Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

3 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Most of the issues of the world, including racism and sexism and many other isms are far more about class and keeping the “elite” at the top and keeping the poor at the bottom. 
Over centuries we have been conditioned to believe certain people and ways of life are better than others, in order to maintain the status quo... see any newspaper which is primarily aimed at less educated parts of any country and look at their front page headlines. 
A pill isn’t going to change this, even if we all looked the same, we’d be divided by our class, our occupation, or lack of, our education or lack of.

Unfortunately there will always be an elite trying to divide us. The best way to stop this is education, the more educated a community is the less the discrimination will take place - no pill will stop it.

No war but class war and identity politics is just a part of that, eh? Tbh I can see where you're coming from there, though I'm not sure I'd totally agree.

I'd certainly agree that better education is part of a solution, but I do think that "walking a mile in someone's shoes" is educational in of itself.

6 hours ago, peach0000 said:

From a purely ideological standpoint that is certainly true. New Labour pushed towards the centre but in reality ended up on the centre right. It's one of the worst things to happen to our democracy as in reality all it means is there is no real choice at elections. You either can vote for 'Red Centre Right' or 'Blue Centre Right'. 

I'm not sure that I agree with claims that New Labour were 'tory lite' or 'blue labour', especially when it took the coalition or let's face it, tory government no time whatsoever to drastically change or scrap a number of their policies. 

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm not sure that I agree with claims that New Labour were 'tory lite' or 'blue labour', especially when it took the coalition or let's face it, tory government no time whatsoever to drastically change or scrap a number of their policies. 

Every set of people will have their own view points. Even in the Tory party itself people disagree with each other over different issues. Therefore it’s only natural that when the Conservative party took over after 13 years out changes would be made.

Look I’ll be honest I have researched this topic for a phd and the evidence is pretty sketchy. It was concluded in the paper that there had been a general swing right across all political parties but there was insufficient evidence to really draw any more conclusions than that. It was a proper waste of many years of my time  😂

21 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

BLM, 'taking the knee', and other enforced tolerance doesn't have a positive effect on society. 

It does nothing but make those who already agree with equality feel like they're doing something and promote hostility in the sectors it's supposed to address. 

To be honest, over time this is probably true.

The unfortunate question that has to follow, however is...what course of action does address the very real problem in a timely (because that's important) and successful fashion?

36 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

To be honest, over time this is probably true.

The unfortunate question that has to follow, however is...what course of action does address the very real problem in a timely (because that's important) and successful fashion?

Education has demonstrated the ability to change bigotry over a period of time. 

Harsher punishments short term. 

All this gesturing and grandiose motioning does nothing except promote apathy. It isn't action. 

58 minutes ago, LanguedocFox said:

People who call the Prime Minister 'Boris' as if he is their mate. Even Labour politicians and labour-supporting newspapers do it, and it merely reinforces his self-created 'brand' as a kind of jolly fellow who may be a bit untidy but whose heart is in the right place. Whereas the reality is that he is a lazy, dishonest, incompetent narcissist who is, to quote Eddie Mair, a nasty piece of work.

Are you @Facecloth

Are you @Facecloth

Are you @Faceclothin disguise?

Are you @Faceclothin disguise?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Education has demonstrated the ability to change bigotry over a period of time. 

Harsher punishments short term. 

All this gesturing and grandiose motioning does nothing except promote apathy. It isn't action. 

A period of time that, while I'd agree with you, many people in the firing line (not in the UK necessarily) believe to be too long and are running out of patience - as well as the unfortunate fact that some people simply do not wish to be educated no matter what form it takes.

As you infer with the harsher punishments line, there does need to be an adjutant to it short-term.

1 hour ago, LanguedocFox said:

People who call the Prime Minister 'Boris' as if he is their mate. Even Labour politicians and labour-supporting newspapers do it, and it merely reinforces his self-created 'brand' as a kind of jolly fellow who may be a bit untidy but whose heart is in the right place. Whereas the reality is that he is a lazy, dishonest, incompetent narcissist who is, to quote Eddie Mair, a nasty piece of work.

Brand Boris has been underway since about 2000 when he first started appearing on Have I Got News For You.

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Brand Boris has been underway since about 2000 when he first started appearing on Have I Got News For You.

Earlier than that, I think. Interestingly, no-one among his family and friends calls him 'Boris' - that's how much of a created brand he is. Tw@t.

20 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Thank you for providing evidence of my above hypothesis.

No problem, went uni there for 3 years, loved it, but blimey there are some grim uns up there.it is not a myth I can tell you from first hand experience. Far more than Leicester and we have plenty

6 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

3 hours ago, LanguedocFox said:

Interestingly, no-one among his family and friends calls him 'Boris' - that's how much of a created brand he is. Tw@t.

He's done pretty well creating that brand then (regardless whether you like him or not) and that brand has helped him win twice in London (not a Tory heartland overall), the Tory leadership and a whopping majority as Prime Minister.

A lot of people clearly like him and buy into Brand Boris.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

He's done pretty well creating that brand then (regardless whether you like him or not) and that brand has helped him win twice in London (not a Tory heartland overall), the Tory leadership and a whopping majority as Prime Minister.

A lot of people clearly like him and buy into Brand Boris.

Not sure “he” deserves any credit for that, to split hairs. I’m sure he has a very good and very well paid team of PR and marketing professionals working for him, who I agree with you, have done very well in building his brand. 

If anything, he’s done more to harm his “brand” than build it tbf lol the episode in the freezer is the obvious gaff that comes to mind. But he isn’t the first and won’t be the last politician to completely set about destroying their own public image. 

Edited by Manini

3 minutes ago, Manini said:

Not sure “he” deserves any credit for that, to split hairs. I’m sure he has a very good and very well paid team of PR and marketing professionals working for him, who I agree with you, have done very well in building his brand. 
If anything, he’s done more to harm his “brand” than build it tbf lol the episode in the freezer is the obvious gaff that comes to mind. But he isn’t the first and won’t be the last politician to completely set about destroying their own public image. 

The episode in the freezer ... the "gaffe" that 'harmed him' ... was just before he won an unexpectedly massive majority yeah? lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The episode in the freezer ... the "gaffe" that 'harmed him' ... was just before he won an unexpectedly massive majority yeah? lol

If you honestly truly believe he won an election because of his personality and what he represented as opposed to there being no viable opposition and the promise of getting Brexit done then fair play mate I respect your opinion. The bloke regularly comes across as an absolute turd who I imagine has that well paid PR team with their head in their hands - which is what we’re on about here. 

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

If you honestly truly believe he won an election because of his personality and what he represented as opposed to there being no viable opposition and the promise of getting Brexit done then fair play mate I respect your opinion. The bloke regularly comes across as an absolute turd who I imagine has that well paid PR team with their head in their hands - which is what we’re on about here. 

Brand Boris works.

It's baffling to many people, yes.

But it clearly works.

The gaffe-prone walking-disaster is in charge of a party which has led in 16 of the past 17 opinion polls.

Brand Boris works.

23 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Brand Boris works.

It's baffling to many people, yes.

But it clearly works.

The gaffe-prone walking-disaster is in charge of a party which has led in 16 of the past 17 opinion polls.

Brand Boris works.

As someone who appears to be a big Mr Johnson fan from what I've seen you post/tweet, what is it about that brand that you find appealing? Genuine question.