Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

The "Random Thoughts" Thread

• 6 months later...

Prior to modern record-keeping (like birth certificates and newspapers) and widespread use of grave markers, billions of people are simply lost to history. It isn't a sinister plot to strike these people from history, but simple truth: People who were not well-known and lived fairly anonymous lives, everyone connected to them is dead, stories of an individual lost through the generations, and absolutely no printed records exist of that person's life — either never created or long since lost — no headstone was created of that person and his/her remains have long since decayed into the earth are examples of this "unperson" trope. There is no evidence available that those particular people ever lived.

For some reason it has taken me more than 30 years to realise that if you write out the initials of every day of the week on say, a pill organiser, Wednesday Thursday and Friday spell out WTF. This coincided with the realisation that those are the exact days I tend to lose any motivation and productivity. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12028915

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Prior to modern record-keeping (like birth certificates and newspapers) and widespread use of grave markers, billions of people are simply lost to history. It isn't a sinister plot to strike these people from history, but simple truth: People who were not well-known and lived fairly anonymous lives, everyone connected to them is dead, stories of an individual lost through the generations, and absolutely no printed records exist of that person's life — either never created or long since lost — no headstone was created of that person and his/her remains have long since decayed into the earth are examples of this "unperson" trope. There is no evidence available that those particular people ever lived.

Technically you didn’t post that in the Writing thread so you’ll never be able to prove a thing when I use this for something. 

(Thanks)

• Haha 1

On 26/06/2019 at 14:29, leicsmac said:

But now we'll all be documented (in the West, at least). Yet how often will anyone consult those documents in 100, 500 or 10,000 years' time? That's assuming human civilisation survives, of course.

Despite all the documentation, we'll almost all still be almost entirely forgotten for almost all time....:D

I research family history and feel good about "bringing back to life" anonymous ancestors who lived 150-200 years ago via minimal documentation. Then I have to laugh at myself, thinking of all those ancestors who lived 300, 1000 or 5000 years ago, who are completely undocumented and lost, as you say. Taking it back further, there are the ancestors who descended from the trees in the Congo and started walking, becoming our first human ancestors......and their ape predecessors.....and their predecessors, the cells that first split in the sea billions of years ago.... :D

Vaguely connected... I was reading something about ancient mountains in Australia, which contain no fossils because when they were formed there was no life on earth. That's a bit of a mind-blower!  

19 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Give me a plot idea in return and I'll call it even :D

April 2015. CLIVE (72, terminally ill) makes a pact with the devil to save his beloved LEICESTER CITY from the humiliation of relegation. The Devil overcompensates and accidentally makes them win the Premier League.

29 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

April 2015. CLIVE (72, terminally ill) makes a pact with the devil to save his beloved LEICESTER CITY from the humiliation of relegation. The Devil overcompensates and accidentally makes them win the Premier League.

29 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Hang on I’m ****ing keeping that. 

Too late my friend, already being written. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 26/06/2019 at 14:29, leicsmac said:

One triveal, but I find quite nice, thing about working in science is that records of all things we publish are held in the British library. What I'm doing could be hopeless, but at least future generations will know how wrong I was. 

5 minutes ago, Fktf said:

One triveal, but I find quite nice, thing about working in science is that records of all things we publish are held in the British library. What I'm doing could be hopeless, but at least future generations will know how wrong I was. 

"History will look kindly on us"

5 minutes ago, Fktf said:

You would hope so.

As long as the records themselves remain, that is. Thankfully, digital information has quite a high permanence.

2 hours ago, browniefox said:

Worms/Slugs etc, where do they come from, has anyone ever asked the question "are these aliens?" We talk about looking for alien life forms, maybe they're already here and we just ignore them because they have been here for years. 

Can I get your dealer's info?

What is consciousness?... if i am made up of the same matter(differently arranged) as a tree, stone or block of cheese, how do i know that they dont have some level of consciousness?... At what point am i conscious...is it the atoms, neurons, electrical firings?... do neurons in our brain have some level of consciousness?

What if i am just a neuron in a much larger brain?

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

What is consciousness?... if i am made up of the same matter(differently arranged) as a tree, stone or block of cheese, how do i know that they dont have some level of consciousness?... At what point am i conscious...is it the atoms, neurons, electrical firings?... do neurons in our brain have some level of consciousness?

What if i am just a neuron in a much larger brain?

Watch out mate, the cheese might eat you while you're sleeping.