Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Why the hell should that matter. If I'm expected to tip everyone that gets payed less than me I'd soon be asking for tips myself. 

Shite system somehow sneaking its way over here from Murica despite being regularly mocked over here. Better to keep raising the minimum wage than let the ****s in charge get away with this crap. 

That is essentially my point. Of course I believe that restaurant staff should make enough money to live. My issue is that their salary should cover their living costs and that they shouldn't have to rely on customers being charitable and paying above the price listed on the menu. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Restaurants now get around it by automatically adding a "service charge" to the bill. Which I don't like. 

Most of the time it's not compulsory you pay, but it makes you look like a twat if you don't want to.

I've tried to do it with mates before but the majority of the group don't want to "kick up a fuss."

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Why the hell should that matter. If I'm expected to tip everyone that gets payed less than me I'd soon be asking for tips myself. 

Shite system somehow sneaking its way over here from Murica despite being regularly mocked over here. Better to keep raising the minimum wage than let the ****s in charge get away with this crap. 

I am probably in a minority here but if you have had a nice meal with decent friendly service who (apart from a tight wad) would begrudge a gratuity to a low paid member of staff?

Restaurants now get around it by automatically adding a "service charge" to the bill. Which I don't like. 

I have always refused to pay this & passed on a tip directly.

27 minutes ago, boots60 said:

I am probably in a minority here but if you have had a nice meal with decent friendly service who (apart from a tight wad) would begrudge a gratuity to a low paid member of staff?

It isn't about being tight. It's about creating, or at least allowing to fester, a system that let's companies use and abuse the people at the bottom and expect others to pick up the tab. If you can't afford to pay your staff, raise your prices, like every other profession has to. That way it's spread across every customer, not just the select few that leave tips. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

It isn't about being tight. It's about creating, or at least allowing to fester, a system that let's companies use and abuse the people at the bottom and expect others to pick up the tab. If you can't afford to pay your staff, raise your prices, like every other profession has to. That way it's spread across every customer, not just the select few that leave tips. 

In an ideal world I would agree 100%

We do not live in an ideal world.

If someone has been serving me drinks and food for an hour or two while I've been sat on my arse then I'm happy to throw them in a couple of quid extra. Especially if they've been pleasant and gone out of their way to make extra accomodations. Equally I don't think there should be a stigma against tipping, if you don't want to tip then it shouldn't be expected

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

If someone has been serving me drinks and food for an hour or two while I've been sat on my arse then I'm happy to throw them in a couple of quid extra. Especially if they've been pleasant and gone out of their way to make extra accomodations. Equally I don't think there should be a stigma against tipping, if you don't want to tip then it shouldn't be expected

This is about right. I genuinely don't mind tipping, it's the expectation that I struggle with.

I fell out badly with a friend about this, though. She was so upset that I didn't tip. She worked in a pub/restaurant and was outraged at the thought of people who didn't tip. She expected it for the work she put in and crap she took.

My low-paid background is in supermarket work, and I never got a tip. Add that to my lack of tipping and we came to blows over it. She was astonishingly entitled, I genuinely couldn't believe it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boots60 said:

Tipping is an Americanism. It's done over there because their waiting staff are paid pennies an hour. The staff over here get a decent wage. 

It shouldn't be thrust on the bill and should be entirely optional. It's an added extra. 

For the record I tip when I feel like I've had a good service or they've been polite and attentive. But making it a refusal is really sneaky - folk will pay it out of being uncomfortable and that's not right. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

This is about right. I genuinely don't mind tipping, it's the expectation that I struggle with.

I fell out badly with a friend about this, though. She was so upset that I didn't tip. She worked in a pub/restaurant and was outraged at the thought of people who didn't tip. She expected it for the work she put in and crap she took.

My low-paid background is in supermarket work, and I never got a tip. Add that to my lack of tipping and we came to blows over it. She was astonishingly entitled, I genuinely couldn't believe it.

