Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lcfc_ben

Puel-come to the future

4 hours ago, m4DD0gg said:

Have a day off moron. 

Concise and intelligent. Dishing it out but not able to even stand up to the smallest scrutiny when confronted. You somehow have the cognitive ability to use the Internet, it's incredible.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I said a while ago that I was fairly happy with Puel because he'd found a way of getting the best out of Mahrez, was willing to give youth players a chance and the style of football was evolving. We were becoming more comfortable in possession but also having the ability to mix it up between fast counter attacking football and patient possession play. This was still my opinion even after a very poor festive period where team selection and tactics seemed bizarre. We improved defensively when Dragovic and Amartey came in and going forward we varied from looking dangerous to very wasteful but a few victories and a good performance away at Chelsea left me thinking we were still ticking over nicely.

Right now though I'm confused, Puel seemed to be getting more out of this side when he didn't know what his best side was in the first few months and was trialling different players in different positions. He now appears to be settled on his best XI and it contains 3-4 players that really shouldn't be first choice. His substitutions bother me, he waits far too long and will often refuse to make all 3 subs even in games we aren't winning. There's very little sign of any youth players getting any minutes and I'm struggling to see a more appropriate time to introduce one or two in this latter half of the season. We aren't going down and our focus is going to be on winning the FA Cup. The style of football has stagnated, he can talk all he likes about us missing chances that had they gone in would have won us games but teams will always miss chances and winning games regularly is about a strong cohesive team attacking well and defending well, he needs to understand that there's got to be creativity coming from areas of the pitch that isn't just from Mahrez. Matty James is a very basic midfielder and won't create anything, Ndidi is a superb defensive midfielder but going forward he's very erratic and it's unfair to expect him to be the creative force. We must get Adrien Silva in there somehow. The persistence of Danny Simpson as an overlapping forward thinking full back is pitiful, it's like he has a club foot as soon as he gets over the half way line. His passing, crossing and heaven forbid shooting is beyond words. His faith in Ben Chilwell on one hand is positive as this is a product of our academy but Fuchs is still much more effective going forward than him and if you've a complete non entity on the other side going forward to support the attacks then it's no surprise we're struggling to create quality chances. I'm sure come the summer Puel will be looking to bring in 2 new full backs but his utilization of what's available to him right now across the squad is baffling.

We have some very pleasant fixtures coming up that ideally we ought to win but if we continue to struggle then I don't see him having a long term future here and he'll only have himself to blame. I'm not sure he pushed that hard for reinforcements last month either, so he can't blame not having his own players. Are we seeing a carbon copy of his time at Southampton? Come on Big Claude, get it right.

Excellent my thoughts also.

24 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Concise and intelligent. Dishing it out but not able to even stand up to the smallest scrutiny when confronted. You somehow have the cognitive ability to use the Internet, it's incredible.

:rolleyes:

It was merely an observation of the guys location nothing more. 

I am a fan of puels but agree his selection recently has been questionable to say the least. It would be worrying if we don't beat bournemouth as that would be 3 home games we should be winning (swansea and stoke). I certainly hope he gets the summer to get the players he wants. I just hope silva and dragovic are back on Saturday. 

19 hours ago, mozartfox said:

If you think the team that was chosen last Saturday is our best 11, then keep taking the tablets.

So what is the best 11 in your opinion?

I couldn't say quite frankly because results or team performances haven't improved whether it's James or Iborra, Simpson or Amartey, Iheanacho or Gray, Morgan or Dragovic. We've had some good and some bad performances with all them in the team so far.

Couple of draw and everyone rips James to bits, but forgets Iborra was in the middle for the shit show against Palace. Silva in a draw against Swansea.  Morgan, Simpson, King were all in against Saints, one of the best performances of the season. Dragovic, Amartey, James in for Chelsea and also Everton.... great and awful. 

This is why I'm baffled with peoples insistence that their team is the correct team when there has been little evidence so far to suggest one particular layout is better than another.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Babylon said:

So what is the best 11 in your opinion?

I couldn't say quite frankly because results or team performances haven't improved whether it's James or Iborra, Simpson or Amartey, Iheanacho or Gray, Morgan or Dragovic. We've had some good and some bad performances with all them in the team so far.

Couple of draw and everyone rips James to bits, but forgets Iborra was in the middle for the shit show against Palace. Silva in a draw against Swansea.  Morgan, Simpson, King were all in against Saints, one of the best performances of the season. Dragovic, Amartey, James in for Chelsea and also Everton.... great and awful. 

This is why I'm baffled with peoples insistence that their team is the correct team when there has been little evidence so far to suggest one particular layout is better than another.

We were far better against Swansea with Silva on the pitch and had loads more ideas going forward than the shite against Stoke. First 45 against Swansea we were good and bar a strange call for offside would have been out of sight.

Also bar Chelsea name a good performance (who were beaten three nil by a Bournemouth side a week later) with James in the starting line up. Watford maybe although it was hardly good. Brighton potentially.

