Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

4 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I would feel more comfortable with financial penalties that having them held down and vaccinated. But I'd be fine with either option.

Another idea is they could have to pay a different rate of national insurance and can have the vaccine at any point to reduce their rate.

All of these financial ideas are still punishing people for making a choice they were free to make, which I don't think is comfortable at all.

Let me make one thing clear, I work in science and hate anti vax movements. I'd love there to be a system to encourage vaccine uptake, but it is difficult the implement legally and morally.

My only thought, which the govt has ruled out, has been that once everyone has been offered the chance to be vaccinated, there should be vaccine cards, just like we had for yellow fever in the 60s. No card, no entry to planes, clubs, theatres. There's consequences to the decision not to vaccinate in that you're being removed from places where you're likely to catch the virus (or pass it on asymptomatically, which the vaccines seem to also reduce), but that forms part of your decision (and also nudges the undecided to thinking life would be better having taken the vaccine).

43 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Stop with the trendy "strawman" bullshit

What you have said is total crap.

There were/are people who dont believe in addiction and therefore like you, believe that people are responsible for their decisions.

Red meat is NOT dubious, it is just ignored because so many people like it.
Football injuries are self inflicted and given your attitude should not be treated.
Car accidents are self inflicted and given your attitude should not be treated.

You dont get to decide how others live

im not going to go on but

The fact you have come across the phrase before and think it's a mere trend without any self-introspection tells me a lot about how logic works with you. Your probably the type that just argues for the sake of winning. 

Red meat is dubious. Cancer cannot be directly caused by enviromental factors in most cases. Enviromental factors just increase the likely hood of a mutation happening that does end up causing cancer. It's more up to chance and the individual's family history than enviromental factors in most cases.

Addiction does exist and vilifying it doesn't help. We deal with addiction in the wrong way in society.

Football is exersise. I would rather people kept fit via playing sports at the risk of getting injured than having a nation full of unfit people that can't walk up the stairs without running out of breath. Which also would cost the national health service a lot more money than a few broken bones would.

I don't decide how others live but I can judge their character based off their actions and form opnions based off those actions. 

Edited by Fightforever

47 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

I wouldn't hold your breath. To give you some insight into the lunacy.

My aunt's daughter is telling her kids in primary school not to listen in science classes since it teaches "anti-Islamic teachings" (evolution) and teaches kids to get vaccinated.

I do worry about them and other kids in their situation.

When I asked her who told her that she said that someone on her mosque's group chat told her that their child was taught by her teacher that evolution was real so she thought to warn her kids.

I was born here and can barly hold a conversation in Albanian but since my family is BAME and Muslim (I am also technically BAME but I look as northern european as it gets for an ethnic Albanian, I am not Muslim and I have an English accent so it would be unfair for me to appropriate the hardships they may suffer due to the stereotypes regarding BAME communities and what not) they didn't assimilate as much as I did so I get an insight into the communities they are part of and how they think such as the muslim mosque whatsapp group chats they are in, the way they think, react to news events and at times it feels like they live on a different planet.

I do worry for their children I don't mind Islam but anti science view points are dangerous and it seems to be a recurring theme amongst their community sadly.

Forgive me for reading this halfway through, are mosques taking this stand of being anti vax?

25 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Forgive me for reading this halfway through, are mosques taking this stand of being anti vax?

Not all and not officially. Basically they have group chats on platforms such as whatsapp to organise things such as prayer meetings and what not and some people within those groups decide to post anti vax material in them hence why BAME is much more unlikely to take the vaccine. From what my mum (a religious Muslim who thankfully believes in vaccines) has showed me they tend to mix in religious messages with the anti vax posts to make it seem more convincing to Muslims who will of course believe their faith over the unbeliever's medicine and science.

Also memebers in these sorts of groups tend to be in multipule of the same type of group chats and anti-vax messages that are posted on one of these tend to get shared onto most of them eventually. 

Edited by Fightforever
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Not all and not officially. Basically they have group chats on platforms such as whatsapp to organise things such as prayer meetings and what not and some people within those groups decide to post anti vax material in them hence why BAME is much more unlikely to take the vaccine. From what my mum (a religious Muslim who thankfully believes in vaccines) has showed me they tend to mix in religious messages with the anti vax posts to make it seem more convincing to Muslims who will of course believe their faith over the unbeliever's medicine and science.

Also memebers in these sorts of groups tend to be in multipule of the same type of group chats and anti-vax messages that are posted on one of these tend to get shared onto most of them eventually. 

That's a little bit frightening and saddening.

I hope people can see sense, get the vaccine and still believe in their faith. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

That's a little bit frightening and saddening.

I hope people can see sense, get the vaccine and still believe in their faith. 

Just to be clear Islam and vaccines aren't at odds at all. Its just that some people within the Islamic community from what I have been told are spreading their anti vax bullshit throughout the community and using Islam as a cover for their idiocy. 

15 hours ago, bovril said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or just pandemic fatigue but I'm nowhere near as bothered about getting top 4 as I thought I would be. 

14 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I think the prospect of drawing Barcelona or Bayern or Inter and not being able to go is terrifying for me. On a similar not I would hate to draw AC Milan or Napoli in the Europa League this season for the same reason.