Did she apologise afterwards? Fair play in a heated exchange straight after the incident, but surely after a sleep she realised she was bang out of order? lol

Unless of course you were being a dick about it haha

10 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Did she apologise afterwards? Fair play in a heated exchange straight after the incident, but surely after a sleep she realised she was bang out of order? lol

Unless of course you were being a dick about it haha

Hahah we get on so well so I tried not to be a dick. I was almost so shocked I was being nice to stop myself exploding. At the time she even said that her opinion of me had "dropped a little bit." It was all a bit weird tbh. I'd imagine it if she'd come from a massive tipping culture like the USA, but a leafy Leicestershire village is definitely not the USA.

We spoke about it a few weeks later, buried the hatchet and agreed to disagree, (not the hill for a friendship to die on) but obviously she still thinks everyone in the service industry should be tipped, absolutely 100%, if they've done a good job.

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Tipping is an Americanism. It's done over there because their waiting staff are paid pennies an hour. The staff over here get a decent wage. 

It shouldn't be thrust on the bill and should be entirely optional. It's an added extra. 

For the record I tip when I feel like I've had a good service or they've been polite and attentive. But making it a refusal is really sneaky - folk will pay it out of being uncomfortable and that's not right. 

This. I'm always wary of tipping. If I've had good service, I will ask the waiting staff how they get their tips. If they say it all goes in a pot and gets shared out I will tip them directly otherwise some lazy disinterested knob-end will be getting something they don't deserve.

Edited by Parafox

37 minutes ago, Parafox said:

This. I'm always wary of tipping. If I've had good service, I will ask the waiting staff how they get their tips. If they say it all goes in a pot and gets shared out I will tip them directly otherwise some lazy disinterested knob-end will be getting something they don't deserve.

I'm the opposite.

I want it shared out between the chefs, waiting staff and dish cleaners - as long as it doesn't go to management.

Never understood why people want it solely to go to the waiters and not the cooks or cleaners too. Is it not just as, if not more important that your food is good and everything is hygienic than it is having good table service?

• Like 2

I'd want it to go to the person who's been serving me because they've been dealing with me personally and that's precisely  what I'm tipping them for. I'm not tipping as a well done to the entire restaurant staff. 

The people in the back don't deal face to face with the diner, or need to have any personal skills in dealing with people, and they don't have to run back and forth all night. If they share it out between the staff who rotate waiting/bar/concierge etc then fair enough but I'd still rather it went in the pocket of the person I've dealt with. 

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

The chefs/pot washers don't face the public but still work hard, it's only fair they get a share. 

My lad does pot washing weekends whilst at college .Gets paid a pittance and they WONT give them a share of the tips.

He is absolutely delighted he is getting furlough money.Payback as he calls it.

• Like 2

I'd want it to go to the person who's been serving me because they've been dealing with me personally and that's precisely  what I'm tipping them for. I'm not tipping as a well done to the entire restaurant staff. 

The people in the back don't deal face to face with the diner, or need to have any personal skills in dealing with people, and they don't have to run back and forth all night. If they share it out between the staff who rotate waiting/bar/concierge etc then fair enough but I'd still rather it went in the pocket of the person I've dealt with. 

Cogs and wheels .

Need to educate yourself on how it works at the back.They don’t stop and really get some shit jobs.

You can do what you want btw.

• Like 3

It never works like that in reality though.

Dish cleaners do an honest, good day's work and get paid nothing - I would never he surprised if I learnt a lot of them are immigrants being taken advantage of who don't even get minimum wage. Chefs only get paid well in more upmarket restaurants and it's pretty infamous for chefs to have to work crazy long hours often 60+ hours a week because the pay is so poor.

They're all on a pittance, but difference is the waiters get the tips. Not saying they don't do a good job or don't deserve it, but really fail to see why just because they're the one you "face" they should get everything extra.

Are you just tipping for the service though? Or is it just that good dishwashers and good chefs go unnoticed to you when they're doing a good job?

Let's put it another way - if the food was bad and chronically undercooked and your cutlery was filthy, would you still want to leave a tip?

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Blimey.

my lad is washing pots whilst at college.Gets paid £4.25 an hour with no tips.

Different line of work but We are desperately busy at my work and he works there when needed.My MD has said to me I should be so proud of how hard he works,thinks on his feet and will look straight away for the next job.

Asked how much he gets at the restaurant and doubled it.

What I’m trying to say is you have made a huge assumption “lazy,disinterested knob end” to a massive proportion of staff you don’t know( not just my 17 year old) 

• Like 4