Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

10 hours ago, Webbo said:

Does anyone remember blakies, or segs. I think we used to call them something else as well but I can't remember what. 

Haha - blimey. Segs, we called them.

I had them on my apple turnover (?) shoes at primary school. I remember the feeling of pushing them into the sole of the shoe. I think I used to try and make sparks when I was walking to school.   

11 hours ago, Webbo said:

Does anyone remember blakies, or segs. I think we used to call them something else as well but I can't remember what. 

9 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

9 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Were they them metal things than used to go into the heal of your show? 

48 minutes ago, Milo said:

Haha - blimey. Segs, we called them.

I had them on my apple turnover (?) shoes at primary school. I remember the feeling of pushing them into the sole of the shoe. I think I used to try and make sparks when I was walking to school.   

Far too young for this... what the hell is function of this? Hammering a piece of metal into your shoes to... protect them? I need answers lol 

9 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Far too young for this... what the hell is function of this? Hammering a piece of metal into your shoes to... protect them? I need answers lol 

I think they're meant to make your shoes last longer but it was, not quite a fashion, but something everyone wanted as a kid, I can't really remember why. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I think they're meant to make your shoes last longer but it was, not quite a fashion, but something everyone wanted as a kid, I can't really remember why. 

Was it quite a thin device then? Sounds like it would take the grip off your shoe and put it off-kilter. That said there’s been worse school trends.

Was only something related to my Secondary School (as far as I’m aware) but we had the ‘birthday bush’; it was a big, dead, thorny thing and if the wrong lads heard it was your birthday you’d go in heads over heels. Lucky enough to avoid it Year 7 and it was taken out by Year 8, saw a few kids have to crawl out of it in need of a new school jumper and trousers though lol 

59 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Was it quite a thin device then? Sounds like it would take the grip off your shoe and put it off-kilter. That said there’s been worse school trends.

Was only something related to my Secondary School (as far as I’m aware) but we had the ‘birthday bush’; it was a big, dead, thorny thing and if the wrong lads heard it was your birthday you’d go in heads over heels. Lucky enough to avoid it Year 7 and it was taken out by Year 8, saw a few kids have to crawl out of it in need of a new school jumper and trousers though lol 

Birthday beats at my school. You just used to get twatted in the arm for no other reason than it being your birthday. I got it particularly bad in year 8, my mum saw the bruises and told me I couldn’t wear short sleeve shirts because she was worried somebody would alert the social lol 

• Haha 3

On 04/05/2020 at 18:38, Gordon the Great said:

Three woodbine and three matches wrapped in a "Laggy band" for a shilling (5p) from the local newsagents, just to make sure us kids got hooked.....sadly it worked.

Bubbly and fag machines outside shops 24 hours a day......which unbelievably rarely got done over.Hippy shirts and cravats, the business in 1967......City losing the Cup Final .......on a regular basis!......My formative years in a paragraph!

Remember when shops would sell single fags out of a pack lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Webbo said:

Yes, them. When I was at infant school everyone had them. 

10 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

10 hours ago, Webbo said:

I remember them I was living in children's home at that time and we used to have to march to school all together in twos like some army squad and you could hear us coming from miles away, clip, clop, clip clop.

They were definitely to aid repairs because having your shoes with them toed and heeled was a standard way of reducing the cost of repairs.Adults kept a pair of shoes for a life time back then. Obviously a metal toe and heel, yes we had both was seen to last longer and were quicker to replace. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Manini said:

Birthday beats at my school. You just used to get twatted in the arm for no other reason than it being your birthday. I got it particularly bad in year 8, my mum saw the bruises and told me I couldn’t wear short sleeve shirts because she was worried somebody would alert the social lol 

Our year used to do that after we had the MMR jab, ****ing hurt and watching green/yellow puss come out your arm was a delight lol

• Haha 1