Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I'm Old Enough To Remember...

On 30/12/2017 at 19:51, Parafox said:

Taking your girlfriend out for a meal meant a pint of Watney's Red Barrel for the bloke and a Snowball for her, at a Berni Inn, prawn cocktail starter followed by a lump of steak with some obscure (but we thought, classy) sauce.

And chips.

Jeez that brings it all back ...  did you get a sh@g in the car on the way back ...  :thumbup:

On 30/12/2017 at 20:03, davieG said:

Cars with big rusting holes in the sills and wings, no window winders or heater

Filled my rotten sills before I sold my car ...  the bloke brought it back and said you said the sills were sound ...   I said yes they were ...  he pulled out some newspaper stuffing from the sill,  covered in mesh, filler and then painted over ...   the newspaper was dated two weeks  ago ...      doh !! ...:D

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Izzy said:

0F8E0805-150E-4474-9079-D82DE3CB1EC9.jpeg

That triggered a memory and an "I'm old enough....."

I'm old enough to remember all-day live Test cricket free to air on BBC (every minute of all 5 days of home Tests, as I recall).

I was reminded because in the mid-70s, I pulled a sicky to go home from school to watch England v. West Indies. This was most unusual as I was (a) rarely ill or off school; (b) a goody-goody, you'll be surprised to hear.

I just went to the school office and pretended to be feeling ill. Because of (a) and (b) above, both the school and my mother believed me, so I got to go home, lie on the settee and watch the Test ("Mum, I think it might take my mind off feeling ill if I could watch the cricket"). Only problem was that my Mum was so concerned and caring, fussing around, bringing me bread broken up in hot milk (another 70s cure) that I felt so racked with guilt that I never skived like that again. 

When I was an adult, I asked her if she'd realised that I was pulling a fast one but she hadn't.....that's how naive she was or how much of a goody-goody I was. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Jeez that brings it all back ...  did you get a sh@g in the car on the way back ...  :thumbup:

Let's just say, the Snowball always had a cherry on a cocktail stick. Eventually I took it. :thumbup:

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Filled my rotten sills before I sold my car ...  the bloke brought it back and said you said the sills were sound ...   I said yes they were ...  he pulled out some newspaper stuffing from the sill,  covered in mesh, filler and then painted over ...   the newspaper was dated two weeks  ago ...      doh !! ...:D

I bought a Ford Sierra mk1 many years ago and the guy had done exactly that with the wings. After a short time driving it the filler fell out and in amongst the mesh and filler was newspaper from about 3 months before I bought it. At the time I had just joined the ambulance service and my then crewmate was a bit of a rogue himself, (he was known to have picked up a Christmas tree and two frozen turkeys and transported them home in the back of the ambulance on one occasion). Anyway, when I told him about the car, he detoured from our way back to base and confronted this guy on my behalf lol 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

pin-toy.jpg

ronald mcdonald

Aqua-Rings-By-YoYa-Toys-Handheld-Water-G

What the hell was the point of that contraption in the first pic. I remember it, pushing my face against the pins, but just... why?

That must be the quickest toy to ever lose interest in.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Filled s few sills and wings in my time

File:Austin A35 van in typical green ca 1963.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Not actually mine this one.

This was my first car, vans had no sales tax on them. Obviously no seatbelts, but also no wing mirrors, no heater, no window winders just a bit of glass glued to the window that you had to get your finger nails on and pull or push. 

The front passenger seat was only held down by 2 flimsy brackets. I had a mate as a passenger once and I was approaching an island looking like I could get straight on to it when a car emerged from the right so I braked then saw he was turning right so I accelerated again and my mate ended up in the back of the Van as the brackets gave way under the stress.

I had a bench seat fitted in the back and drove all the way to Boscastle in Cornwall with a baby in a carry cot in the back took 6 hours, no motorway very few dual carriage ways nightmare

Like you say complete rust boxes in those days and so unsafe.

I look back and think of the cars I've had with 3 kids in the back and wondered how we actually survived.

8 minutes ago, Parafox said:

What the hell was the point of that contraption in the first pic. I remember it, pushing my face against the pins, but just... why?

That must be the quickest toy to ever lose interest in.

@Parafox  did you never play Flight Deck then!?

Screenshot_20200608-184755_Google.jpg

1 minute ago, Flamey said:

@Parafox  did you never play Flight Deck then!?

Screenshot_20200608-184755_Google.jpg

I quoted the wrong pic. I meant the pin board thing. Flight deck was after my time but my brother had one and I did sometimes secretly indulge. I still love the thought of flying and landing a plane on an aircraft carrier. Eventually moved on to flight sims when PC's had the processing power to make them a good platform for playing such things.

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I quoted the wrong pic. I meant the pin board thing. Flight deck was after my time but my brother had one and I did sometimes secretly indulge. I still love the thought of flying and landing a plane on an aircraft carrier. Eventually moved on to flight sims when PC's had the processing power to make them a good platform for playing such things.

I think you quoted the right pic👍 about how quickly you lost interest. I was really looking forward to Flight Deck, the advert made it look so exciting, but when I played it at a friends house it was like lowering a toy plane one a piece of string ....but really fast! My small mind had expected more, I think I got 'Salvo' instead for Christmas that year.

Just now, Webbo said:

You should have seen my subuteo team. They could have  qualified for the para olympics.

Think mine were the same.

My brother got some floodlights that took batteries and dropped them from 3 foot smashing a whole load,much to my amusement.

Now that was my best hobby,winding him up,he was a couple of years older and I will quote my mum” Thought with his fists “I loved danger.

cant wait for the thread twatty things you have done,I have enough for a book.

• Like 1

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Was just about to say the same. Probably not a game for the COVID era.

While away the hours in lockdown with a game of blow football.