Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

36 minutes ago, davieG said:

School punishments

Yes - The cane across the hand or the arse for the most minor offences , was caned along with half the school for being late into the school grounds from Victoria park after the dinner break.

Yes - Thick plimsoll sole across the arse by a Rugby playing PT teacher just for being last back for a run around Victoria park for example.

Yes - Standing in the corner with your back to the class

Yes - Writing hundreds of lines of I must not......... ( often completed by joining together 3 plus biros.)

Yes - Having  their school ties cut off just below the knot.

Not me - 1st year Secondary school kids having their brand new bikes thrown on top of the prefab class rooms

Not me - Kids being held by their ankles hanging out of the 1st floor window.

Really great my early secondary school days were.

I never tried the 3 biros trick to get lines done more quickly. I was once punished by being ordered to write a 2000 word essay on socks. I wasn't the only offender and I can't even remember who the other lad was and what he had to write about. I think the teacher actually read some of my punishment piece because he said a few days later that most of it was utter drivel but there was one or two priceless witticisms worth reading.

I never heard of kids being held by their ankles but a friend of mine who I do remember was cornered in a cloakroom by several older lads who emptied a classroom and threw all the desks and chairs at him. Pete hid at the back wall under the wreckage and was quite safe once it had piled up a bit.

I liked some of the escapades which avoided punishment. 

The lad whose name I do remember but I won't mention here who hid in the long grass during games and shot an old man digging his garden with an air rifle. The old fella rubbed his bottom and looked around and presently bent over his vegetable patch and continued digging. Repeat a couple more times. I was lookout and kept an eye on the playing field to make sure nobody had seen us from behind.

And when I mixed powder cleaner and liquid bleach in somebody's outside toilet at the back of a terraced house in Tudor Road. My accomplice and I hid and waited for the householder to come out and use his toilet. Because I had put very liberal quantities of powder and bleach in the pan, as soon as he opened the door he was engulfed in a wave of acrid smelling foam!

I was also an accomplice with a cruel prank on a fisherman by the canal near where it passes under Upperton Road. We got talking to him and then slipped a stink bomb into his box of hooks and bait and stuff. The canal bank was not quite so clean and tidy in those days so it was easy to find somewhere to hide to watch the unfortunate man go through all the little compartments in his box to find out what had made the smell.

A kid tried the same trick on me in Salisbury a few years ago when I was stewarding for a cycle event. I wasn't taken in by his talk and got suspicious and grabbed him by the collar. I told him that I was his age once and I knew exactly what he was about to do. I let him go and he ran off. Sure enough, in the gutter he had dropped a stink bomb.

• Haha 1

And now a request.

I do drawings. Drawings of all sorts of things. Landscapes, town scenes, buses, trains, the lot. Most of them are places I have lived in or regularly visit but there is nothing of Leicester.

If anyone has a good quality picture of the crossroads between Upperton Road and Narborough Road from the sixties or seventies I would appreciate a copy. I am aware that the buildings at this location haven't changed much but an older picture would help. I have scoured the internet without success. The reason for posting on here is that it would be about 2 to 2.30 on Saturday afternoon. The picture would include a couple of the old Corpo Leyland buses with crash gearboxes and dimly lit inside by 12v versions of an ordinary domestic incandescent light bulb. And hundreds of people, mostly male, all streaming off in the same direction. Don't need to tell anyone on here where they were going.

On 30/04/2020 at 00:45, Red Squirrel said:

Astle and Jordan Busses (Blue and Cream)

Jaques Coaches which used to take us to Coalville Grammar from Glenfield and Ratby.  Infamous driver called Jack who would kick kids off for no reason. Remember refusing to take a lad to school who innocently brought his cello onboard - completely outrageous (playing the cello!)

Simpkin and James Cheesecakes (if not mentioned before)

The Royal Hotel next door

Marshall and Snelgrove - the lifts were the old caged variety

Brees Records Churchgate

Sports in Belvoir Street

Lord John in the Haymarket

Grannies,Scamps and Baileys 

Lol. I was a DJ at Grannies and Scamps back in the day. Met Stringfellow, Shilton, Clarke and our very own current Ambassador of Football as well mas a few others that would come in for a get together in Grannies in the top lounge.

10 hours ago, Parafox said:

Lol. I was a DJ at Grannies and Scamps back in the day. Met Stringfellow, Shilton, Clarke and our very own current Ambassador of Football as well mas a few others that would come in for a get together in Grannies in the top lounge.

Peter or mike!....or both.........

7 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

Peter or mike!....or both.........

Peter

He got his inspiration from the barmaid who got paid a fiver for serving topless for an hour.

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 1

Image may contain: 5 people, people standing

Bins collected from your backyard often down an side entry.

No need to worry about recycling, milk bottles collected every day on delivery of fresh milk, pop and beer bottles were returned for a penny or 2, little or no packaging used. 

Every day items could be repaired as they were screwed together rather than glued or snapped in such a way you can't get into them.

Seems like in the pursuit of progress we've gone backwards in many ways

• Like 1

Ceefax Pages. A lovely Sunday morning look on BBC2 at all the information on Ceefax without watching Ceefax and pressing any buttons on the remote. Some soothing music in the background.

For a 6/7 year old, very intriguing.

Getting my first pair of coloured football boots (they were yellow!) and being the only kid on the pitch that wasnt wearing black boots with white stripes/puma swish.

When in Australia the only way to keep up to date with the league tables was to record the scores that were announced on the ABC at 9am on a sunday morning and then adjust your Shoot magazine league tables that were stuck on the back of the bedroom door.

Getting up to change between the three TV channels

Helping mark the pitch lines by pouring petrol along the line and burning it.

Oh yes.....During a rainy match... the neck compressing and the concussion inducing sodden leather footballs... centre halfs in the 70s must ALL be somewhat brain damaged.

For those mentioning milk... we had it in Oz as well. But, there was NO refridgeration in schools then, so EVERY morning we were forced to drink warm... very warm, milk. 1 day in 10 you would get an offie... vomit.

Edited by ozleicester

6 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

The first video recorder my parents bought had a wired remote control similar to this one. We thought it was amazing, even though it didn't quite reach the sofa. 

89c3ea53a66d88d653260e78259c343c.jpg

Loved Toshiba stuff. Remember the advert? :D

• Like 1

I'm old enough to remember........... live football matches. :nono:

More seriously, I can just about remember them selling roast chestnuts outside grounds & fans with rattles (early 70s, when I first went to a few matches as a kid).

Indeed, I got one of those rotating wooden football rattled for a birthday present when I was primary school age - wish I'd kept that.

Three woodbine and three matches wrapped in a "Laggy band" for a shilling (5p) from the local newsagents, just to make sure us kids got hooked.....sadly it worked.

Bubbly and fag machines outside shops 24 hours a day......which unbelievably rarely got done over.Hippy shirts and cravats, the business in 1967......City losing the Cup Final .......on a regular basis!......My formative years in a paragraph!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...