Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Whats your favourite year in music?

Ever since Bill Haley, Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry etc. made music exciting there have been many classic years in Rock music history.

With so many different ages & tastes on this board, what is your favourite year in music?

I'll kick off with 1979. Some classic albums from that year. Here's just a few.

Setting sons - The Jam

Armed forces - Elvis Costello

London Calling - The Clash

The Specials 1st album

Cool for cats - Squeeze

One step beyond - Madness

Inflammable material - Stiff little fingers

A different kind of tension - Buzzcocks

The Undertones 1st album

What a time to be young & alive!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, artic fox said:

The 60s do it for me,

The Who

The Byrd's

Mama's & Papa's

Buffalo Springfield

The Hollies

The Moody Blues

Looking back, obviously I wasn't alive at the time lol , but I'd love to have seen 1966 - Aftermath (Stones), Revolver (Beatles), Pet Sounds (Beach Boys), Blonde on Blonde (Dylan), Face to Face (Kinks) all in one year!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Looking back, obviously I wasn't alive at the time lol , but I'd love to have seen 1966 - Aftermath (Stones), Revolver (Beatles), Pet Sounds (Beach Boys), Blonde on Blonde (Dylan), Face to Face (Kinks) all in one year!

Good call. Add to that list. 

A Quick one - The Who

Small Faces 1st album

• Like 2

Nirvana - Nevermind

Pearl Jam - Ten

Pixies - Trompe Le Monde

Guns N Roses - Use Your Illusion

Metallica - Black Album

Ozzy Osbourne - No More Tears

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Some crackers in there

Edited by Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo
  • Like 3

Got to agree with 1991 the grunge scene and House music at its peak, there's about 10 truly classic albums listed above.

Maybe I'm getting old but I can't think of an album released in the past 15 years that will be regarded in the same breath as Nevermind or Screamadelica.

Edited by MrsJohnMurphy
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Got to agree with 1991 the grunge scene and House music at its peak, there's about 10 truly classic albums listed above.

Maybe I'm getting old but I can't think of an album released in the past 15 years that will be regarded in the same breath as Nevermind or Screamadelica.

depends on your genre of music though. 

things like Kanye’s MBDTF & Kendrick Lamar’s good kid maad city to name just two from the last decade that are undoubtably classics of a genre as well as genuinely defining an artist/time in music/etc. 

obviously there wont be any more grunge albums like those you mention cos nobody makes grunge music anymore. also hard to have “recent classics” cos the whole point is that nobody really knows how good an album will be until it stands the test of time. in 1991 there was probably the same discussion and people saying yeh this nirvana record is decent but it’s not a classic like some of that beatles stuff etc. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Allnighters at the Eclipse in Coventry and massive outdoor raves at Donnington Park.

Happy days :)

First thought 1966 - already covered.

1977: -

The Clash: The Clash

Damned, Damned, Damned: The Damned

Never Mind the Bollocks: The Sex Pistols

Rattus Norvegicus: The Stranglers

No More Heroes: The Stranglers

Pink Flag: Wire

Lust For Life: Iggy Pop

In the City: The Jam

Young Loud and Snotty: The Dead Boys

Spiral Scratch: The Buzzcocks

Blank Generation: Richard Hell and the Voidoids

Rocket to Russia: The Ramones

New Boots and Panties: Ian Drury and The Blockheads

Marquee Moon: Television

Pure Mania: The Vibrators

Also...

Low: David Bowie

Exodus: Bob Marley and The Wailers

Lights Out: UFO

A Farewell To Kings: Rush

Let There Be Rock: AC/DC

Rumours: Fleetwood Mac

Animals: Pink Floyd

Heroes: David Bowie

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Line-X said:

First thought 1966 - already covered.

1977: -

The Clash: The Clash

Damned, Damned, Damned: The Damned

Never Mind the Bollocks: The Sex Pistols

Rattus Norvegicus: The Stranglers

No More Heroes: The Stranglers

Rocket to Russia: The Ramones

Hell yes, good call, they are all must-haves for punk fans. In fact The Clash needs to be bought twice as the UK and USA versions are completely different

14 hours ago, Line-X said:

Low: David Bowie

Exodus: Bob Marley and The Wailers

Lights Out: UFO

A Farewell To Kings: Rush

Let There Be Rock: AC/DC

Rumours: Fleetwood Mac

Animals: Pink Floyd

Heroes: David Bowie

For someone who has Crass as their avatar you have very eclectic tastes in music. Bravo

On 28/02/2018 at 18:29, ScouseFox said:

depends on your genre of music though. 

things like Kanye’s MBDTF & Kendrick Lamar’s good kid maad city to name just two from the last decade that are undoubtably classics of a genre as well as genuinely defining an artist/time in music/etc. 

obviously there wont be any more grunge albums like those you mention cos nobody makes grunge music anymore. also hard to have “recent classics” cos the whole point is that nobody really knows how good an album will be until it stands the test of time. in 1991 there was probably the same discussion and people saying yeh this nirvana record is decent but it’s not a classic like some of that beatles stuff etc. 

