Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gerard

Slimani

Had a great game today, especially in the second half. Honestly I thought he had already played his last game for us having been left out of the Carabao Cup squad against Man City, but today he reminded us that he is a striker capable of playing in and scoring goals in the Premier League. I have no doubt that Slimani would be a starter and probably even a key player for other teams in the league if he played for them.

His problem has always been that he and Vardy are the type of strikers to lead the line so don't really compliment one another, and Slimani hasn't shown he is better than Okazaki at the number 10 / support striker role. It's not that Slimani has ever been a bad player, just not quite as good as the Vardy / Shinji combination. 

It will be interesting to see if he stays with us or not. As of right now he's a better alternative to Ulloa or Nacho with the goals he gets. You can also never fault his work rate or character, he always seems willing to fight for himself and the team.

• Like 3

Love the way people moan that we only play one way (counter-attacking) and also moan about Slimani "not fitting the way we play".

Personally, I think he provides something different. The problem is, he doesn't play well with Vardy. Think Nacho might gel better with him, but when are they ever going to get the chance of a regular run out together?

Maybe if we had paid £40 million for Vardy some would not be so harsh on him. Price tags have gone silly not his fault and his stats are not as bad as people think. With the right service he can do more good than bad but if we are only playing with Vardy up top with supporting players around him having to be a plan B or playing 2nd fiddle to Vardy hardly makes him the Donkey some portray him as. Hopefully gets more game time on sat as he offers more than the other back up strikers at the moment.

10 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Had a great game today, especially in the second half. Honestly I thought he had already played his last game for us having been left out of the Carabao Cup squad against Man City, but today he reminded us that he is a striker capable of playing in and scoring goals in the Premier League. I have no doubt that Slimani would be a starter and probably even a key player for other teams in the league if he played for them.

His problem has always been that he and Vardy are the type of strikers to lead the line so don't really compliment one another, and Slimani hasn't shown he is better than Okazaki at the number 10 / support striker role. It's not that Slimani has ever been a bad player, just not quite as good as the Vardy / Shinji combination. 

It will be interesting to see if he stays with us or not. As of right now he's a better alternative to Ulloa or Nacho with the goals he gets. You can also never fault his work rate or character, he always seems willing to fight for himself and the team.

+1 

He and Vardy are not complementary, both like to take up space in a 4-3-3 or 4-4-1-1 formation, Especially for Slimani, he becomes restrained when playing in other formations featuring two center forwards.

I think Claude Puel should have given him more chances in December to shine like Mahrez, and then sell him in January for a good price near the amount spent for him 18 months ago.

10 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

Never looked at it that way... Good post, although I am one of those where the die is cast and I can't see a way back for slim from what I've heard direct from players that's he's a bad apple, and from what I've seen in his 15-20 min cameo's. I just can't see him ever being g a regular for us, we need another option, just not him

This is interesting, anyone who has played sport at half a decent level knows this is fundamental, hence many managers’ diligence and work into potential players’ attitudes. If this is true I struggle to see how he will get the run he needs to win over colleagues and fans but am also mindful about the context of why he is a ‘bad apple’. 3 managers, up and down seasons, star players being sold... it obviously doesn’t make for a stable environment. Hopefully we have a manager who will bring consistently improving results and give everyone a clean slate. If we can stabilise the squad and give him more game time we can rebuild his confidence and turn his disillusionment into a more motivating factor in the squad. We are assembling some good leaders now and I think if he can’t turn this ‘bad apple’ attitude around he will be forced out but we must prepare an environment to help him thrive, just like we must for all the players we bring in.

15 minutes ago, TaggertvsWise said:

This is interesting, anyone who has played sport at half a decent level knows this is fundamental, hence many managers’ diligence and work into potential players’ attitudes. If this is true I struggle to see how he will get the run he needs to win over colleagues and fans but am also mindful about the context of why he is a ‘bad apple’. 3 managers, up and down seasons, star players being sold... it obviously doesn’t make for a stable environment. Hopefully we have a manager who will bring consistently improving results and give everyone a clean slate. If we can stabilise the squad and give him more game time we can rebuild his confidence and turn his disillusionment into a more motivating factor in the squad. We are assembling some good leaders now and I think if he can’t turn this ‘bad apple’ attitude around he will be forced out but we must prepare an environment to help him thrive, just like we must for all the players we bring in.

This on-going "bad apple thing" is what I don't get. As he scored his team mates were all around him and seemed to be genuinely happy for him. It was the case every time he scored. He can be a moaner on the pitch but a bad influence in the dressing room is something i can't get my head wrapped around.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

This on-going "bad apple thing" is what I don't get. As he scored his team mates were all around him and seemed to be genuinely happy for him. It was the case every time he scored. He can be a moaner on the pitch but a bad influence in the dressing room is something i can't get my head wrapped around.

People like to make up things in their heads then they keep repeating them and they start to believe it themselves.  Like Gray "having a bad attitude".  People are weird.  To me Slim looks like a man possessed sometimes on the pitch, he always looks up for it.  He looks frustrated sometimes but that is a good thing, he looks so desperate to perform.

X

• Like 4

The other things that happen are a) people only see what they want to see b) people (and I witnessed this) heckle certain players more, based on a pre-conceived position, and thus c) when the hecklee does something alright, it doesn't get seen - twas ever thus, in my experience.

Slimani wasn't great 1st half, I grant you, but he was trying hard and some things were ok, he wasn't universally awful by any reasonable assessment.

• Like 3

What people would do well to remember is that as a striker it's a confidence thing the longer they go without scoring the more frustrating it gets not only for the player but also the supporters. Remember when Vardy first came to the club he struggled and people started getting on his back and saying we wasted money on him, but look at him now. 

Hard to expect a player who hasn't featured to come in and be match fit, sharp and bang in form. Slim needs game time to boost his confidence, really we persist with Vardy at the top for every game. Vardy is a big game player where bigger opposition will allow space behind the defence, Slim is effective where we need strength and height to break teams down who "park the bus". He adds another dimension and should feature more!

Happy to see the rotation and it's refreshing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

People like to make up things in their heads then they keep repeating them and they start to believe it themselves.  Like Gray "having a bad attitude".  People are weird.  To me Slim looks like a man possessed sometimes on the pitch, he always looks up for it.  He looks frustrated sometimes but that is a good thing, he looks so desperate to perform.

X

I did hear it from vardy himself so make of that what you will 

4 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

X

I don't think Gray ever had a bad attitude, I think that's just the attitude of his generation. He only knows the one he has and it will take time to instill another into him, if it is at all possible of course. My feeling is it isn't.

Edited by Colourmy

1 hour ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

You may be right and he may have said that but ultimately its the manager who will make the decision ..   sometimes once we get a little bit of information we think we have the full picture ...  maybe he does wind a few players up ..  but maybe he gets on well with Mahrez and that might help to keep him here ..  who knows ..   all I'll say, (and I've said it before) is, in Claude we trust.   Personally I like him, he puts in a good shift, can run hard for 90 minutes, gives us different options, and definitely has goals in him.  His first touch and decision making would most likely improve with more game time and more confidence.

4 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

So if one payer says one other player is a bad apple then they must be?  Not saying he is not but lots of people don;t get on with other people and it does not mean they are fundamentally a bad apple.  The other players seemed to be very happy for him when he scored and I have never read him complaining about game time or kicking off too much.  Life is all about opinions I suppose so never a bad thing to disagree.  I personally rate him and would like him to stay. X

• Like 1