Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I completely get where you are coming from. Perhaps hypocrite is the wrong word, but like you say to some degree from his personal point of view he must be looking back on elements of his career with a heavy heart and is using his reputation and position in society to help ease these feelings and also press home the message that we need to change our ways. 

My stance is, whereas no one has a past void of errors in misjudgment, but some should consider these things when trying to deliver a message as important as this they should probably be careful with their deliverance, particularly when you tell people we need to stop eating meat, only to admit in an interview he is not strictly veggie, tell those we shouldn't be going on holiday on a plane, when you've clocked up over 200,000 air miles yourself, and to say having kids is contributing to the climate issues, all are true, but when you can't practice what you preach or don't, should your deliverance be different? I personally just think it somewhat taints the validity of their message, and with all of the information out there does it support the correct advice or the extreme advice born from an ideology. 

I certainly won't be abandoning my efforts to be as green as possible just because I think his latest messages are tainted, but if I were to be lectured by someone, i'd want a full thoroughly balanced approach with pro's con's and a bit of personal experience thrown in I.E "yes I have traveled a lot, I do have kids and I have only in the last few years reduced my meat intake, but due to my life experiences I feel compelled to tell you that...." If that makes sense? 

I Just worry that certain generations are incapable of seeing balance, are incapable of seeing the bigger picture of an argument, that they feel the world is black and white, with simple and often extreme solutions to the issues life presents. And I just worry, that notable figures Like Sir David's message's need to be tailored to be accepted by those with these views... It just makes for unbalanced and messy information being put out there. 

I guess I am a stickler for details and that's what I like to see. 

I certainly don't disagree that given the world we live in that a carefully considered and tailored message depending on the history of the messenger can have a greater positive effect.

I guess I just worry that even issuing the debate at all contributes to the overall misconception held (and often actively pushed) by some folks that because people who point out how the world needs to change are hypocritical, that the world doesn't need to change. Because it does, and if we don't play our part the Earth will do it for us, and I'm not sure humans as a species would like that.

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

Disagree with this. I think it's awful and I really struggle to give a shit about any game that isn't Leicester.

Can't wait for fans to come back. 

Agree with this. I do take the point about sterile atmospheres though, and I didn't think I'd miss it that much, but there's still something about the drama of a goal being scored, or the moaning of the crowd at a referee's decision. It's such hard work watching some LCFC games, nevermind other teams at the moment.

10 minutes ago, bovril said:

Disagree with this. I think it's awful and I really struggle to give a shit about any game that isn't Leicester.

Fans being back will be great, the great goals and late winners deserve the drama of a packed crowd going mad.

But I haven't missed the crap songs, the Sloop John B megamix and "It's not football any more" being blared out.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Corky said:

Fans being back will be great, the great goals and late winners deserve the drama of a packed crowd going mad.

But I haven't missed the crap songs, the Sloop John B megamix and "It's not football any more" being blared out.

You can add the "You're not fit to referee" chant to that.......same tone of prissy petulance: pathetic!

Bring back "who's the bastard in the black?" ......even "we all agree, the referee is a wunker" would be better. :D

I do find that being unable to go to matches means I'm losing some interest, though.....despite us at times playing some of the best football I've ever seen, it's just not as good on a screen. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I certainly don't disagree that given the world we live in that a carefully considered and tailored message depending on the history of the messenger can have a greater positive effect.

I guess I just worry that even issuing the debate at all contributes to the overall misconception held (and often actively pushed) by some folks that because people who point out how the world needs to change are hypocritical, that the world doesn't need to change. Because it does, and if we don't play our part the Earth will do it for us, and I'm not sure humans as a species would like that.

Most people don't have a problem with scientists or politicians having to travel or even dedicated campaigners doing so.  Its the virtue-signalling celebs who live their life one way and think they have a valid platform to tell the rest of us to live another way which turns people off.

8 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Most people don't have a problem with scientists or politicians having to travel or even dedicated campaigners doing so.  Its the virtue-signalling celebs who live their life one way and think they have a valid platform to tell the rest of us to live another way which turns people off.

I'm not entirely sure that's true, Jon.

If it isn't most people, enough people have a problem to make the public discourse very, very blurry when urgency requires it to be crystal clear on the problems faced and how to address them.

41 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm not entirely sure that's true, Jon.

If it isn't most people, enough people have a problem to make the public discourse very, very blurry when urgency requires it to be crystal clear on the problems faced and how to address them.

There are definitely people actively stirring the pot for their own gain.  It is a problem.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

There are definitely people actively stirring the pot for their own gain.  It is a problem.  

I'm gratified that we agree there, then.

What baffles me is how these people are either ignorant or flat-out nihilistic in thinking that such problems either won't pivot upon them in the end (no matter how much influence they have) or don't care about it.

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Man City and Chelsea have never been 'small' clubs. I would have considered both of them in top ten biggest clubs in the country even before their respective takeovers. 

Does anybody with any ounce of football knowledge think they were small though? Both were average or just above average, more than anything, surely.

Chelsea didn't win a league title for 50 years but were a pretty consistent top flight side, winning the odd cup competition here and there. Pretty much like Spurs now or better.

I think Man City have only played in the third tier once. I never thought of them as small personally, more an average club.

