Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

Digging around TIFO football (Great stuff) on youtube, found this - Its a year old, so I am 100% certain it must have be posted before, but its new too me, so maybe to others too

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Spurs have always had a massive fan base. Made obvious by the fact they have moved to a huge stadium due to a massive Season Ticket  waiting list despite the fact they are, relatively speaking, shite and have won very little recently.

It wasnt spurs specific, just in general. But yes, some clubs are semi immune to that. (Such as Man Utd, arsenal etc) 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

On the "Which is the bigger club" topic, as others have said, history doesn't really mean anything. It always makes me laugh when someone says "We're a bigger club than you because we've won more than you". For example; I coach a team full of Forest fans, they all claim to be bigger than us BECAUSE they won 1 League title and 2 European cups (Despite the fact that this happened even before some of their parents were born) Assuming we are all aware that football started before 1992, Sunderland have won the English top flight 6 times, and been runners up 5 times. That equals both Chelsea and Manchester City's records. Does that mean in terms of club size, the 3 are all equal? No. Because Sunderland's last league title was in the 1935-36 season and they have been largely irrelevant in the footballing world ever since.

Going by league titles alone, the following teams, as well as those you would expect to see, are "Bigger" than us, according to fans of clubs who justify their league titles for being the reason why they are a bigger club:

Sunderland, Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves, Leeds, Huddersfield, Blackburn, Preston, Derby, Burnley & Portsmouth. Of those clubs, realistically only Newcastle and Leeds even come close to us currently in terms of fanbase, international recognition, income and recent achievements.

I remember when Jim White said we were currently the biggest in the Midlands and it caused quite a stir, but in recent years a lot of these self proclaimed big clubs have performed poorly.

In the Premier League era all the other Midlands clubs have won a combined 3 trophies (3 League Cups) 

We ourselves have won 3, including a league title. 

56 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

On the "Which is the bigger club" topic, as others have said, history doesn't really mean anything. It always makes me laugh when someone says "We're a bigger club than you because we've won more than you". For example; I coach a team full of Forest fans, they all claim to be bigger than us BECAUSE they won 1 League title and 2 European cups (Despite the fact that this happened even before some of their parents were born) Assuming we are all aware that football started before 1992, Sunderland have won the English top flight 6 times, and been runners up 5 times. That equals both Chelsea and Manchester City's records. Does that mean in terms of club size, the 3 are all equal? No. Because Sunderland's last league title was in the 1935-36 season and they have been largely irrelevant in the footballing world ever since.

Going by league titles alone, the following teams, as well as those you would expect to see, are "Bigger" than us, according to fans of clubs who justify their league titles for being the reason why they are a bigger club:

Sunderland, Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves, Leeds, Huddersfield, Blackburn, Preston, Derby, Burnley & Portsmouth. Of those clubs, realistically only Newcastle and Leeds even come close to us currently in terms of fanbase, international recognition, income and recent achievements.

I would suggest that Sunderland also have a larger fanbase than us (in addition to Leeds and the geordies)

All matter of opinion, for me it probably goes:

Man Utd/Liverpool (will prob never change)

Arsenal (will always traditionally be a big club but not on the same level at Man U and Pool)

Chelsea/Man City (the new big clubs with their own history prior to money)

Spurs (based on being current top 6)

Newcastle/Leeds/Everton/Aston Villa (these teams are possibly on par with Spurs in terms of size but without recent success)

Sunderland (big fanbase but currently sh ite)

Leicester (the 2016 era title win prob puts us marginally above the next group)

About 15 interchangeable teams depending on success at that point in time such as Southampton / Wolves / West Brom / Norwich / Sheff Wed / Derby / Forest, etc....

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’ve said this before but at what time does the main opinion go from Wednesday, Leeds, Forest being sleeping giants to just shit teams who haven’t been in top flight for 15 years plus 

Dead giants don’t sleep unless it’s forever. 

This “big club” debate and one which is championed by certain circles in the media is such a farce. There are clubs who have a very prestigious history. Liverpool, Man U etc. However, let’s not forget the current champions of the premier league are not a “big club” in any sense of the imagination - they’re a big team but their history wouldn’t leave a mark on any of the rest of the elite. Arsenal are another one - they are not biggest team in London let alone being amongst the elite in Europe. The here and now is important and how you make the best of your resources - how we dealt with the Maguire departure for example and if we can ensure that sort of progress despite a set back will ensure this club kicks it with the elite for as long as possible. 

3 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

This “big club” debate and one which is championed by certain circles in the media is such a farce. There are clubs who have a very prestigious history. Liverpool, Man U etc. However, let’s not forget the current champions of the premier league are not a “big club” in any sense of the imagination - they’re a big team but their history wouldn’t leave a mark on any of the rest of the elite. Arsenal are another one - they are not biggest team in London let alone being amongst the elite in Europe. The here and now is important and how you make the best of your resources - how we dealt with the Maguire departure for example and if we can ensure that sort of progress despite a set back will ensure this club kicks it with the elite for as long as possible. 

I think arsenal are the biggest club in london

just as yanited and liverpool are the biggest clubs outside London (and in the country as a whole). The rest is up for grabs and generally down to how much dosh, fanbase size and how ‘successful’ they are at the time (in the era being discussed)

it is quite tiresome though and I assume just makes clubs/support base that are under performing feel better about themselves ......

The simple fact of the matter, is that the league is a meritocracy on a continual basis not only on one specific season.

Strange right? The win in a specific season is based on one seasons results, not any previous seasons!

This is why Man City are still much smaller / relevant / insignificant / successful than Man Utd., why Leeds or Sheff Wed are still perceived as big clubs.

Is it right?

Of course not, but the lens in which success is judged in football relates to the media, global brand size and bizarrely history.

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

The simple fact of the matter, is that the league is a meritocracy on a continual basis not only on one specific season.

Strange right? The win in a specific season is based on one seasons results, not any previous seasons!

This is why Man City are still much smaller / relevant / insignificant / successful than Man Utd., why Leeds or Sheff Wed are still perceived as big clubs.

Is it right?

Of course not, but the lens in which success is judged in football relates to the media, global brand size and bizarrely history.

History slowly evolves .........the older ‘big clubs’ are in danger of losing their status if they can’t recover a consistent prem league status .....or does a consistent crowd of 35k+ guarantee that they retain this ??? At some point soon, Wednesday can’t claim to be a ‘big club’ and they risk their support base being eroded too much. There are others. Like I said earlier - it’s usually fans of clubs who are underperforming that get involved in this whole thing...... and the media push it to keep their fans involved. 

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

History slowly evolves .........the older ‘big clubs’ are in danger of losing their status if they can’t recover a consistent prem league status .....or does a consistent crowd of 35k+ guarantee that they retain this ??? At some point soon, Wednesday can’t claim to be a ‘big club’ and they risk their support base being eroded too much. There are others. Like I said earlier - it’s usually fans of clubs who are underperforming that get involved in this whole thing...... and the media push it to keep their fans involved. 

Quite agree, and this is a multi generational thing and not something that happens within a single generation.

Edited by Dahnsouff

42 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’ve said this before but at what time does the main opinion go from Wednesday, Leeds, Forest being sleeping giants to just shit teams who haven’t been in top flight for 15 years plus 

Leeds at least have won the league and played CL football in recent adult memory.

Sheffield Wednesday are a complete bogus club. They've won 1 trophy (league cup) in nearly 100 years. Spent the last 20 years in 2nd & 3rd tier of English football. Yet all I hear is that they're a big club that belong in the Premier League. Total garbage. 

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

lol Arsenal definitely are the biggest club in London

• Like 1