Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

The "Random Thoughts" Thread

When I was a kid, my father would greet any dark looking raincloud with the words, "It's black over Bill's mother's...". I never did find out who Bill was or how my father had such up-to-date knowledge of the whereabouts of his (Bill's) mother.

A met a Scottish woman once who told me that when she was a kid her parents took them on a driving tour of the Highlands; she said she had been amazed to find that her father appeared to know everybody wherever they went, and even more amazingly, they were all called Jimmy...

Met a family friend today, first time since Covid, and she's still breastfeeding her soon-to-be five years old son; am I just being old-fashioned or is that... wrong?

17 minutes ago, Buce said:

When I was a kid, my father would greet any dark looking raincloud with the words, "It's black over Bill's mother's...". I never did find out who Bill was or how my father had such up-to-date knowledge of the whereabouts of his (Bill's) mother.

A met a Scottish woman once who told me that when she was a kid her parents took them on a driving tour of the Highlands; she said she had been amazed to find that her father appeared to know everybody wherever they went, and even more amazingly, they were all called Jimmy...

Met a family friend today, first time since Covid, and she's still breastfeeding her soon-to-be five years old son; am I just being old-fashioned or is that... wrong?

My parents did the same, which always really confused me as my sisters boyfriend was called Bill, and they hadn't met his parents.

24 minutes ago, Buce said:

I still say this now, and my husband is still wondering who Bill's mother is. This explains it:

BBC News - England's oddest phrases explained

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37550178

Ideally breastfeeding should continue until the child is ready to give up. Five is unusual, but yes these days it's probably old fashioned to think it's 'wrong' 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I still say this now, and my husband is still wondering who Bill's mother is. This explains it:

BBC News - England's oddest phrases explained

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37550178

Ideally breastfeeding should continue until the child is ready to give up. Five is unusual, but yes these days it's probably old fashioned to think it's 'wrong' 

Loved it when I was 14. Mind you I had get down to knee level... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

My Dad (from London) always found my Mum's Leicestershireisms hilarious. The aforementioned Bill's Mother's but also "razzerbill" was a favourite (was it as in the bird razorbill? - I could never work it out). 

I always thought Leicestershire folk were eccentric but that could just be my grandparents. My nan was nuts, she would wear her apron on inside out so she didn't need to wash it. 

7 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Do hairdressers have their hair cut at the same salon they work at?

I used to have a Saturday job at a barbers as a kid, I saw the hairdresser cutting his own hair.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...