Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Who is our most Important player?

Who is Our Most important player?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Who is our Most important player?

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Your argument would be somewhat stronger if you got your facts right. Vardy played against Everton twice in the title winning season - perhaps you meant Swansea?.

that was the 4-0 game, right? my bad. but still, my point remains the same

I can see why people would think Vardy but I think it's the opposite. Kind of like the chicken & egg scenario, I believe Vardy benefits most from this squad rather than him being most important to their success. 

Leicester would still score goals without Vardy, albeit in a different way. I believe the most important player on this squad is Ndidi.

We saw how poorly Leicester played without Kante last season. Since Kante's departure a mix of King/Amartey/Matty James in midfield has had disastrous results. Ndidi was a winter signing and immediately improved the defense in 2016-17. While he's not at Kante's level yet, the backline would struggle immensely without him. Ndidi is the closer of matches when Leicester is protecting a lead. With Mahrez, he's not necessarily an important player but he has the greatest influence on the side when he's on form. I can't think of many games where Mahrez played well and Leicester lost. I also can't think of matches where Mahrez played poorly and the team won. So the best way to put it is that Ndidi is important for Leicester's function and survival, but Mahrez is needed for match-winning. The Vardy's and Okazaki's provide the strong tenacity that drives the side.

Midway through writing this I recognized that this question is unanswerable. It's a team game in the end. I could make an argument that even Danny Simpson, the worst player on the title winning side, was crucial to winning that year (sorry to Richie de Laet)

Edited by boobagab
  • Like 3

Mahrez. 

The variety of his assists and chance creation makes him a key figure. 

Vardy is undoubtably a great source of goals but when he’s out of the side we’ve always carried on scoring. Take Mahrez out and we become unbelievably one dimensional and are left with a midfield that doesn’t really create and doesn’t really score. 

Do we really have an important player?

Do we have a player without whom we can't win? A player who wins games for us.

I don't think we do. The beauty of Leicester now and in 2015 is that we are a team and every player relies on the others in order for us to get a win.

We don't have a De Gea or a Bruyne. We have, for the most part, true, honest players with both qualities and faults who need each other.

No Leicester player is an island.

I’d say Ndidi though there are good arguments for Vardy and Mahrez too. Quite simply he gives us that bite needed in midfield to get on the ball and play and I think he’s probably one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Puel seems to have a prefferred spine of the team with Kasper, Maguire, Ndidi, Mahrez and Vardy. These are the players that unless injured will always play and all are extremely important to the team. 

18 hours ago, MPH said:

Again,  just playing devil's advocate, here.... Have we actually struggled to score without Vardy being in the side?

Not just his goals though it's his all round game. He sets the tone for the rest of the team endlessly chasing down defenders  

The wording of the question is quite critical here.

My take on it is that Vardy is our talisman. He is the focal point for the team on the pitch and seemingly has a pretty big personality in the dressing room too.

He is the media darling, he is the history-maker with his record run and he has the supporters' love, due to his success, playing style and background.

I believe he has a big effect on team morale when he playes/doesn't play.

If you take Vardy out of Leicester City, it would have the most profound effect (for better or worse) on the team.

If you look exclusively on the pitch, it becomes an impossible question to answer.

Mahrez, Ndidi, Maguire, Schmeichel and Vardy all have claims to be 'the most important'.

Edited by shen

7 hours ago, FIF said:

Do we really have an important player?

Do we have a player without whom we can't win? A player who wins games for us.

I don't think we do. The beauty of Leicester now and in 2015 is that we are a team and every player relies on the others in order for us to get a win.

We don't have a De Gea or a Bruyne. We have, for the most part, true, honest players with both qualities and faults who need each other.

No Leicester player is an island.

Apart from the fact that we had 3 out of the top 5 performers in the league that year!

We had the best striker, The best CM and the best player in the league that year. Vardy and Mahrez carried the offense on their shoulders an Kante was droping atleast 8/10 almost every game.

Yes we had a great team but the fact that Vardy managed 24 goals and mahrez winning POTY in that system while kante cleaning everything left behind will stand the test of time as one of the greatest (if not the greatest) trio performance in a season in PL history.

3 hours ago, the fox said:

Apart from the fact that we had 3 out of the top 5 performers in the league that year!

We had the best striker, The best CM and the best player in the league that year. Vardy and Mahrez carried the offense on their shoulders an Kante was droping atleast 8/10 almost every game.

Yes we had a great team but the fact that Vardy managed 24 goals and mahrez winning POTY in that system while kante cleaning everything left behind will stand the test of time as one of the greatest (if not the greatest) trio performance in a season in PL history.

You can talk up Mahrez all you want but he needs the other 10 players to cover his ass. You are really dismissing the fantastic work of our defence that season - especially the second half when the going got tough. Our wins were based on the defence not conceding and it certainly wasn't Kanté clearing the hundreds of crosses into the box.

Morgan and Huth were particularly outstanding and that season Huth was our most important player.

We were and are a team. Playerfans don't see that too well.