Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

The Iborra Thread

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We still needed another creative alternative as well. All 5 of our central midfielders have zero ability to make a telling pass, they're all very slow bar Ndidi and have a nose bleed if they cross the half way line. How many DM's does a team need? We collect strikers and defensive midfielders like they're rare coins.

I agree ...   we should have bought Silva (with time to spare !!), and told DD he was going nowhere ...   problem solved.

Guest CityFan 06

Good on the ball, which is an advantage for us considering we don't keep the ball too well. 

Needs to to be a bit more zipper in his passing, probably used to a slower build up in Europe. I like him though, I think the more he plays the better he will adapt to the Prem. 

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

I thought we went for Silva first but they shafted us at the last minute ..   not sure so correct me if I'm wrong.

We tried for Silva in the same window we signed Slimani.

But then we seemed to have other targets when Shakey took over with Iborra being one of them. Silva rarely mentioned until the last few days when DD was gaining momentum.

I don't think Silva is a Shakey choice

Certainly hit and miss last night but again, we're so quick to judge.

Both him and Iheanacho are playing in completely contrasting styles to what they're used to and they need a run of games rather than the odd one here and there

With Iborra, you don't play regular for Sevilla as captain if your not half decent. More than good enough for us but needs time

1 minute ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Certainly hit and miss last night but again, we're so quick to judge.

Both him and Iheanacho are playing in completely contrasting styles to what they're used to and they need a run of games rather than the odd one here and there

With Iborra, you don't play regular for Sevilla as captain if your not half decent. More than good enough for us but needs time

Heard the same thing about Inler, it's a different game over here and I think someone as slow as him will struggle, do hope I'm wrong though.

Just now, MattP said:

Heard the same thing about Inler, it's a different game over here and I think someone as slow as him will struggle, do hope I'm wrong though.

This guy was captain of a team that won the Europa League 3 times so he's clearly talented.

Possibly may play better in a 3 but lets give him the benefit of the doubt after his first Premier League start

14 hours ago, DelBoy73 said:

Will never fit in a two men midfield, he lacks the pace and work-rate needed to.

He used to play at his strengths at Sevilla, in front of the back-line in a 3 men midfield, you just can't ask him to switch from a position to another on such short notice and expect first class output 

I hope the people responsible for his signing were planning to replicate that same set-up with Silva/Drinkwater in the mix; otherwise our recruitment team will have some serious explanations to provide. 

I could have wrote that myself.

He'll never be able to play effectively in a two man midfield as he isn't quick, hard working or mobile enough and at 29 years old that ain't changing anytime soon. His only position is the holding midfielder in a 4-1-4-1 from what I can see.

I never wanted him to sign for us in the first place as he nearly signed for Sunderland for £7m the season before but we paid £12m for a Sevilla reserve who was now a year older. Another fecking waste of money he'll be.

2 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

This guy was captain of a team that won the Europa League 3 times so he's clearly talented.

Possibly may play better in a 3 but lets give him the benefit of the doubt after his first Premier League start

Let's not pretend he was Sevilla regular at the point we signed him, he left because he was surplus to requirements.

Looks solid and strong on the ball, would probably look more impressive playing in a role that suits him.

It's like having a player like Jamie vardy and then lumping long balls for him to challenge in the air with 2 centre backs...

2 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Yes maybe but this was over a few years he was a regular. Hardly makes him a bad player

I didn't say he was, plenty of good players have struggled in this league.

Inler was a good player as well, just didn't fit in here.

Just now, ScouseFox said:

best thing he did and the quickest he moved all night was when he got subbed

Are you Andy King's relative by any chance? ;) 

It's baffling to see folks writing the guy off after he's only started one league game for us (in which he played okay IMO).

He's a massive improvement on King and also considerably better than out of form DD (watch him rotting at Chelsea bench). Besides we don't have any other choice if Shakes persists with two in midfield, after the Silva **** up :/ 

18 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

Are you Andy King's relative by any chance? ;) 

It's baffling to see folks writing the guy off after he's only started one league game for us (in which he played okay IMO).

