Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

The Iborra Thread

Guest TheBear
4 minutes ago, davieG said:

He wasn't much of a step from King, yes he's probably not 100% match or team fit and needs a 3 man midfield to show his true worth but you could say plenty of that about King who I think plenty would accept would be better in a 3 man midfielld.

So why doesn't the manager see this and play 2 players in a 3 to help them both.  Everyone can see it bar the manager!

10 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

just imagine if andy king had ever played that badly. he’d have been JFK’d before half time. iborra was absolutely atrocious from start to finish. 

You sir need a trip to spec savers he’s head and shoulders better than king. If there are no options to pass to he has to go sideways or short or risk being called hoofer.

1) we have been worked out

2) our manager is outthought every week by his opponent

3) the system no longer works

4) the players heads are down

change please

Shoot me.. .. but he improved from his last start.  

His first touch kept the ball at his feet.  He got forward in to the centre forward position. ..though this was rarely spotted by the others.

Where he needs to improve is by a willingness to play a speculative forward ball.  Threading it through. Too many times he played a safe sideways pass.  His pass completion stats must be amaxing.  He needs to be more speculative.  

This start was an improvement. .. hes not going backwards yet. 

Dont bin him off

At the time I couldn't understand why we signed him as I failed to see what he would add to what we'd already got. If it was for his experience and ability to control the midfield, then on early evidence he looks a complete dud. Did we really need another unenterprising, one-paced midfielder when we already have James and King?

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

He was ALWAYS in space, always giving an option for a pass.  He also moved the ball around better than most other players.  Yes he looked a little slow, yes he misplaced a couple of passes and I am in no way saying he was Pirlo but this forum is just a fvcking joke these days.  He showed promise.  The team were not very good but I don;t think he can take that much of the blame.  X

Totally agree.

This forum has become painful.

We are so desperate to slate players it really doesn't matter about their performance.

Just now, TheBear said:

So why doesn't the manager see this and play 2 players in a 3 to help them both.  Everyone can see it bar the manager!

Because he hasn't got the options he was hoping to have No Silva, James injured, Choudhury not ready for it yet, Amarty with question marks over him. 

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Shoot me.. .. but he improved from his last start.  

His first touch kept the ball at his feet.  He got forward in to the centre forward position. ..though this was rarely spotted by the others.

Where he needs to improve is by a willingness to play a speculative forward ball.  Threading it through. Too many times he played a safe sideways pass.  His pass completion stats must be amaxing.  He needs to be more speculative.  

This start was an improvement. .. hes not going backwards yet. 

Dont bin him off

I think you could say that about King

Just now, davieG said:

I think you could say that about King

I like king. .   He is reliable but has less potential.  Surely Iborra is just coming to terms with the pl.  Its not a competition... this is the iborra thread!

I was trying to be positive about Iborra and hightlight how he should be able to improve.

Why are you sooo touchy? 

Just now, foxinsocks said:

I like king. .   He is reliable but has less potential.  Surely Iborra is just coming to terms with the pl.  Its not a competition... this is the iborra thread!

I was trying to be positive about Iborra and hightlight how he should be able to improve.

Why are you sooo touchy? 

Oh I agree and I wasn't being touchy just using your post to show that people, not necessarily you are happy to provide excuses for one player but not another.

At his stage of integration and with the problems with the team set up I just didn't think there was a lot of difference between him and King and frankly that showed with the overall performance.

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

He was ALWAYS in space, always giving an option for a pass.  He also moved the ball around better than most other players.  Yes he looked a little slow, yes he misplaced a couple of passes and I am in no way saying he was Pirlo but this forum is just a fvcking joke these days.  He showed promise.  The team were not very good but I don;t think he can take that much of the blame.  X

100% agree with this. He looked comfortable with the ball at his feet, not treating it like a hot potato. 

I thought Iborra was OK last night. Defensively he did a good job and gave Ndidi more licence to play up the field. Of course, West Brom are unusual in that they too are a counter attacking team who don't want possession so we must take that into account. But their free-kick apart I don't think WBA ever looked like scoring and I think Iborra played a part in that. I did think that he was sloppy going forwards though with good ideas but loose passing. He looked a lot better than against Liverpool in the cup though.

He's clearly made for playing in a midfield 3 though, and think this will be exposed against Everton unless we change formation.

Tidy on the ball, al be it at his own pace which reminds me somewhat of the dud Inler!

Totally obvious for all to see that he would be much more comfortable in a 3, something that we will never play..So why sign him in the 1st place ?

And yet, the biggest concern is that Iborra must have been a 1st choice signing in front of Silva!

Iborra isn't the problem, Ndidi is.

Constantly wasteful in possession, getting the wrong side of the opponent in his own half, switching off defensively. Seems to be a fixture in the team. Potential yes but he's miles off the finished article for me.

A lot of moaning here about all our recent midfield acquisitions that they can only play in a 3. We only got away with 2 in our title win because of Kante being exceptional, almost superhuman.

