Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

I can never understand how fans try devalue what teams like Man City and Chelsea have done just because they’ve spent, plenty of teams smaller than them spent money to win trophies over the years way before the Prem came about, its all relative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yes said:

I can never understand how fans try devalue what teams like Man City and Chelsea have done just because they’ve spent, plenty of teams smaller than them spent money to win trophies over the years way before the Prem came about, its all relative.

It's a bit different when they're funded by blood money, it's set a bad precedent

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
2 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

It's a bit different when they're funded by blood money, it's set a bad precedent

? Genuinely please explain. 

1 minute ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Valid point, but I was thinking more from a fan perspective, people seem more bothered by the fact they’ve spent money as opposed to being bothered by where the money’s come from.

15 minutes ago, Yes said:

Blackburn essentially bought the title with jack Walkers money. Only difference really was the price. Back then £20m was more than enough, whereas now it doesn't even buy you one proven PL player.

21 minutes ago, Yes said:

It’s a Hollow way to get success, no one cares when man city win trophies because we all know they haven’t earned shit

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Just look at these owners, the qataris with PSG, UAE with Man City, these clubs are bought to whitewash the atrocities they are responsible for back in their relative countries

Even putting that aside, I think people look at a project like man city and think you're playing football manager with unlimited money cheat, they've also manipulated sponsorship deals in order to bypass FFP essentially cheating. It just leaves a bitter taste for most fans that success can be bought now and not because of a clubs standing or a clubs development

In fairness no team in history has probably spent as consistently as Man City have over this past decade or so, so I understand where you’re coming from, but I still think it’s a little unfair on the fans of those clubs to completely invalidate their trophies.

What I disagree with is the idea buying success is anything new, it might have only been over the space of a couple of seasons but a lot of teams in the past spent more than everyone else to win titles/trophies.

Just now, OadbyBlue said:

It’s a Hollow way to get success, no one cares when man city win trophies because we all know they haven’t earned shit

So what does it take to earn a trophy? The way we won the title was considered one of the biggest shocks in the sports history for a reason, if you don’t spend you rarely compete at the top.

7 minutes ago, Yes said:

In fairness no team in history has probably spent as consistently as Man City have over this past decade or so, so I understand where you’re coming from, but I still think it’s a little unfair on the fans of those clubs to completely invalidate their trophies.

What I disagree with is the idea buying success is anything new, it might have only been over the space of a couple of seasons but a lot of teams in the past spent more than everyone else to win titles/trophies.

No one is invalidating their trophies? In fact you'll find most of the media and fans praise the way Man City play and the quality football they produce.

1 minute ago, Yes said:

So what does it take to earn a trophy? The way we won the title was considered one of the biggest shocks in the sports history for a reason, if you don’t spend you rarely compete at the top.

yes but there is a balance to be had.  Fergies utd teams had the respect because, while they spent big on a few marquee players they always had plenty of home grown talent coming though the ranks. Our current squad also, is based on a policy of emerging talent, either scouted or from the academy, with purchases offset through  big sales (Mahrez, maguire), whereas Man city, Chelsea (although that is changing due to their ban) have simply tried to buy with no attempt at balancing the books or bringing through talent. Man Utd have tried this approach in recent years but have obviously got it horribly wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, UniFox21 said:

No one is invalidating their trophies? In fact you'll find most of the media and fans praise the way Man City play and the quality football they produce.

I’m not saying anyone here but other fans do invalidate their trophies, it’s not uncommon to hear people say “but they only won that because of money” when talking about Man City or Chelsea, which even if that statements true my point is you could say the same about most teams that have won trophies at some point or another.

8 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Can't remember which thread it was in but someone on here suggested there might be a new sponsor in the near future...

If we want to compete we need every single penny we can get, otherwise we're putting ourselves at a disadvantage. We should be pulling £10m easy. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Yes said:

Difference between Man City and other clubs is other clubs success usually originally comes from a successful team being built off the back of youth/local players, even if now they all have money, man city came out nowhere to bidding for kaka in one year 

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If we want to compete we need every single penny we can get, otherwise we're putting ourselves at a disadvantage. We should be pulling £10m easy. 

Can't see King Power giving up the chance to push their brand. The amount of times King Power is written on the inside of the stadium is ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Definitely, though I would be disappointed if we got sucked into the Betting Company roundabout; it's not a good moral sponsor and a number of them have horrendous logos. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Definitely, though I would be disappointed if we got sucked into the Betting Company roundabout; it's not a good moral sponsor and a number of them have horrendous logos. 

I’m not having a pop, just asking, but say we were sponsored by Carlsberg, would you have the same issue? 

25 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I agree, though I wonder if they're just being cautious regarding FFP rules? As far as I can recall they haven't announced a renewal of the deal since the takeover. Since that was signed the value of the club has shot up more than tenfold - perhaps KP will upgrade the sponsorship package to reflect that?