Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

2018 Deathlist

Ellie Soutter death: Father criticises pressure on athletes
54 minutes ago

Ellie Soutter during the Youth Olympic Winter Festival in 2017
The father of British snowboarder Ellie Soutter who died on her 18th birthday believes she could have been struggling with the pressure of competing in high-level sport.

Tony Soutter told BBC South East he had lost his best friend, his "total buddy" and his rock.

Ellie "wanted to be the best" and not "let anybody down", he said.

UK Sport said it was working with partners to provide appropriate support for athletes.

'One little thing'
Speaking publicly for the first time since his daughter's death on 25 July, Mr Soutter said he believes his daughter's history of mental health issues coupled with the pressure of elite performance may have contributed to her ending her life in Les Gets in the French Alps.

"She wanted to be the best," he said. "She didn't want to let anybody down.

"Unfortunately it all came about from missing a flight which then meant she didn't go training with the GB squad.

"She felt she'd let them down, felt she'd let me down and just tragically it just takes one silly little thing like that to tip someone over the edge, because there's a lot of pressure on children."

Calling for action to help other young athletes, Mr Soutter added: "Mental health awareness needs to be really looked at and made more public."

He said: "I have lost my best friend, my total buddy. She was my rock."

Soutter grew up in Oxted, Surrey, before moving to the Alps where she trained.

Her bronze was Team GB's only medal at the Youth Olympic Winter Festival in Turkey last year.

Her family have set up a foundation in her name to help young winter sports athletes needing financial support.

The Samaritans provides advice on what to do if someone finds they are struggling themselves or sees another person having difficulties.

'Great talent lost'
A spokesman for UK Sport said: "This is a desperately sad situation and our thoughts are with all of Ellie's family and friends.

"We are working with all of our Olympic and Paralympic programmes and the mental health charity Mind to make sure appropriate support is in place."

A statement issued by British Ski and Snowboard said: "Ellie was an incredibly popular and well-liked member of the team and the country has lost a great talent.

"The wellbeing of all athletes across every discipline is the primary concern of any sporting organisation.

"We commend the family for setting up the Ellie Soutter Foundation and they have our full support."

The BBC has also approached the British Olympic Association for comment.

If you have been affected by this story, help and support is available via BBC Action Line

.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-45023187

That is really tragic.

• Sad 3

Guest MattP

I hope the funeral is as funny as I imagine it, imagine the "to me to you" with the coffin.

It's what he would have wanted.

RIP Barry.

Truly gutted this morning. Genuinely really sad. ChuckleVision was a huge part of my childhood.

I've been helping my dad redecorate this week and every time we've had to move the sofa or something big, it's been "to me, to you". Without fail. 

I've already watched two episodes of ChuckleVision this morning as well as their charity single with Tynchy Strider. Absolute legends. 

I'll make sure to move some heavy furniture today simply out if tribute. 

RIP 

The Chuckle Brothers are big Rotherham fans and go to games. I went there on the opening game of the season in 2016 just after our new owners had taken over Wolves. I was bemused when looking up at the VIP guest boxes to see The Chuckle brothers next to a couple of Chinese billionaires, Jorge Mendes and the president of Valencia FC!

27 minutes ago, The Bear said:

The Chuckle Brothers are big Rotherham fans and go to games. I went there on the opening game of the season in 2016 just after our new owners had taken over Wolves. I was bemused when looking up at the VIP guest boxes to see The Chuckle brothers next to a couple of Chinese billionaires, Jorge Mendes and the president of Valencia FC!

think they are honorary owners, too.

So sad about Barry Chuckle, used to adore ChuckleVision when I was kid. Coming home from school, ChuckleVision would always be on CBBC. Was lucky enough to see them perform on stage four times and each time it was always a good outing. Always came across as such a nice guy you could never say bad word about the pair of them. RIP Barry and for one last time "To Me, To You"

Really sad news. I had the privilege to meet the brothers twice when I was younger and appeared on a segment on Look North with them after one of their shows. It's hard to judge people when your younger but they were two of nicest guys I've ever met.

RIP Barry and best wishes to Paul and the rest of his family.

Edited by Amin

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, davieG said:

First pressie I bought my wife then my girlfriend

Next on the 2018 death list, DavieG, after his wife discovers that gifts bought for her were subsequently given to his girlfriend... or after his girlfriend finds out she's getting Mrs DavieG's hand-me-downs.

• Haha 2