Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

6 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

Could not fault one single word of what you have said but can`t understand why you would put this in the unpopular opinions thread? In my world anyone who held the opposite opinion would be massively unpopular to say the least. 

Put it here because it seems more and more that people are jumping on the slogan without thinking about the implications of their posts. I get really disillusioned when people on social media jump on a bandwagon to look good to their friends without thinking of the implications of their posts. Guarantee that 90% of people that have posted ‘defund the police’ on their social media have done it to look good to their contemporaries rather than thinking about the issue itself. Sorry, rant over.😀

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Blur said:

To be fair,  from my quite limited knowledge of the movement,   I have read about the proposals for alternative models put in place with people from other professions filling in differing facets of the role that the police plays and I also understand that the police would be still in place with limited role reserved for major or serious crimes including this type of fieldwork?   Forgive me if this is not the case but I just wanted to add some objectivity to the debate rather than painting the movement as black and white in their aims.  

I also just wanted to add that I am not trivialising the abuse at all,  it is clearly a major and heartbreaking issue that truly need to be stopped.

Mate, my knowledge is probably (definitely) more limited than yours. My post was probably more down to worry - it seems that it’s always the ‘behind the scenes’ things that are cut to the bone before the front line services that people will notice are cut.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sampson said:

Back in the 60s and 70s they underachieved massively though. It wasn't just about what they won but how often they came close to winning. Much like Liverpool in recent years really.

In the early 70s, Leeds were the biggest side in the country, no doubt about it. But they constantly finished runner-up in everything.

Despite their success under Revie, at the time they were still considering underachievers somewhat. They should have dominated the late 60s and early 70s like Liverpool dominated the 80s and Man United dominated the 90s, but would often fall short at the last hurdle.

13 hours ago, Manini said:

Yeah true. Didn’t win loads but if you ask anyone from that era they all seem to say that Leeds were the absolute pinnacle at the time. My dad always goes on about how good they were and both my grandads did too. 

Agree they were the best side in the Country then, and possibly one of the best sides in the World (with a Champions League final), which is another reason why their fan base is massive. People take the piss out of fake Man Utd/Liverpool fans now but there's just as many Leeds fans but their issue is Leeds aren't as good anymore which was sort of my point. They've had a stint of success in a couple periods, mainly in the early 60's to mid 70's under Revie, but it's not consistent as people seem to suggest.

One good manager winning stuff for them, similar to Clough at Forest. Phenomenal, don't get me wrong, but once Revie left they got relegated less than a decade later. Obviously won the league again early 90's, as we all know, and had about 9 good seasons out of 15 before getting relegated again. Then spent all these years in the second tier including three or four in the third tier.

They aren't any different in size to a club like Forest, similar sort of history. But I wouldn't call them as big as clubs such as Everton/Villa.

Edited by Fox92
noticed a type now I'm not on mobile

47 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

The the social media based ‘hate’ of Liverpool is very sheep behaviour.

I find lots of stuff about them insufferable but the Feed the Scousers and Sign On chants, Victimpool etc are just shite and small-time.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Corky said:

I find lots of stuff about them insufferable but the Feed the Scousers and Sign On chants, Victimpool etc are just shite and small-time.

I find it cringe/strange when any other fanbase apart from Manchester United sing Feed The Scousers, Sign On etc. The rivalry between the Cities throughout history is massive, you only have to hear people like Gary Neville talk about how Man Utd hate Liverpool more than they do Man City.

1 hour ago, foxoffderby said:

Its about time LCFC fans stop giving Robbie Savage stick...it was 20 years ago. It wasn't his fault we got relegated and he had to join brum and derby 

I thought part of it was the fact that he suddenly turned from Mr Derby to Mr Leicester the minute we had a bit of success in terms of media coverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanNDH88 said:

Especially from Manchester clubs were poverty is actually higher 

I've read that it was used a lot when the two Merseyside clubs were dominating and it was the only stick to beat them with.

Now, with poverty and foodbank use so high in most areas of the country, it sounds dated and just crap. I know it's terrace "humour" but it belongs, if it ever did, 35 years ago.

And this one might not be unpopular depending on who you know, but...

I want tech to advance to the point where every aspect of human identity and appearance can be changed by anyone as easily as taking a couple of pills to combat an infection. When that day comes, perhaps humans as a species will then become less obsessed with the importance of the idea of identity in general.

(Of course, you'd have to be sure it wasn't misused for criminal purpose, but I'd like to see the theoretical capability there.)

6 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Since "new labour", the labour party is further right than the conservatives of the 60s

From a purely ideological standpoint that is certainly true. New Labour pushed towards the centre but in reality ended up on the centre right. It's one of the worst things to happen to our democracy as in reality all it means is there is no real choice at elections. You either can vote for 'Red Centre Right' or 'Blue Centre Right'. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

And this one might not be unpopular depending on who you know, but...

I want tech to advance to the point where every aspect of human identity and appearance can be changed by anyone as easily as taking a couple of pills to combat an infection. When that day comes, perhaps humans as a species will then become less obsessed with the importance of the idea of identity in general.

(Of course, you'd have to be sure it wasn't misused for criminal purpose, but I'd like to see the theoretical capability there.)

That’s absolutely crazy, there is no way that idea would be good for humanity in any way. I can’t see it ever being a thing we can do and I can’t see a single benefit of doing it - other than very dangerous reasons.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

That’s absolutely crazy, there is no way that idea would be good for humanity in any way. I can’t see it ever being a thing we can do and I can’t see a single benefit of doing it - other than very dangerous reasons.

:dunno: The benefit was inferred in my original post.

Throughout history there has been hostility and discrimination based on identity and appearance, and those aspects are, right now, often set in stone. Take away the permanence of identity and the idea that "you can't change who you are" and you reduce some of that discrimination in the first place. Being "another person", seeing the world through their eyes, breeds empathy, which can be no bad thing either.

Of course, there will always be other reasons for humans to try to discriminate against each other, but we're not looking for a perfect solution there.

Edited by leicsmac

49 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

:dunno: The benefit was inferred in my original post.

Throughout history there has been hostility and discrimination based on identity and appearance, and those aspects are, right now, often set in stone. Take away the permanence of identity and the idea that "you can't change who you are" and you reduce some of that discrimination in the first place. Being "another person", seeing the world through their eyes, breeds empathy, which can be no bad thing either.

Of course, there will always be other reasons for humans to try to discriminate against each other, but we're not looking for a perfect solution there.

Most of the issues of the world, including racism and sexism and many other isms are far more about class and keeping the “elite” at the top and keeping the poor at the bottom. 
Over centuries we have been conditioned to believe certain people and ways of life are better than others, in order to maintain the status quo... see any newspaper which is primarily aimed at less educated parts of any country and look at their front page headlines. 
A pill isn’t going to change this, even if we all looked the same, we’d be divided by our class, our occupation, or lack of, our education or lack of.

Unfortunately there will always be an elite trying to divide us. The best way to stop this is education, the more educated a community is the less the discrimination will take place - no pill will stop it.

• Like 1