No.

I like Kanye's stuff, but Dark Fantasy is hardly ground-breaking, it could be argued it's not even his best album and Lamar isn't doing anything that wasn't done before. Much of the music they have as contemporaries sounds similar.

Nevermind and Screamadelica came at a time the charts were dominated by SAWs awful conveyor belt of garbage and rock music had been murdered in the 80s by succession of big hair, MOR, rock bands.

They and many of the 1991 albums were a huge sea change and a breath of fresh air in a stagnating music industry.

Also, the Beatles are just a boyband.

50 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

No.

I like Kanye's stuff, but Dark Fantasy is hardly ground-breaking, it could be argued it's not even his best album and Lamar isn't doing anything that wasn't done before. Much of the music they have as contemporaries sounds similar.

Nevermind and Screamadelica came at a time the charts were dominated by SAWs awful conveyor belt of garbage and rock music had been murdered in the 80s by succession of big hair, MOR, rock bands.

They and many of the 1991 albums were a huge sea change and a breath of fresh air in a stagnating music industry.

Both albums are considered undeniable classics in the hip hop community

favourite year in music - 1988

angel of Harlem - U2

Beat Dis - Bomb the Bass

Big Fun - inner City

Buffalo Stance - Neneh Cherry

Don't woeey, be Happy - Bobby Mcferrin

Every rose has it's thorn - Poisen

Fast Car - Tracy Chapman

Good Life - Inner City

Hungry eyes - Eric Carmen

Real gone Kid - Deacon Blue

Toy soldiers - Martika

plus many many more!

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Both albums are considered undeniable classics in the hip hop community

Yeah, but at a time when hip hop was popular. Rock music was dead by the end of the eighties and those albums revitalized the genre, is the point I'm making. Guess it comes down to how much you care about the demise of certain types of music :dunno:

9 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

No.

The Beatles are "just a boyband" who happened to inspire every major band after them. England offered nothing before the Beatles, everybody then was inspired by Perkins, Berry, Everley Brothers etc who were all American.

You go on about the Beach Boys so much and I hate to break it to you but they were massively inspired by the Beatles. Brian Wilson, who I personally think is a genius too, said Rubber Soul was the first "complete" album ever and wrote Pet Sounds to try and beat it (in fact, Townshend and Jagger said they tried to write an album better than Rubber Soul). I'll also add that Wilson said he had a "breakdown" after hearing Revolver by the Beatles.

You said that you wrote Pet Sounds as an attempt to match the standard of The Beatles’ Rubber Soul album. What was it about Rubber Soul that had such a profound effect on you as a songwriter and musician?

Brian Wilson: "It had such a cool vibe and I wanted to do something similar to it and that's how I came up with Pet Sounds."

Did you see that I highlighted? Standard. Tried to match the standard of the Beatles.

Edited by Fox92

11 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

The Beatles are "just a boyband" who happened to inspire every major band after them. England offered nothing before the Beatles, everybody then was inspired by Perkins, Berry, Everley Brothers etc who were all American.

You go on about the Beach Boys so much and I hate to break it to you but they were massively inspired by the Beatles. Brian Wilson, who I personally think is a genius too, said Rubber Soul was the first "complete" album ever and wrote Pet Sounds to try and beat it (in fact, Townshend and Jagger said they tried to write an album better than Rubber Soul). I'll also add that Wilson said he had a "breakdown" after hearing Revolver by the Beatles.

Did you see that I highlighted? Standard. Tried to match the standard of the Beatles.

You've repeated yourself about this multiple times, at this point you should probably just accept other people can have different opinions on the Beatles and ignore them if they don't share your point of view 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Samilktray said:

You've repeated yourself about this multiple times, at this point you should probably just accept other people can have different opinions on the Beatles and ignore them if they don't share your point of view 

I can. I’ve seen multiple posts on here regarding them and agreed but I’m bound to respond to something pathetic like “just a boyband”.