Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Manchester City (A)..pre match thread.

4 minutes ago, Bazly said:

Lets hope the instruction to the players is to go in hard, but fair of course.

To hell with fair...I don't mind seeing Benny in the line up and losing him to a red card after he's reduced Pep's squad.....:whistle:

not really, just joking

On 04/02/2018 at 08:53, SuperMike said:

The six-subs thing really does show what a pr*ck Guardiola is. Is it sarcasm to show how they REALLY, REALLY needed that extra signing? 

Surely he must realise that everyone knows he has a massive squad to choose from (or do his subs need to have cost at least £30,000,000 to qualify to sit on the bench?). Even if he was short on numbers, he has about 44 players on loan at other clubs with recall clauses.

I'm hoping the arrogant di!do puts out a starting team with only 10 players to further make his point (whatever it is).

......mind you, they'd still thrash us!:(

Who would he put on the bench? Serious question, because for all the outrage over naming just six substitutes nobody I ask can give me the name of the person who should've been number seven. I'm not trying to attack you, just defending my team as I feel is my right.

Everyone in our 25-man senior squad was either injured or in the squad.

Everyone in our youth team was either injured or in Wales- they had a game against Swansea the night before.

I find the 'Pep is arrogant' thing really interesting because I've never seen anyone who's actually met him say he's anything other than a very down-to-earth, passionate and respectful guy- unless you count Ibrahimovic, and, as he thinks he's a lion, I'm not sure his opinions should count for much.

Edited by MCFC
  • Haha 2

On 04/02/2018 at 09:33, Blue ROI said:

https://www.balls.ie/football/pep-guardiola-six-subs-382572

Pep Guardiola Sets New Benchmark For Petty Premier League Nonsense

If money in football can't buy you happiness, it won't eliminate the petty moaning of Premier League managers either. Pep Guardiola is in such an irascible mood today, as his Man City team travel to play Burnley in the Premier League.

Leroy Sane, David Silva, John Stones, Fabian Delph, Gabriel Jesus and Benjamin Mendy are all absent through injury, but in spite of his enormous squad and even larger academy system, Guardiola has elected to name just six substitutes for the match. Teams are allowed to name seven.

Guardiola did explain his decision to name just six subs, and not call up any of his academy players to pad out the bench:

We don’t have any more players, that is thee reason why. We have one goalkeeper and five players. ‘We could take one from second team but they played a game yesterday.

This doesn't fully stand up, however. 19-year-old forward Lukas Nmecha has been training with first team, and didn't play in that second team game last night (a defeat to Swansea's under-23s). Yet Guardiola decided not to name him in the squad for the trip to Burnley, preferring to have some empty space.

This makes no sense from a football point of view, so it can probably be taken as Guardiola making a point to his bosses at City at his dissatisfaction at the failure to sign Riyad Mahrez on transfer deadline day.

For Guardiola, the manager with more resources available to him than any other football manager on the planet to be engaging in this type of nonsense and politicking is exceptionally petty.

This is lazy journalism I'm afraid, Lukas Nmecha was injured- the fact that the author didn't bother checking his facts doesn't change that.

On 04/02/2018 at 15:37, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Yes what a twat. Surely the test of a real good manager is how you fair with depleted or no resources. Ala Dyche

I can't agree with that.

Pep started out at Barcelona B, not exactly rich with resources compared to the rest of the teams in the league at the time, and they got promoted. His reward for this was the job with Barcelona's first team, and he was incredibly successful. After that, what would you expect him to do? Manage a team with less money just to prove to the internet that he's a good manager? No, he wanted to manage the best players in the best teams and the best competitions so he went to Bayern and then City. I think it's hugely unfair to criticise him for never having managed a team with limited resources because a) he has and b) why should he go back to that level now he's proven himself? 

Pep got his first job thanks to how well he did as a player at Barcelona. Dyche didn't exactly have an illustrious career but also got his first managerial job (at Watford) because he'd played there before. So there's not as much difference as you think.

I think your chances are far better than this thread suggests. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you came away with a draw but I don't think we'll get beaten- only Liverpool have won against us in the league this season and that was down to some horrendous mistakes, and we still almost got a 4-4. 

Vardy and Okazaki scare the crap out of me, especially against our centre-backs who aren't the quickest, but this time we have Ederson who can neutralise long balls to Vardy by coming off of his line. 

6 minutes ago, MCFC said:

I think your chances are far better than this thread suggests. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you came away with a draw but I don't think we'll get beaten- only Liverpool have won against us in the league this season and that was down to some horrendous mistakes, and we still almost got a 4-4. 

Vardy and Okazaki scare the crap out of me, especially against our centre-backs who aren't the quickest, but this time we have Ederson who can neutralise long balls to Vardy by coming off of his line. 

