Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I bought my first computer from PC world. It was the cheapest in the shop, the salesman tried to sell me a dearer one but when I said no I wanted that one, he just walked off. I was stood there 5 or 10 minutes wondering if he was coming back. In the end I had to get somebody else to serve me. I wasn't you was it? :D 

I remember you!

75 Best Little Britain images | Little britain, Britain, British ...

• Haha 1

The Charlie Chalks restaurant in Thurmaston.

Since it closed (early 2000 or so) the site it was located has only been occupied for a few years in total. Was some Indian restaurant a few years ago (which apparently went bust).

Is derelict now and has been for years.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I bought my first computer from PC world. It was the cheapest in the shop, the salesman tried to sell me a dearer one but when I said no I wanted that one, he just walked off. I was stood there 5 or 10 minutes wondering if he was coming back. In the end I had to get somebody else to serve me. I wasn't you was it? :D 

Could be. Izzy is well known for his off-handed attitude unless there's money to be made lol

• Haha 1

Everyone loved the milk at my school but then we probably didn’t get much at home.

We had one teacher who was a bit soft and they used to bring a crate of milk into the classroom. A rumour would go around that there was a bottle short so when it came to the milk break time there was this made rush to get the milk desks and chairs went flying kids where pulled out of the way and a few made a beeline to the milk via the teacher knocking over.

Another time he was late so we turned the whole classroom around moving his desk to the back and turning all the others around to face it. The headmaster was called and we all got caned across the hand.

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

The Charlie Chalks restaurant in Thurmaston.

Since it closed (early 2000 or so) the site it was located has only been occupied for a few years in total. Was some Indian restaurant a few years ago (which apparently went bust).

Is derelict now and has been for years.

Actually it's just inside the city. When we first moved moved to Rushey Mead that was the Arnold Palmer Crazy Golf. Then it became a golf range, pub and squash club. It was our local. I had many nights in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Kids choking from the overpowering chlorine (and zero ventilation) at Oadby swimming baths. 

Fox cubs from Midland Red

50,000 at Stoughton airfield and packed surrounding country lanes to watch Leicester Air Show (the knock down annual highlight of my childhood)

July fortnight

Buses and cars on gallowtree gate, high street and humberstone gate

I learnt to swim in Oadby swimming baths. I remember the little changing cubicles alongside the pool and a viewing gallery down one end where my mum would watch me having lessons with Mr Bailey. That twat pushed me in when I was a little nervous kid. Weirdo. 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Actually it's just inside the city. When we first moved moved to Rushey Mead that was the Arnold Palmer Crazy Golf. Then it became a golf range, pub and squash club. It was our local. I had many nights in there.

When I was 18-20 odd Closing time in the city was 10.30 and 11 O'clock in the county. Sometimes we'd walk up to The Manor (now a doctors surgery) just inside Thurmaston after chucking out time in Leicester for a late one. The landlady was a right cow though, and would lock us out and , literally, tell us to fvck off. Happy days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I think I've only just finished paying it off!

I do remember the salesman cracking some rubbish jokes, so it is a possibility! Unfortunately it was the now sadly lost Melton Mowbray branch. I can still remember the monthly instalments were 48 x £56.00, a staggering £ 2680 for a Pentium P100 with 8GB of RAM!

Did you really work for Dixons?

To be fair to Dixons 8GB of memory in the mid 90s would have been worth about £16,000 so it was quite a bargain!

4 hours ago, Stivo said:

school milk (removed by a very famous politician )

For whatever reason, my primary school still had it when I was there (circa 2001-04). Glass bottles of it. I honestly can’t remember how frequent it was but it was frequent enough that  I remember moving Primary School and wondering why the milk wasn’t there.

I used to love it as a kid, although I’m pretty sure it was semi-skimmed.

Astle and Jordan Busses (Blue and Cream)

Jaques Coaches which used to take us to Coalville Grammar from Glenfield and Ratby.  Infamous driver called Jack who would kick kids off for no reason. Remember refusing to take a lad to school who innocently brought his cello onboard - completely outrageous (playing the cello!)

Simpkin and James Cheesecakes (if not mentioned before)

The Royal Hotel next door

Marshall and Snelgrove - the lifts were the old caged variety

Brees Records Churchgate

Sports in Belvoir Street

Lord John in the Haymarket

Grannies,Scamps and Baileys 

• Like 1

On 30/12/2017 at 18:58, Parafox said:

When New Years Day wasn't a holiday. 

Buses having no doors and the driver was in a separate cab and there were notices banning spitting.

TV's had no remote, you had to get off yer arse and twiddle a tuning knob. And it was black and white in 625 lines.

Corona pop wagons.

Coal holes/bunkers in the back yard.

3 penny (thrupenny) deposit on bottles of pop to encourage you to take them back to the shop to be re-used.

Steel rubbish bins which bin men had to put on their backs and empty into trucks with sliding panels on the side

Image result for old fashioned british refuse bins

Image result for old british refuse trucks

And the bins were full of ash. Must have weighed a ton. And forget the coal men. Another killer job. 

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yeah, I started off working for Dixons in '89 on a YTS - remember them? By '95 I was just going into management roles in stores but working in Leicester at that time.

I loved selling PC's in them days. Mainly Packard Bell with free 'Encarta' CD-Rom :D

It was all about selling the extended warranties then and with interest over 48 months we made a fortune and loads of commission - thanks :thumbup:

We soon replaced Compuserve internet with 'Freeserve' which a salesman at Dixons Northampton co-invented. Freeserve made Dixons millions and it was revolutionary at the time. In fact, @freeserve.co.uk e-mail addresses only stopped working last year!