Iborra against Swansea, Newcastle, Burnley and Spurs was one of the best players on the park - I've never seem that level from James in 4 years. Not his fault just the ****er picking him.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

We were far better against Swansea with Silva on the pitch and had loads more ideas going forward than the shite against Stoke. First 45 against Swansea we were good and bar a strange call for offside would have been out of sight.

He was also shit second half and got pulled because we lost control of the middle of the park. What offside? If you mean N'didi, it was offside.

I like quoting this now because people were so insistent it was the be all and end all of player ratings, but whoscored had him as the lowest rated outfield player on the pitch. Silva also barely touched the ball in the final third of the pitch, which I find disappointing for someone who is meant to be far more attacking.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 13.25.21.png

Edited by Babylon

It's not so much the team selection being the worrying thing, fans and managers are always going to have differing opinions and when players don't play they do seem to become better because of it in fans eyes (I'm guilty of that) but it's the underlying indication that the old guard at this club are still very much having an influence on things. There's no other explanation for Simpson and Morgan walking back in to the team or James, Okazaki and Albrighton being picked regardless of their form. I'm sure this will be rubbished by many but if someone like Puel can't be brave enough to show little loyalty to past glories then we're not moving forward any time soon. It gives out the wrong message to squad players and no wonder a lot of them struggle to make an impact here, it's nigh on impossible to break the clique. I was hoping for a strong leader who would judge players on merit and have a long term vision for this club but I'm starting to think he's as weak as Shakespeare was at being scared to upset the applecart.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Sadly, the empire of attacking full blooded counter attacking high pressing football that was built by King Nigel has now been ripped to the ground by Claudio and now Claude. Frankly, I'm beginning to lose the will to live at home games and travel to away games knowing that we probably won't get a result. Dropping Amartey and Dragovic for Simpson and Morgan has summed it up for me - we finally looked like we were gaining some defensive solidity without having to rely on our midfield to have to sit so deep to protect the two donkeys, and then he goes drops the two players who brought us some freshness, impetus and ability to pass out from the back. Now it's just back to the usual "Simpson has some space to run in ahead of him, turns back, 5 yard pass to Morgan, long ball to Vardy, opposition gain possession and repeat". Puel's a pleb

:appl:

9 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Sadly, the empire of attacking full blooded counter attacking high pressing football that was built by King Nigel has now been ripped to the ground by Claudio and now Claude. Frankly, I'm beginning to lose the will to live at home games and travel to away games knowing that we probably won't get a result. Dropping Amartey and Dragovic for Simpson and Morgan has summed it up for me - we finally looked like we were gaining some defensive solidity without having to rely on our midfield to have to sit so deep to protect the two donkeys, and then he goes drops the two players who brought us some freshness, impetus and ability to pass out from the back. Now it's just back to the usual "Simpson has some space to run in ahead of him, turns back, 5 yard pass to Morgan, long ball to Vardy, opposition gain possession and repeat". Puel's a pleb

Dragovic played as many long balls against Swansea as Morgan did against Stoke. Morgan stopped launching it all the time a long while ago, sure he's still in the "if in doubt kick it out" camp, but he's been fine.

We had three clean sheets in a row against Huddersfield (Morgan started the game), Chelsea and Watford and people act like we were amazing in defence. That defence then got mullered against Everton first half.

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's not so much the team selection being the worrying thing, fans and managers are always going to have differing opinions and when players don't play they do seem to become better because of it in fans eyes (I'm guilty of that) but it's the underlying indication that the old guard at this club are still very much having an influence on things. There's no other explanation for Simpson and Morgan walking back in to the team or James, Okazaki and Albrighton being picked regardless of their form. I'm sure this will be rubbished by many but if someone like Puel can't be brave enough to show little loyalty to past glories then we're not moving forward any time soon. It gives out the wrong message to squad players and no wonder a lot of them struggle to make an impact here, it's nigh on impossible to break the clique. I was hoping for a strong leader who would judge players on merit and have a long term vision for this club but I'm starting to think he's as weak as Shakespeare was at being scared to upset the applecart.

Albrighton got dropped for Gray as soon as Puel came in, it turned out Albrighton is just a better all round player still and he then replaced Gray who rarely takes the chance given to him. Chilwell seems to have played far more than Fuchs since Puel came in. Why would that continue to happen if what you say is true?

It's not like results improved particularly when the others play either. I think it's a tad harsh on Dragovic, but that's about it quite frankly.

36 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He was also shit second half and got pulled because we lost control of the middle of the park. What offside? If you mean N'didi, it was offside.

I like quoting this now because people were so insistent it was the be all and end all of player ratings, but whoscored had him as the lowest rated outfield player on the pitch. Silva also barely touched the ball in the final third of the pitch, which I find disappointing for someone who is meant to be far more attacking.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 13.25.21.png

Yes he wasn't great for the 15 minutes after half time, but the goal wasn't his fault and the pace at which he moved the ball was great. You do realise they knock off points if you're substituted early in a game right?

And yes it was offside, but it was a bizarre slightly unlucky call, and Iheanacho also missed a great chance. 

And if you're going to quote me on whoscored.com ratings - he was the fourth best outfielder player yet get hauled off.