He's a massive improvement on King and also considerably better than out of form DD (watch him rotting at Chelsea bench). Besides we don't have any other choice if Shakes persists with two in midfield, after the Silva **** up :/ 

But is he an improvement for us playing the way we do? I think he's a very good player but he's slows the play down so much which is fine in a team full of confidence and fluidity. We need to be upping the tempo not slowing it down. He basically played like Andy King but more negatively so if he was King, he'd get lambasted. He's going to need a hell of a lot of time at this rate to suit our style of play (or lack of!).

15 hours ago, DelBoy73 said:

Will never fit in a two men midfield, he lacks the pace and work-rate needed to.

He used to play at his strengths at Sevilla, in front of the back-line in a 3 men midfield, you just can't ask him to switch from a position to another on such short notice and expect first class output 

I hope the people responsible for his signing were planning to replicate that same set-up with Silva/Drinkwater in the mix; otherwise our recruitment team will have some serious explanations to provide. 

How dare you talk sense? Slate him dammit!

was always pointing, always looking for movement and wasn't getting it. 

this is clearly a guy who can knock passes about in midfield and open teams up but every time he looked for someone all he found was a bunch of statues.

played in a 3 where he is allowed to pick a pass and isn't supposed to be a workhorse then he will be effective. 

we are absolutely becoming a team that takes talented players and turns them into doggo by either playing them in the wrong position, not playing them at all or playing them in a system that doesn't suit them.

it's either shit recruitment, shit management or BOTH. 

1 minute ago, dmayne7 said:

But is he an improvement for us playing the way we do? I think he's a very good player but he's slows the play down so much which is fine in a team full of confidence and fluidity. We need to be upping the tempo not slowing it down. He basically played like Andy King but more negatively so if he was King, he'd get lambasted. He's going to need a hell of a lot of time at this rate to suit our style of play (or lack of!).

Good question, I'm worried about it too. It's evident he's used to a different, more passing/possession oriented style of play and is rather unwilling so far to send any risky through balls to our strikers (who were pretty isolated upfront and most balls send their way were lost regardless) So the question is, will he change his style or will he/or the manager make the team around him adapt to his style (which seems rather unlikely atm)? It's pretty obvious he'd like to influence the tempo and style of the game but he does seem a bit out of place. Still, only one game and judging by his passing alone one can see he is still rusty. He needs games just as any other player. He can only get better.

42 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

Because you think the way we play is leading us anywhere? Hoofing the hot potato and hope for a miracle? He didn't play like King. At all. Granted he's slow, he tried to pass forward whenever he could. Thing is there is 0 movement forward. Take a closer look at where the players are when we have the bal. If you find a player nearer than 6 yards of the (eventual) passer I'll be damned.

This 4-4-fcking-2 is killing it. The new signings will never shine and we'll keep playing King and Shinji while +80M Pounds of talent will rot on the bench.

2 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Because you think the way we play is leading us anywhere? Hoofing the hot potato and hope for a miracle? He didn't play like King. At all. Granted he's slow, he tried to pass forward whenever he could. Thing is there is 0 movement forward. Take a closer look at where the players are when we have the bal. If you find a player nearer than 6 yards of the (eventual) passer I'll be damned.

This 4-4-fcking-2 is killing it. The new signings will never shine and we'll keep playing King and Shinji while +80M Pounds of talent will rot on the bench.

So just to be clear, when King plays (or Amartey, James) there's loads of movement in front of him? Nope. I'm simply being objective about it but people love an agenda on here.

He's a very good footballer but not what we need at the moment. Maybe the managerial change will benefit him in the long term.

And the style of play was awful this season. Don't think I hinted at anything else?

26 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

So just to be clear, when King plays (or Amartey, James) there's loads of movement in front of him? Nope. I'm simply being objective about it but people love an agenda on here.

He's a very good footballer but not what we need at the moment. Maybe the managerial change will benefit him in the long term.

And the style of play was awful this season. Don't think I hinted at anything else?

I have nothing personal against King. Nothing. He still does play safe, i.e. side or back passes and rarely ever take the ball forward. Even when there is an opportunity to do so.

The style of play is shite. On that we can all agree. Wether it was down to the players who didn't want to play something else (which is bad because it means the manager had no power in the dressing room) or the manger's obtination (which is equally bad since it didn't work) we'll know soon enough. King would look better (as anyone else) when we finally bin this damned 4-4-2 that has been a blessing and curse since Kanté left.

Archived