14 hours ago, peach0000 said:

Braga was the big one for me. I've wanted to visit that ground for years! But Milan would be another level of disappointment :(

I think there's a sad irony in us not being able to go to the games in what could be arguably end up our most exciting season ever. Imagine the buzz of European nights at the KP, and a home tie last eight aganst United, not to mention the away trips in Europe.

Having to watch them on TV playing in an empty ground has devalued those games in some sense.

Edited by Buce

I get what people are saying regards missing out on being at the exciting games and missing the thrill of it all that you get when you are there. But I like to see the bigger picture. If we succeed this season, we are more likely to have these times again when we are allowed back. Just gotta ride it out and accept it for what it is.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I love the party aspect of going to weddings, its basically my clubbing these days. Well, pre covid days.

1 minute ago, SemperEadem said:

Yeah going to a mates wedding is ace.

Yeah it’s ok to go weddings, get pissed and have a good time but think about the poor groom. His wedding day is basically the beginning of the end for him.

16 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'd like it if we stopped normalising low key misogyny as just 'lads banter.'

I was never really much in to Brooklyn 99 when it first came out, it was the sort of generic, American E4 comedy that I thought I wasn't in to. You know, all dick and fart jokes, lowest-common-denominator crap. Yeah I'm a snob.

But my other half is a big fan so I caught a lot of it casually while she was watching and I grew more in to it. There's a main character who's both black and gay and none of the jokes are really at the expense of it, or overly reliant on it in any tokenistic sense. It's very naturally written. It's refreshing. But what I love even more is Terry Crews' character, who plays this huge big, butch, intensely masculine character who is married with kids. A lot of the humour is about his marriage and family but they do it without being negative. There's no dull, boomer, prehistoric oLd BaLl AnD cHaIn gags, he's not resentful of his wife, he's not resentful of his kids, he plays an active roll in both his marriage and the upbringing of his daughters. It doesn't go out of its way to enforce outdated gender roles but it doesn't make a huge, big preachy, "SJW" show of resisting them either. It just... gets on with it.

If you ever catch me making one of these just shoot me ! 

4 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

I really don't understand the whole 'getting married and having kids' thing. It's so unappealing to me. 

Been married 30 years and have 3 kids and I love it, but it's obviously hard work and not for everyone. 

Never really understood the laddish humour about getting married and having kids as being like a prisoner though. Can't say my relationship changed at all after I got married and still love my wife as much as I did years ago when we first met, it was just a really great day and I guess in a world dominated by admin it's just tying up a legal contract essentially, but being married feels no different to just living with your partner for me at least.

I'm not religious at all and I do sympathise with same sex couples and how marriage was used by society as a way to discriminate against them for so long. But I don't think marriage is necessarily old fashioned. It's just a nice event to have and a good legal contract that makes it easier to sort out mortgages and life insurance and next of kin and wills etc. essentially. Obviously that part of it is more important as a contract if one of you is from another country though and it gives you an extra legal standing to be tied to your country of residence.

Maybe one thing I think is that it should be easier to divorce though. I think some of the pressure feeling which makes people feel like a prisoner comes from how difficult divorces are and how difficult marriages are to get out of, even if there's no malice or hard feelings but you just both agree the relationship has run its course.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 4

I'm sure this one was mentioned early in this thread but tipping in restaurants is nonsense. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the customer to ensure that the person serving can afford to live. That should be covered in the cost of the meal/drinks. When I go to a supermarket to buy groceries or go and put fuel in my car I'm not expected to tip the person behind the counter. Likewise when I go to a site to carry out a noise and dust survey I don't expect to be tipped for good service.

Edited by BenTheFox

3 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm sure this one was mentioned early in this thread but tipping in restaurants is nonsense. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the customer to ensure that that the person serving you can afford to live. That should be covered in the cost of the meal/drinks. When I go to a supermarket to buy groceries or go and put fuel in my car I'm not expected to tip the person behind the counter. Likewise when I go to a site to carry out a noise and dust survey I don't expect to be tipped for good service.

Alright Mr Pink. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'm sure this one was mentioned early in this thread but tipping in restaurants is nonsense. It shouldn't be the responsibility of the customer to ensure that that the person serving you can afford to live. That should be covered in the cost of the meal/drinks. When I go to a supermarket to buy groceries or go and put fuel in my car I'm not expected to tip the person behind the counter. Likewise when I go to a site to carry out a noise and dust survey I don't expect to be tipped for good service.

I assume carrying out a noise & dust survey pays considerably more than a waiter/waitress or supermarket check out staff on the minimum wage.

Edited by boots60

26 minutes ago, boots60 said:

I assume carrying out a noise & dust survey pays considerably more than a waiter/waitress or supermarket check out staff on the minimum wage.

Why the hell should that matter. If I'm expected to tip everyone that gets payed less than me I'd soon be asking for tips myself. 

Shite system somehow sneaking its way over here from Murica despite being regularly mocked over here. Better to keep raising the minimum wage than let the ****s in charge get away with this crap. 

• Like 1