Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lcfc_ben

Puel-come to the future

This is starting to feel like most of the first season back in the prem under Pearson where it is difficult to pick a best eleven.

The team should pick itself but we don't look like a unit and there is no urgency to get it forward.

We've got more competition for places than ever but difficult to find the best team at the moment.

Many fans have differing views on who should start whether it's:

Fuchs or chilwell

Drago or Morgan

Maguire or Huth

Diabate, Gray or Mahrez

Iborra, Silva or James

Nacho, Shinji (when fit) or another fwd

Edited by foxtillidrop

It’s his team selections that are worrying not his style of play. Nobody was complaining about that after Southampton and Peterborough, far from it. Yes you’re all right his style of play is possession based football, so he shouldn’t be playing players like Morgan and Simpson then. That’s an issue of team selection. The question is would you rather have the style of play changed back to what it was before to accommodate Morgan and Simpson or have it remain what it is with other players who are more suited to it? I think I know the answer to that given a large proportion of our fans wanted Shakespeare gone because he was “sending us to sleep”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Jesus, what a bunch of moaning entitled rubbish on this forum.

If one of our “nearly” efforts had gone in, we’d not have had to suffer half these threads (“Puel Out” - give me strength) and we’d probably have people saying we can chase down Arsenal.

How was the last 20 minutes “boring” when we laid siege to their goal?  It was thrilling.

If you think we played scintillating football for the whole every game, even when we won the league, you are mistaken.

Puel is trying to turn the tanker, develop our squad and our style of play from the title winning year, and he deserves time and at least one Summer window.  Those of us who watched us flounder and get relegated years ago should know that teams who change their manager every five minutes will end up failing.

If you want to win every game playing stylish champagne football, go and support Barcelona.  We are on track to finish in our second highest position that I can remember, and I’m bloody ancient.

This is truly a golden era for us.

Get over yourselves.

One sentence............2 wins in 11! 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RutlanderFox said:

It’s his team selections that are worrying not his style of play. Nobody was complaining about that after Southampton and Peterborough, far from it. Yes you’re all right his style of play is possession based football, so he shouldn’t be playing players like Morgan and Simpson then. That’s an issue of team selection. The question is would you rather have the style of play changed back to what it was before to accommodate Morgan and Simpson or have it remain what it is with other players who are more suited to it? I think I know the answer to that given a large proportion of our fans wanted Shakespeare gone because he was “sending us to sleep”

Think you've hit the nail on the head. I like the style that Puel has got us playing, but you have to ask if we have the players in the squad to play the style effectively. Simpson can't play the style effectively, the move breaks down every time he gets the ball. I fail to see how James adds anything to this tactical style either. Morgan isn't as bad as some make him out to be, but he's not as calm on the ball as Dragovic and I thought it was noticable today how Maguire seemed less confident on the ball than he was with Dragovic. On paper Gray should be able to play the style but despite getting lots and lots of chances I am not seeing any improvement in his game.

Today was a poor display, but I would say that we at least kept the ball on the floor and tried to play football. That's significant improvement from Shakespeare and with some better finishing could have won the game today (even if we didn't deserve to). I'd prefer this type of poor display to a hoof it long over and over poor display from last season. Of course I'd prefer to win games most of all :).

We have dropped so many points recently it is becoming a worry and starting to be remiscent of Puel's time at Southampton where he started strong but then the fans and players clearly lost patience with him. Today I think that though the team selection wasn't great, the players let him down. Stoke scored because we made a catalogue of errors and we could have won the game with some better finishing. But Puel needs to get hold of these players and wake them up, as it seems like we are coasting too much. I personally hopes he drops a number of those players to give them a wake up call. I'd argue that Simpson, James, Morgan and even Kasper could all do with one game out of the team. Diabate should be in ahead of Gray too.

For Puel I feel the summer will be huge. He has only signed one player and that player in his defence looks a good propsect. But we will lose Mahrez and many of the senior team will be even older. If he gets in 1 or 2 marquee players of his choosing and gets the summer to work with the team on the training ground I could see us improve a lot and it could all of a sudden click. But equally players could come back tired from the world cup then possibly start the season without much of a rest due to Europe and with Mahrez gone all of a sudden look like the very average team that we looked like today. Of course I hope this doesn't happen but it's a fear of mine for sure.

• Like 3

It's a little bit above the last days of Claudio and Shakey but its very frustrating not to be taking these chances.

