering why Churchill, who was so admired by the Brits after the war, lost to Atlee by a landslide, who was by no means a strong politician (as far as I know), unless Brits held some grievance against the Tory party.

My unpopular opinion. Why do kids in the UK need to be able to analyse poems and do pythagoras just to get into a trade school for something like plumbing or sweep the floor at Aldi. I say this after my nephew got a bad phone call after fvcking up on a maths exam done through the computer in lockdown. My sister didn't answer the phone and I was listed as the schools alternative contact. Had this argument with the teacher over the phone and suffice to say she hung up.

He only wants to be a plumber why must he HAVE to get a C grade in English to get in? I find it illogical. 

Edited by Fightforever
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The morbidly obese shouldn't be given a platform to be 'body positive'. People like Lizzo telling children it's actually great to be obese is a form of abuse. You wouldn't put a person suffering from anorexia or bulimia on a podium and encourage them to advocate for that. 

I think its an addiction and should be treated as such. Needs to be stamped out early. If teachers notice kids getting fat they should be obligated to call parents and if they keep getting fatter the authorities. Same way you would if you found out a kid was smoking or doing drugs. Obesity is terrible for health. I should know I was average weight all my life and since lockdown I have gained a lot of weight. I am in the process of losing it and let me tell you it is soo much easier to never get fat in the first place. I at the peak of my obesity secreted sweat like I just did 90 minutes of football when I only went the up stairs and couldn't even walk to the shops without running out of breath. It's horrible. Baring in mind I am only in my late 20s I should never be having trouble walking to the shops.

Edited by Fightforever

7 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I think its an addiction and should be treated as such. Needs to be stamped out early. If teachers notice kids getting fat they should be obligated to call parents and if they keep getting fatter the authorities. Same way you would if you found out a kid was smoking or doing drugs. Obesity is terrible for health. I should know I was average weight all my life and since lockdown I have gained a lot of weight. I am in the process of losing it and let me tell you it is soo much easier to never get fat in the first place. I at the peak of my obesity secreted sweat like I just did 90 minutes of football when I only went the up stairs and couldn't even walk to the shops without running out of breath. It's horrible. Baring in mind I am only in my late 20s I should never be having trouble walking to the shops.

Lizzo is the worst for advocating this. Actively says she wants to normalise obesity. She's held up as a role model too. 

20 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

If you refuse a covid vaccine and fall ill with covid you should have to pay for your own treatment/get insurance to cover the possibility.

Dangerous road to go down.What if you can’t afford treatment or insurance?Besides we can’t even enforce fines so what chance of this?

1 hour ago, Fightforever said:

My unpopular opinion. Why do kids in the UK need to be able to analyse poems and do pythagoras just to get into a trade school for something like plumbing or sweep the floor at Aldi. I say this after my nephew got a bad phone call after fvcking up on a maths exam done through the computer in lockdown. My sister didn't answer the phone and I was listed as the schools alternative contact. Had this argument with the teacher over the phone and suffice to say she hung up.

He only wants to be a plumber why must he HAVE to get a C grade in English to get in? I find it illogical. 

I think this is a really interesting question. I can see both sides to it. On one side I totally get your argument - practically speaking, a plumber does not need to know about alliteration. But on the other side, education - at least in this country - isn’t all about preparing children for a practical occupation, even if they’re set on what they want to do. It’s also about exposing them to different skills and worlds they might not have experienced otherwise. Maybe he’d love learning about poetry and develop aspirations to write his own? Maybe he’d be enthused by Pythagoras theorem and move instead toward a career in engineering? Most kids probably aren’t inspired in each case, but some will be.

As for why he has to get a grade C in English to become a plumber, he shouldn’t. For those who aren’t academic, I definitely think there should still be a strong English and maths focus at secondary school; but in GCSE years that should probably be on shoring up basic skills rather than analysing Shakespeare or solving quadratic equations.

Guest Harrydc
5 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Let them die then imo. Why should the tax payer fund your crazy conspiracy theories about the vaccine.

So anyone who is morbidly obese, smokes or excessively drinks should not have treatment for related conditions caused by these either? What a ridiculous comment. 

7 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Dangerous road to go down.What if you can’t afford treatment or insurance?Besides we can’t even enforce fines so what chance of this?

I wouldn't go as extreme as Fightforevers solution. Put the legal framework in place so that they can be treated and then a payment plan for their treatment is taken as a proportion of income, like student loans are. Or if the worst is to happen take it out of their estate. 

Just now, Harrydc said:

So anyone who is morbidly obese, smokes or excessively drinks should not have treatment for related conditions caused by these either? What a ridiculous comment. 

Obesity, smoking and drinking is not comparable in my opinion although I do agree the post you quoted was a bit extreme. All you have to do to avoid getting ill is go twice for 20 minutes and get a jab at no cost to yourself. If you say no then why should you get treatment for free if you get ill?