Edited by Abrasive fox

What excited me about his appointment was his willingness to give 'The next generation' a chance. This was reiffirmed after our win against Tottenham when he brought on debutant Choudhury in what was an important game for us at the time. It paid off.

Whats happened since then? He seems to have gone backwards and reverted to playing the old guard, which I can't really even consider "trusted", because they aren't.  He's gone from rolling the dice and giving younger squad players a chance to instead giving the old boys their places back under no merit.

I don't know whats happened - whether its player power or whether he can't stop tinkering. But its frustrating going from what seemed like a manager who would bring about our much needed squad shakeup to a manager who's at the moment suffering the failings of his predecessors. 

I still think Puel is the right man for the job, I just hope he wakes up and smells the coffee soon enough. 

Edited by TheUltimateWinner
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

And if you're going to quote me on whoscored.com ratings - he was the fourth best outfielder player yet get hauled off.

From what I can see there were only two with worse scores around the time he came off? And he only seems to have lost a 0.05 for the sub? Only Diabate in the front six had the same points or less, and he'd have been docked for the yellow card.

Anyway, pointless discussion as I think the scoring system is bollocks anyway. I just chuck it in as people were screaming at me how great a system it was.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 14.33.59.png

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

Albrighton got dropped for Gray as soon as Puel came in, it turned out Albrighton is just a better all round player still and he then replaced Gray who rarely takes the chance given to him. Chilwell seems to have played far more than Fuchs since Puel came in. Why would that continue to happen if what you say is true?

It's not like results improved particularly when the others play either. I think it's a tad harsh on Dragovic, but that's about it quite frankly.

Albrighton's form since Christmas has been poor and yet he starts week in, week out. Okazaki the same, they seemed to be dropped by Puel at the start of his tenure when both had been finding some form. Dragovic and Amartey must be wondering what more they can do, especially Dragovic who is very comfortable on the ball. With Simpson being a hindrance playing out from the back it's been a relief to have another defender alongside Maguire who could find some space but now Morgan is back and with James in there too it's easy to force us in to running out of ideas. Mahrez is our only creative outlet if we play that formation and starting XI last Saturday and teams sit back, double up on Riyad and let players who are so uncomfortable on the ball have time and space (Morgan, Simpson, James and Ndidi). 

I think our problems have started since Iborra either lost form or got dropped and never really got involved again, I can't even remember which happened. Before Xmas he was mustard for us.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Albrighton's form since Christmas has been poor and yet he starts week in, week out. Okazaki the same, they seemed to be dropped by Puel at the start of his tenure when both had been finding some form. Dragovic and Amartey must be wondering what more they can do, especially Dragovic who is very comfortable on the ball. With Simpson being a hindrance playing out from the back it's been a relief to have another defender alongside Maguire who could find some space but now Morgan is back and with James in there too it's easy to force us in to running out of ideas. Mahrez is our only creative outlet if we play that formation and starting XI last Saturday and teams sit back, double up on Riyad and let players who are so uncomfortable on the ball have time and space (Morgan, Simpson, James and Ndidi). 

I think our problems have started since Iborra either lost form or got dropped and never really got involved again, I can't even remember which happened. Before Xmas he was mustard for us.

Our problems started when we get drubbed by Palace with Iborra in the team.

Albrighton poor since Christmas? I must be watching a different team.

55 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Our problems started when we get drubbed by Palace with Iborra in the team.

Albrighton poor since Christmas? I must be watching a different team.

Yeah, think he's really gone off the boil. Given our recent struggles and Silva kicking his heels, I'd like to see 4-3-3 and that means Diabate and Mahrez up top with Vardy and then a midfield 3 of Ndidi, Silva and either Iborra or James. Or worst case I'd look at Albrighton as a wing back and this is where Chilwell seems to have the most joy, he's very good at running with the ball forward and seems to get more space when we play wing backs. He still is abysmal at crossing or shooting but with more space he's more chances of providing an attacking outlet. Personally I think Fuchs offers more but long term I can see why Puel wants to give Chilwell every chance of developing. This means we could get Dragovic back in too which is important and we could fcuk James back off for a creative player like Silva and have enough protection. Diabate, Okazaki, Gray or Iheanacho alongside Mahrez in behind Vardy. Something needs tinkering with to kick start us, we've stagnated over the last few months and Puel seems very slow to react, his substitutions highlight this, it's baffling.

8 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Has anyone wondered why Amartey disappeared from the team around the transfer window? 

There may be a good reason CP has since left him out that is not for pure footballing reasons.

Just saying.....

Amartey kicked off because he didn't get a move? It's a good job Puel doesn't treat all players the same then as Mahrez would be training with the kids.

Rather than start a thread, I'll ponder here now as to whether the old guard needs breaking up sooner rather than later. If, and it's a big if, the rumours of the clique 'running the show' are true, then we have a bit of a malignant melanoma within the club, and it needs cutting out.

I don't like saying it, I don't even like thinking it, but maybe the only way forward is to break the champions right up and allow some new 'champions' to have their day.

• Like 1