Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

When Aldi had all their goods on display in the boxes they arrived in and on pallets and you could only pay with cash. Their product range was so limited that the checkout folks new the price by heart, no bar codes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Me and @Trav Le Bleu had one of these, it was soooooo cool

Pin on Wish I Still Had That

I played with one of these quite recently. 

Was really difficult to get him to stay on the bike and jump over the hurdle thing...kept skidding off sideways. 

And absolutely no chance of a wheelie or somersault 😬

10 hours ago, Webbo said:

Up until about 1979 you never saw men drinking lager. Every bloke drank bitter or mild.

From one of these

Nonic Pint Glasses CE 20oz - Set of 4 | Imperial Pint Glasses, English Pub  Glasses: Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science

...and you rarely saw women drinking beer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Or one of these

Buy John Lewis & Partners Cellar Dimpled Glass Tankard, Clear, 570ml Online at johnlewis.com

Our group of drinkers always refused to drink out of them in deference to one of our mates who simply refused to so we went with iit even to the point of boycotting pubs that had got rid of the traditional pint glass. lol

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Or one of these

Buy John Lewis & Partners Cellar Dimpled Glass Tankard, Clear, 570ml Online at johnlewis.com

Very early in my drinking career, I used to ask for a "jug" like what real men drank their bitter from - and not a "straight" as used by lightweight lager drinkers. What a prat! lol

Mind you, I did find that "jugs" / "handles" were easier to keep hold of once you'd had a few - though I held it back-to-front, holding the dimples with the handle facing away. What a double prat!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Very early in my drinking career, I used to ask for a "jug" like what real men drank their bitter from - and not a "straight" as used by lightweight lager drinkers. What a prat! lol

Mind you, I did find that "jugs" / "handles" were easier to keep hold of once you'd had a few - though I held it back-to-front, holding the dimples with the handle facing away. What a double prat!

I found jugs easy and nice to hold onto mind you if they had too many dimple it was time to move on. 

38 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Hold a glass by it's handle? What kind of nancy boy do they take us for? lol 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Webbo said:

Up until about 1979 you never saw men drinking lager. Every bloke drank bitter or mild.

I thought it was later than that, I thought lager only really took off in the late 80s lol 

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

Or one of these

Is there as reason these completely disappeared? I get the taller straight pint glasses are probably much cheaper to produce and distribute but you would’ve thought that at least some more traditional-minded pubs would’ve kept them or that newer hipster pubs would’ve adopted them, I find it bizarre it’s almost totally vanished, I’ve certainly never seen one.

24 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I thought it was later than that, I thought lager only really took off in the late 80s lol 

It would be a couple of years either way,the breweries were promoting it by then, I think Skol would have been the first mainstream lagers. By the time I started drinking in the early 80s "lads" drank lager, dads drank bitter.

Edited by Webbo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It would be a couple of years either way,the breweries were promoting it by then, I think Skol would have been the first mainstream lagers. By the time I started drinking in the early 80s "lads" drank lager, dads drank bitter.

I started drinking in 1979-80. My recollection is that some young men drank bitter, some lager (which was already popular to some extent by then - though not like now) and some cider.

I switched around between bitter, lager and cider for my first year of drinking, but then became a settled bitter drinker - so a "dad", apparently. :D

A fair few blokes drank mild, too, but that was mainly (though not entirely) dads and granddads. My early years were in Kent and Norwich, not Leicester, so might have been different here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I do remember hearing about Skol being the breakthrough brand. Interesting now we’re seeing something similar with fruit ciders like Dark Fruits getting more popular with lads in my age range, but then at the same time you have the blokes in the same demographic more inclined to craft ales. Fits in with the fact culturally we’re a lot more fractured now whereas it was a lot more homogenous then I guess.

• Like 1

Wasn't sure where else to post this, but two things have been bothering me over the past few months of having nonsense thoughts circulating and I hope somebody can verify the following happened:-

1. Does anybody else remember a giant bit of graffiti in the city centre of the mathematical sum 7 x 8 = 56. From memory it was on a building board/fence where the Highcross now is. It randomly sprung to mind when I saw one of those viral tweets about 'what is your favourite sum?'

2. Am I correct in thinking that there used to weird messages in tiny font within the Leicester City programmes. I'm fairly sure it was on the fixtures page at the end of the programme, and used to say mundane things like 'Hi, Sharon, how are you?'. Must have been around the 05-08 wasteland years. If I've imagined this then I really have got an overactive imagination.