Can anyone come up with any names that could truly replace Kante and enable us to play with just 2 in central midfield?

54 minutes ago, TheBear said:

The problem with us going 3 in midfield is there's still zero creativity amongst any of them and we've one of the most atrocious attacking full backs in the league in Simpson to give any extra ammunition going forward. We'd effectively be playing 4-5-1 and hoping that Mahrez and Gray or Albrighton can give any sort of creativity to Vardy. If you play 3 central midfielders, one of them has to be creative and attacking and we've a squad full of very defensive midfielders. Ndidi seems to have lost all flair and care free abandon, he's institutionalized in to the way we play now and I worry it's going to be hard to free the shackles on him.

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Thought Iborra was steady, perhaps a little unenterprising.

No need to dismiss him so quickly.

I tend to agree but I'm under no illusion that the opposition last night at home made it as easy as he's ever going to have it in this league. Against any team interested in foraging forward that play quick and incisive passing and he's going to be bang in trouble. He's a man for slow possession based football and we're about as suited to that as a vegan is up Nandos. Our recruitment team and our managerial team seem to be at complete odds with one another. If we are to persist with 4-4-2 then you sign players that are capable of playing in that system. Inler, Mendy, Kramaric, Musa and Iborra. All players that just cannot play that way and yet we think we can just throw them in and they'll be sound. Either look at your group of players and pick a system best suited to them or don't fcukin sign such players. We haven't signed a single striker since Okazaki that is suited to 4-4-2. Slimani is marginally capable of playing deep with Vardy or even along side him but as we seem to be all about the counter and very little interest in meaningful crosses, he is limited in his impact on games. I despair. We also don't care about bringing in a right back who could give us more attacking influence, we're happy to stick Amartey there if Simpson needs a rest.

Iborra is going to find it very hard here, it doesn't help we're struggling as it seems we can do nothing right at the minute and you fear Silva won't be as good as what we all hope as we're in free fall and there's no-one off the field with a clue on how to resolve it. So to clarify, I think in the next few games we'll see Iborra get worse and worse and we'll have ran out of options in midfield.

25 minutes ago, deep blue said:

A lot of moaning here about all our recent midfield acquisitions that they can only play in a 3. We only got away with 2 in our title win because of Kante being exceptional, almost superhuman.

Can anyone come up with any names that could truly replace Kante and enable us to play with just 2 in central midfield?

A lot of teams only play with 2 central midfielders, they just have a system that allows them to defend and attack in unison. 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3 only has 2 central midfielders which a lot of clubs are now playing, but the 3rd central defender if played shrewdly can offer immediate help to the central midfielders as can the number 10. 4-4-2 is so rigid if your 2 central midfielders aren't dynamic and fast thinking. Kante was unbelievable but that also allowed Drinkwater the freedom to sometimes sit deep and dictate play or surge forward and create, they worked tirelessly as a partnership and it was sensational. Drinkwater and Ndidi started to work as he's a quick thinker and it then meant Ndidi could focus on breaking up play and when the time presented itself he could break forward, but James, Iborra and King are too defensive and slow. They are plodders and we are bogged down with no creativity to take the shackles off. We also have no protection from our defence when we get cut wide open, this is why it's scandalous we've not recruited a proper number 10 or at least some creative number 8's if we're going to persist with 4-4-2. We only have ourselves to blame and any change in system now still leaves us with a midfield pairing that is mediocre at best. A midfield 3 of Iborra, King/James and Ndidi would be horribly negative as well.

11 hours ago, Claridge said:

Cart horse, but better than king

10 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Looks crap in a 2 man midfield but still better than king. 

Fook me we've got a crap cart horse and someone even worse than a crap cart horse !! ...   we are in serious trouble !    :o

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Drinkwater and Ndidi started to work as he's a quick thinker and it then meant Ndidi could focus on breaking up play ...

So we were half way there but needed to replace DD ..    wasn't that meant to be Silva ? ...   just going to have to wait a bit for that I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Rigga said:

And yet, the biggest concern is that Iborra must have been a 1st choice signing in front of Silva!

I thought we went for Silva first but they shafted us at the last minute ..   not sure so correct me if I'm wrong.

Just now, Countryfox said:

So we were half way there but needed to replace DD ..    wasn't that meant to be Silva ? ...   just going to have to wait a bit for that I'm afraid.

We still needed another creative alternative as well. All 5 of our central midfielders have zero ability to make a telling pass, they're all very slow bar Ndidi and have a nose bleed if they cross the half way line. How many DM's does a team need? We collect strikers and defensive midfielders like they're rare coins.

3 hours ago, Wolfboy said:

We bought Iborra before we sold drinkwater, he was not our replacement. The club brought him in to add depth and a bit more quality.

Thats what I thought ..

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

We signed Iborra and sold Drinkwater.....

Answers on a fookin postcard please....?

Are you getting Iborra and Silva mixed up Col ?

Archived