Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

2018 Deathlist

Guest MattP
31 minutes ago, cambridgefox said:

@MattP battled alcohol most weekends and won.

most of his cracking stories would never of happened without it!

lol

Just means I won't see 60!

Guest MattP
16 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

An easy day’s work for the pallbearers  

I know a guy that does this.

"A good carry" is the term used in the pall bearing community for guys like him.

5 hours ago, MattP said:

lol

Just means I won't see 60!

Don't bank on it.

Back in my misspent twenties, there was one bloke in our social circle who was a worse pisshead than I was. He used to say that he'd never make 30.

I heard the other day that he and his partner have just adopted a kid. Presumably he's now expecting to make at least 65-70...   :D

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Don't bank on it.

Back in my misspent twenties, there was one bloke in our social circle who was a worse pisshead than I was. He used to say that he'd never make 30.

I heard the other day that he and his partner have just adopted a kid. Presumably he's now expecting to make at least 65-70...   :D

You just never know do you?

I still think 80 is about right, just at the time you struggle to walk but still of sound mind.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Just watched Marr and it was full of gushing tributes for Tessa Jowell (which mostly sounded sincere, to be fair).

Yet nobody has a kind word to say for Denis Nilsen? :ph34r:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/12/serial-killer-dennis-nilsen-dies-in-prison-aged-72

8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

RIP Lois Lane. Admit it, there was something kinda sexy about her back in the day...

Lois Lane actress Margot Kidder dies aged 69

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44115166

Shame. Loved those Superman films when I was a kid (except for Superman IV, one of the biggest disappointments of my early cinema going experiences). Just can't get into the modern Marvel and DC superhero guff (maybe because I'm not 7 anymore).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

RIP Lois Lane. Admit it, there was something kinda sexy about her back in the day...

Lois Lane actress Margot Kidder dies aged 69

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44115166

Shame to hear that, 69 is rather young these days. At least she died peacefully in her sleep.

Heard she suffered from bipolar disorder for decades.

Will always be THE Lois Lane to me, growing up watching the older Superman movies. Sexy and smart - and cute.

Her and Christopher Reeve were just so adorable together.

R.I.P.

• Like 1

Ray Wilson: England World Cup-winning defender dies

1 hour ago

Ray Wilson (right) played in all six of England's games at the 1966 World Cup

Ray Wilson, a member of England's World Cup-winning side, has died, aged 83.

At 31, the left-back was the oldest player in Sir Alf Ramsey's starting XI which overcame West Germany 4-2 in the 1966 final at Wembley.

He spent most of his club career at Huddersfield Town before moving to Everton, where he helped the Toffees win the 1966 FA Cup.

Derbyshire-born Wilson, who also played for Oldham and Bradford City, had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

Ray was a great man and he will be missed by so many people

The Terriers said in a statement they were "devastated" to learn of Wilson's death and added: "He was a regular supporter at home match days alongside his eldest son Russell despite battling Alzheimer's disease."

Everton also paid tribute to their former player, saying Wilson was "unquestionably one of the finest footballers to wear the royal blue jersey".

Former Toffees boss Joe Royle, who made his Everton debut the year Wilson helped them to FA Cup success, said: "He is a World Cup winner and played in the last England team that had four, maybe five, world-class players. He was certainly one of those.

"He was the best of his kind at the time. And he was a top guy, always there with a smile or a helpful word. I played a few reserve games with Ray and it was like listening to a maestro. He knew his stuff."

Wilson's England team-mate Sir Bobby Charlton also paid tribute to his "close friend".

The 80-year-old said: "Lady Norma and I are deeply saddened by the awful news that Ray has passed away

"We shared some wonderful memories throughout our career and I had the pleasure of being his room-mate. Ray was a great man and he will be missed by so many people."

Wilson was born in Shirebrook on 17 December, 1934, and was given the name Ramon, in tribute to Mexican Hollywood actor Ramon Novarro.

He joined Huddersfield at the age of 17 in 1952, having previously worked on the railways. Wilson played in a forward role and in central defence before trying his hand at left-back, where he was advised to remain by reserve-team coach Bill Shankly. It was when Liverpool's legendary manager took charge of the first team in 1956 that the defender's career flourished.

Wilson went on to win the first of his 63 England caps in 1960 when he featured in the 1-1 draw against Scotland. He remains the last Terrier to play at a World Cup while at the club, having played at the 1962 tournament.

After 283 appearances Wilson joined Everton in 1964. Silverware came in a memorable 1966 when Wilson helped the Toffees beat Sheffield Wednesday 3-2 in the FA Cup final before helping England to World Cup success a few weeks later.

The defender played 154 matches for the Merseyside club before joining Oldham in 1969. He finished his career in 1971 at Bradford, a team he also managed for just 10 games.

Wilson, who went on to open an undertaker business in Huddersfield, was appointed an MBE in 2000.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...