Claude was his own worst enemy today. Wouldn't be as damning for him if he went with Dragovic and/or Silva/Iborra. Picking Danny and Wes along with James was flagged by us before kick off as a setback and so it proved. Picking the old relaibles is what led to such fan unrest with Shakey.

No guarantee we would have won with Dragovic but it would have looked better in the long term had we won. Litttle by little moving away from the Pearson era and preparing for something new. Danny and Wes haven't been our worst players this season at all but picking them today felt like a step backwards.

To his credit he has been a bit bold with team selection so far but today was his worst day by far. Try doing that again and he could end up heading the same way as his predecessors.

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 1

I don't think ive felt so disappointed after a game for ages, some matches against the big boys its a given ull probably not going to up with anything,  but today was just awful,  id be interested to know how many times we went back to the keeper from moving forward positions, it seems to have become more and more noticeable, i just don't see what it achieves, we seem uncomfortable playing this way, is Puel that blind to how pointless this style of play is, I'm start to wonder maybe he's so boring to listen to, the players have stopped bothering? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

I don't think ive felt so disappointed after a game for ages, some matches against the big boys its a given ull probably not going to up with anything,  but today was just awful,  id be interested to know how many times we went back to the keeper from moving forward positions, it seems to have become more and more noticeable, i just don't see what it achieves, we seem uncomfortable playing this way, is Puel that blind to how pointless this style of play is, I'm start to wonder maybe he's so boring to listen to, the players have stopped bothering? 

At Southampton, Puel firstly lost the players then the fans and finally the board with this type of football where seeing today at Leicester. 

We could of had Sean Dyche but the board or owners had reservations about him.

6 hours ago, Collibosher70 said:

Doesn' know his best 11...plays james in ront of silva drops dragovic for morgan..there is no game plan...no spark in midfield today and I thought it' only a matter of time before silva comes on...no shape..vardy isolated..at home to stoke not Barcelona...our owners don't muck about so if he doesn' improve he'll be gone...I'd get rid tommorrow 

And it’s exactly this sort of attitude that has led to the demise of a host of ‘established’ premier league teams...

Edited by Stan

We are going backwards of late.  Puel’s team selections are now the same as what Shaky would have chosen.   Gone are the Team selections that showed progression and fresh ideas.  Hoof ball and lack of ideas is back with avengence.  Huth and Shinji will be back soon, then we will have a Shaky ‘full house’.   Worrying.

Edited by mozartfox
Why not
  • Like 1

Possession based football based on the premise that you can’t lose if the opposition don’t have the ball, in principle it’s a good idea but it only works if there is an end product to the endless sideways and backwards passing, but there isn’t, we are lacking goals throughout the team, only Vardy and Mahrez pose any threat in front of goal and against opponents like Stoke the threat of Vardy is nullified because we are so slow in our build up, Ndidi and James won’t score so we’re reliant on a bit of magic from Mahrez or Gray to create a chance, or a bit of luck as in yesterday’s goal, the lack of goals throughout the team is worrying.

i can imagine they’ll be plenty of disappointing draws against the bottom teams playing as we are.

14 hours ago, l444ry said:

To be fair, the games are "boring" because the opposition won't come out of their shell.

Exactly. Yesterday was turgid, but Stoke are scrapping for their place in the division next season and came to not be beaten, men behind the ball and not many committed forward, so even on the occasion we went back to front quickly (Kaspers long arrowed kicks to Riyad) they had men over. People can complain possession was sterile, and they'd be right, but it's not as if there was the option for slick, fast counter-attacks.

It is concerning that of that three behind the striker, only riyad seems to know how to unpick a defence, and stopping him means turning us into a side that passes side to side, pumps it into the mixer, gets it cleared back to them and tries the same thing again, but I don't imagine Puel is saying to them, "lads, they're great in the air so let's look to cross it every chance we get"

• Like 1

Sadly this dimwit will get the summer and get binned mid October when we are around the bottom 3.

Pathetic merry go round situation and to be fair he should never have been appointed in the first place.

Nothing will change in our recruitment style on the pitch or at management level until the real cancer of the club Rudkin has gone.

The owners faith and 'loyalty' in this man is so blinding its a travesty to watch unfold.

Whilst there’s plenty of great points in the thread I think we should revaluate at the end of the season. When Puel took over we were 14th, we are currently 8th and made it to the last 8 of both cup competitions. I think you can objectively say we are better than under Shakespeare early in the season. 

You get the sense around the ground and on the forums that the honeymoon period is over, but the man should be given some more time to get his plan working. 

• Like 2