Happy days...

around the time you were convinving people to buy extended warranties for hifi units (I once paid £500 for one for my then girlfiriend's birthday - wtf was I thinking), I was across the road working for Halfords (which had it's first ever store in Leicester by the way, adopting it's name from the street where it opened - Halford Street).

Good times, had a lot of laughs with the team - getting abuse from customers, catching shoplifters and attempting to gain the romantic interest of the saturday girls. Worked at several branches across the midlands, mainly in the old high street stores rather then the more modern superstores. Was a decent company to work for then, owned by Boots at the time. Good times, but wouldn' want to go back to it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

Ice creams at Brucciani's.  The one thing I looked forward to when dragged into the City Centre by my parents for shopping.

Ice Cream sodas....Brucciani's.    Like you when my mam,dragged me to do the family's Weekly shopping..( My older Sisters took it in turn)

But she needed help,with all those bags then  getting on & off the No14 bus.Just One of those expected Family  Chore for young Lads or lassies (5-11)

Leicester was then One of the few City  centers,where market and well known shops of old,were in a Short Walking distance of each other.

If it was a Saturday,we and mams-side relations would often Meet at My grandma and grandads,at Melton road..The dads ,would come later,sometimes,we would go to Cossington baths, then a fish and Chip supper.( If on Fridays).  Saturdays ,all the aunties would make tea/supper,kids would Watch the then Pop-charts,then Doctor who,hiding behind the sofa...!!   

After we all went to One or Two of the Local pubs, The Clouds,etc where they Let kids in,or had a Family backyard. Often One of the Uncles would Drive us home, 8-9 in the car( and We fit).

That Type of gathering and drinkies all stopped when the drink-Drive laws came into effect.!!

Edited by fuchsntf

When you could only play the best video games of the day on machines in pubs or arcades

I have fond memories memories of hours in the boozer pounding the buttons trying to get the world records on Track and Field 

72541837-B69A-4A3F-970A-D2CC6F0C8E14.png

81B040A5-DBC3-49C3-AF4D-5A7B2D67A7F7.png

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1

School punishments

Yes - The cane across the hand or the arse for the most minor offences , was caned along with half the school for being late into the school grounds from Victoria park after the dinner break.

Yes - Thick plimsoll sole across the arse by a Rugby playing PT teacher just for being last back for a run around Victoria park for example.

Yes - Standing in the corner with your back to the class

Yes - Writing hundreds of lines of I must not......... ( often completed by joining together 3 plus biros.)

Yes - Having  their school ties cut off just below the knot.

Not me - 1st year Secondary school kids having their brand new bikes thrown on top of the prefab class rooms

Not me - Kids being held by their ankles hanging out of the 1st floor window.

Really great my early secondary school days were.

• Haha 2

On 29/04/2020 at 22:36, davieG said:

Everyone loved the milk at my school but then we probably didn’t get much at home.

We had one teacher who was a bit soft and they used to bring a crate of milk into the classroom. A rumour would go around that there was a bottle short so when it came to the milk break time there was this made rush to get the milk desks and chairs went flying kids where pulled out of the way and a few made a beeline to the milk via the teacher knocking over.

Another time he was late so we turned the whole classroom around moving his desk to the back and turning all the others around to face it. The headmaster was called and we all got caned across the hand.

When I was at school the milk was sometimes half frozen if it was very cold outside. We still had to drink it all before we were allowed out. I have a little collection of old bottles on a shelf in my bathroom which started when I was digging my garden a couple of years ago and I found a couple of old medicine bottles. From the days when medicines were not usually prepackaged and a prescription was coyly titled 'The Mixture' by the chemist. I have bought a few bottles in antique shops since but never seen any of the 1/3 pint bottles which schools had to give to children.

40 minutes ago, davieG said:

School punishments

Yes - The cane across the hand or the arse for the most minor offences , was caned along with half the school for being late into the school grounds from Victoria park after the dinner break.

Yes - Thick plimsoll sole across the arse by a Rugby playing PT teacher just for being last back for a run around Victoria park for example.

Yes - Standing in the corner with your back to the class

Yes - Writing hundreds of lines of I must not......... ( often completed by joining together 3 plus biros.)

Yes - Having  their school ties cut off just below the knot.

Not me - 1st year Secondary school kids having their brand new bikes thrown on top of the prefab class rooms

Not me - Kids being held by their ankles hanging out of the 1st floor window.

Really great my early secondary school days were.

We had a metal/wood work teacher (is there even such a subject now?) called Mr Greatorex I think.

He used to prowl around the class holding a metal ruler and if he saw your hands on the table he'd whack them as hard as he could with his ruler.

Stung like a bastard and left a red mark for hours after.

I mean, it was fvckin assault really lol

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

We had a metal/wood work teacher (is there even such a subject now?) called Mr Greatorex I think.

He used to prowl around the class holding a metal ruler and if he saw your hands on the table he'd whack them as hard as he could with his ruler.

Stung like a bastard and left a red mark for hours after.

I mean, it was fvckin assault really lol

Just remembered we had a match teacher who used to whack us on the arse with a giant T-Square never hurt I think he didn't like corporal punishment. Some lad had stuck an exercise book down his trousers he obviously knew it was there but only suggested he removed after he'd whacked him. He was pretty funny guy and well liked.

We had a nasty RE teacher who used to drag you out of the classroom by pull on the bottom of your sideburns. Really bloody hurt I admit he made me cry once when I was about 11 and then took the piss out of me for cry. No compassion from this religious nut.

Our Deputy Head was SI Hopkins (http://www.bbc.co.uk/leicester/content/articles/2007/03/16/hopkins_tribute_tigers_team.shtml) a Welsh rugby fanatic who used to do the Radio Leicester Rugby commentaries. Football was banned at School.