If there's a repeat of the first few minutes of the reverse fixture, a ref with a pair of bollocks would make it interesting. I think the referee is going to have an interesting afternoon, bollocks or not. Unfortunately, LCFC + Interesting Refereeing Performance = 5 Stages of Grief

Just now, turtmcfly said:

If there's a repeat of the first few minutes of the reverse fixture, a ref with a pair of bollocks would make it interesting. I think the referee is going to have an interesting afternoon, bollocks or not. Unfortunately, LCFC + Interesting Refereeing Performance = 5 Stages of Grief

We were incredibly lucky not to be down to 10 in 3 minutes of that game. I love Kompany, he's the ultimate Manchester City captain, but I think he's just about done. When he is fit, he's rusty and by the time he's back up to speed he gets injured again. That match we scored two great goals but you could've won just as easily had the referee given a red for that. 

Laporte's only played for us once but he looked very good against West Brom. I don't doubt that if he plays against Leicester City on Saturday we're going to find out if he can really defend. 

2 minutes ago, MCFC said:

We were incredibly lucky not to be down to 10 in 3 minutes of that game. I love Kompany, he's the ultimate Manchester City captain, but I think he's just about done. When he is fit, he's rusty and by the time he's back up to speed he gets injured again. That match we scored two great goals but you could've won just as easily had the referee given a red for that. 

Laporte's only played for us once but he looked very good against West Brom. I don't doubt that if he plays against Leicester City on Saturday we're going to find out if he can really defend. 

Never heard of him. Taking into account your dire financial and staffing positions, presumably a cheap last-minute panic buy?

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, MCFC said:

Who would he put on the bench? Serious question, because for all the outrage over naming just six substitutes nobody I ask can give me the name of the person who should've been number seven. I'm not trying to attack you, just defending my team as I feel is my right.

Everyone in our youth team was either injured or in Wales- they had a game against Swansea the night before.

I find the 'Pep is arrogant' thing really interesting because I've never seen anyone who's actually met him say he's anything other than a very down-to-earth, passionate and respectful guy- unless you count Ibrahimovic, and, as he thinks he's a lion, I'm not sure his opinions should count for much.

Poor, poor Manchester City. Our heartfelt sympathy for their awful predicament.  

45 minutes ago, MCFC said:

Bollocks have you only got 18 fit youngsters. You'll get no sympathy here for peps petty shit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCFC said:

I'm sorry but I don't buy this. If your a manger you manage. He will have known in advance about injuries/availability etc among all the teams you have. What he should have done is promote a youth team player to the bench and not send them all to Wales. You could have put a trialist on the bench for that game it is what happens. You must excuse my ignorance re. your squad and names but to only pick 6  subs is frankly the sign of a petulant so and so who didn't get what he wanted in the transfer window. Imagine how good it would have felt to be one of your youth team and to be told by Pep you were being added to the match day squad.

You are playing some wonderful football but some of his comments in the last few weeks sound a bit pithy coming from someone who manages a club with untold riches and able to but any player they want to. 

As to the match you'll win by 2 or 3 clear goals. The whole Mahrez thing has had a big negative influence on the club and threatens to derail our season.

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

Mike jones has no bollocks .......

Can't believe we've got Man. City fans (oh, that's the richest team in the world who have just bought themselves The Premier League) coming on here trying to elicit sympathy for the fact that they haven't got enough players. For Pity's Sake, Lad, GET A GRIP!! Imagine being in the third tier with NO Sheiks to look after you - like your near neighbours Rochdale, Bury, Oldham. And not so long ago.......

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, reynard said:

I'm sorry but I don't buy this. If your a manger you manage. He will have known in advance about injuries/availability etc among all the teams you have. What he should have done is promote a youth team player to the bench and not send them all to Wales. You could have put a trialist on the bench for that game it is what happens. You must excuse my ignorance re. your squad and names but to only pick 6  subs is frankly the sign of a petulant so and so who didn't get what he wanted in the transfer window. Imagine how good it would have felt to be one of your youth team and to be told by Pep you were being added to the match day squad.

You are playing some wonderful football but some of his comments in the last few weeks sound a bit pithy coming from someone who manages a club with untold riches and able to but any player they want to. 

As to the match you'll win by 2 or 3 clear goals. The whole Mahrez thing has had a big negative influence on the club and threatens to derail our season.

The plan was for David Silva to travel in the squad with Lukas Nmecha as backup but both had to pull out with injures at the last minute-  at that point it was too late to stop one of the young lads going to Swansea and what would be the point?

2 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

Never heard of him. Taking into account your dire financial and staffing positions, presumably a cheap last-minute panic buy?

Sorry, but everyone who knows anything about European football knows who Aymeric Laporte is. Targeted by Barcelona and Real Madrid as recently as the summer. I won't be so petulant as to suggest that you might not have heard of Barcelona or Real Madrid either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperMike said:

Poor, poor Manchester City. Our heartfelt sympathy for their awful predicament.  

If in May 2016 I came on here and started bashing Ranieri for no good reason I'd like to think Leicester fans would see fit to defend him.