Edited by Fox92

On 10/02/2021 at 16:20, Corky said:

All this Emptyhead stuff makes me laugh. Most of the clubs in this country would've loved the level of backing Manchester City had during their lean (and even worse) years.

On a slightly different theme, I don't think Everton's history and standing is talked up enough. Lots of league titles and FA Cups, record top flight seasons, big fanbase in a city with the dominant team in the country and one of the biggest in Europe. In a perverse way, their reputation has suffered from not being relegated, not being a fallen giant.

I find it amazing how people go on about Leeds despite the fact they have only won about one more trophy than us (1 league cup, 1 FA Cup and 3 top flight league titles). Myth of a "big club" and nowhere near as big as the likes of Everton and Villa.

Amazing fan base but it's the biggest one club City in the Country.

Edited by Fox92
  • Sad 1

On 10/02/2021 at 16:20, Corky said:

All this Emptyhead stuff makes me laugh. Most of the clubs in this country would've loved the level of backing Manchester City had during their lean (and even worse) years.

On a slightly different theme, I don't think Everton's history and standing is talked up enough. Lots of league titles and FA Cups, record top flight seasons, big fanbase in a city with the dominant team in the country and one of the biggest in Europe. In a perverse way, their reputation has suffered from not being relegated, not being a fallen giant.

I don't particularly like either Everton or Liverpool, but I don't particularly like any side other than us, but I do feel the city as a whole is dismissed because the it's quite despised by large numbers outside of sport.

The fans and alike deserve a lot of stick for the nonsense they come out with, and it is frustrating that every possible sports broadcaster is littered with ex Liverpool players, but there is a reason many say 'Scouse not English' that goes way beyond arrogance. 

That being said, I sincerely hope neither wins a trophy this season or the foreseeable future :ph34r:

On 08/02/2021 at 23:31, oakman said:

Anyone who is onboard with the the whole ‘defund the police’ movement is an absolute d**k. Currently watching the most harrowing stuff on Channel 4 about the abuse of children. If you’re all about ‘defund the police’, the 100 policemen/women who are visible on the street aren’t going to change, what you’re advocating for is taking funding from the people who have to deal with all the shitty stuff we never hear about.

Could not fault one single word of what you have said but can`t understand why you would put this in the unpopular opinions thread? In my world anyone who held the opposite opinion would be massively unpopular to say the least. 

50 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I find it amazing how people go on about Leeds despite the fact they have only won about one more trophy than us (1 league cup, 1 FA Cup and 3 top flight league titles). Myth of a "big club" and nowhere near as big as the likes of Everton and Villa.

Back in the 60s and 70s they underachieved massively though. It wasn't just about what they won but how often they came close to winning. Much like Liverpool in recent years really.

In the early 70s, Leeds were the biggest side in the country, no doubt about it. But they constantly finished runner-up in everything.

Despite their success under Revie, at the time they were still considering underachievers somewhat. They should have dominated the late 60s and early 70s like Liverpool dominated the 80s and Man United dominated the 90s, but would often fall short at the last hurdle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Back in the 60s and 70s they underachieved massively though. It wasn't just about what they won but how often they came close to winning. Much like Liverpool in recent years really.

In the early 70s, Leeds were the biggest side in the country, no doubt about it. But they constantly finished runner-up in everything.

Despite their success under Revie, at the time they were still considering underachievers somewhat. They should have dominated the late 60s and early 70s like Liverpool dominated the 80s and Man United dominated the 90s, but would often fall short at the last hurdle.

Tbf, they were robbed of a European Cup win only by the most blatant corruption by officials that I've ever seen.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Sampson said:

In 1969/70 Leeds were on for the treble of League, FA Cup and European Cup but ended up winning nothing as they had to play 18 matches from the end of February to the end of April, including 6 games in 9 days from 26th March to 4th April. They had to play 3 games (Thu, Sat and Mon) before a European Cup semi-final v Celtic on the Wed.

Unbelievable really how clubs moan today about too many matches when you also consider the pitches they played on back in those days.

http://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/Seasons/1969-70/ClubResults/1969-70.LeedsUnited.html

On 08/02/2021 at 23:31, oakman said:

Anyone who is onboard with the the whole ‘defund the police’ movement is an absolute d**k. Currently watching the most harrowing stuff on Channel 4 about the abuse of children. If you’re all about ‘defund the police’, the 100 policemen/women who are visible on the street aren’t going to change, what you’re advocating for is taking funding from the people who have to deal with all the shitty stuff we never hear about.

To be fair,  from my quite limited knowledge of the movement,   I have read about the proposals for alternative models put in place with people from other professions filling in differing facets of the role that the police plays and I also understand that the police would be still in place with limited role reserved for major or serious crimes including this type of fieldwork?   Forgive me if this is not the case but I just wanted to add some objectivity to the debate rather than painting the movement as black and white in their aims.  

I also just wanted to add that I am not trivialising the abuse at all,  it is clearly a major and heartbreaking issue that truly need to be stopped.

Edited by The Blur

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah true. Didn’t win loads but if you ask anyone from that era they all seem to say that Leeds were the absolute pinnacle at the time. My dad always goes on about how good they were and both my grandads did too. 

• Like 1

On 09/02/2021 at 16:46, bovril said:

I'm just glad there's regular footy on telly at the mo, almost daily, Good evening routine and arguing with the kids, with or without the crowd noise!