Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

5 minutes ago, egg_fried_rice said:

https://www.football365.com/news/whisper-it-but-leicester-city-arent-a-good-attacking-side

The general consensus on Leicester City is that Brendan Rodgers has put together a squad that’s 1) young 2) exciting 3) a genuine candidate for the top four. It’s one of the reasons this season is so f***ing brilliant. All of this may be true, but the stats might surprise you, particularly if you watched their 5-0 demolition of Newcastle.

Let’s get numerical and see exactly what Leicester are doing right (and wrong).

Attack
As we know, total shots tend to indicate the strength of a team’s attack. The top three in the league right now are Manchester City, Chelsea, and Liverpool. Where are Leicester City? At 13th, between Brighton and Norwich.

Okay, but the Foxes are tied for fourth in total goals, which probably means they’re getting pretty good shots. So naturally we go to xG, and we find that Leicester are…19th. That’s right: both Statsbomb and Understat have them next to last in the league in xG, ahead only of Newcastle. If we tweak it a bit, and drop penalties from the equation, they jump all the way to 18th, ahead of Crystal Palace as well.

Fourth in goals and 18th in xG is a gigantic discrepancy, which among other things suggests that Leicester get a high percentage of their shots on target. Going to that number, we find they’ve made the keeper work with 30.1% of their shots. The league average is 33.9%. They’re actually below average in hitting the target.

So how are they scoring? The answer is shooting percentage, or the percentage of their shots on target that actually go in. If we discount the one own goal, Leicester have scored 13 times from 28 shots on target. That’s 46.4%. That’s also impossible to sustain. Mo Salah, in his miracle year, was at 47.8%, and no one has a team of 2017/18 Mo Salahs. Last year the Man City attack had a shooting percentage of 35%. Liverpool did a bit better, at 37.6%. Arsenal topped the lot with a super-high 40.6%. This is a stat that tends to regress very strongly to the mean (at the moment 31.7%), so we can be sure Leicester’s numbers will drop.

When we look at the team’s individual scorers, we can see the problem more clearly. One man dominates the stats, Jamie Vardy with five goals, well ahead of James Maddison, Wilfred Ndidi and Ricardo Pereira with two each. But Vardy’s five goals have come from only seven shots on target, an absurd shooting percentage of 71.4%. Once again, Mo Salah’s big year was 47.8%. Going to conversion rate, Vardy’s five goals have come from only 12 unblocked shots, a similarly ridiculous 41.7%. The magnificent Mo only hit 28.9%.

As for the others, Maddison shoots as soon as he wakes up in the morning, but his two goals have come from only four shots on target. Ndidi and Pereira? They each have two goals from…two shots on target. By my calculation, that’s exactly 100%. We’re bordering on madness here.

I stopped reading here because I’m sure I’ve seen both players miss with attempts at goal this season. Am I wrong? 

5 minutes ago, Al-aLondon-Foxile said:

I stopped reading here because I’m sure I’ve seen both players miss with attempts at goal this season. Am I wrong? 

I think it's not clearly worded - I believe the 100% refers to shooting percentage (i.e. shots on target that go in), not conversion rate (i.e. % of goals from total shots). Basically, neither have had a saved shot - only missed or scored.

• Like 2

I don't know. I guess its just me, but when I try to read articles like that my eyes glaze over and my mind goes numb.

Kind of like learning math in elementary school. With no actual reference to the outside world. Total disconnect. To each his own.

Edited by SO1

Looks like it was written by a Liverpool fan with their constant adulation of Mo Salah's scoring rate. 

When we won the league (and even in subsequent seasons) Vardy has regularly had one of the best conversion rates in the top flight - almost twice as high as Harry Kane, and above some of Salah's numbers. If you looked at these same stats in our title season they'd probably paint a similar picture to what they do now and people were calling us 'unsustainable'. Didn't matter then, doesn't matter now.

• Like 2

Reeks of the same insecurities we saw from Spurs fans in 15/16.

We are in the champions league spots because we have the 4th most points after 8 games. That's literally all there is to it.

Edited by AKCJ
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I'll be astounded if Wilf hasn't hoofed at least one shot over the bar so far this season. 

His Field Goal attempts have been lacking this season.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

We are in the champions league spots because we have the 4th most points after 8 games. That's literally all there is to it.

United under Solskjaer had sky high conversion rates, all the stats suggested it was unsustainable - lo and behold they've regressed to the mean. I think the article has valid points but is still overly critical with the tone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Some fair points in that but doesn't really account for the fixtures we've had so far. Already knocked off Chelsea Liverpool and Man United away plus Spurs and the Portugese Burnley at home.

I expect those lacking stats will have crept up after the next set of 8 games.

Also doesn't account, and neither has any article I've read the clear difference in our attacking output when we play 4-1-4-1 compared with any variation of formation that leaves Maddison on the wing and very little width. The numbers are astonishing, Vardy has 1 goal under Rodgers when we've not played 4-1-4-1 but when he has he's got something like 15 in 12 games.

I do think we are nowhere near the finished article going forward, our wingers are barely having an impact on the game in goals and assists and this season Tielemans hasn't posted anywhere near the same ratio of goals and assists to games and yet we are in and around the top 4 after a very difficult run of opening fixtures. The real key to the progression and development of this team is the next half a dozen so called easier games when we can play to our strengths (should and could have been doing this even against difficult opposition, but that's now in the past) and articles like this can suck their mums.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

United under Solskjaer had sky high conversion rates, all the stats suggested it was unsustainable - lo and behold they've regressed to the mean. I think the article has valid points but is still overly critical with the tone.

Didn't we have a low xG but a high conversion rate for the full season when we won the league? Pretty sure Vardy and Mahrez were finishing something silly like 50% + of their shots on target.

Said it before, will say it again - these stats mean sweet F-all so long as you're consistently finishing when in front of goal and you keep it tight at the back.

They're the sort of Spursy stats which certain fans use to console themselves when Robert Huth sh*t-houses us a 1-0 win at White Hart Lane with one of only 2 shots on target on our way to the title. :ph34r:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Didn't we have a low xG but a high conversion rate for the full season when we won the league? Pretty sure Vardy and Mahrez were finishing something silly like 50% + of their shots on target.

Said it before, will say it again - these stats mean sweet F-all so long as you're consistently finishing when in front of goal and you keep it tight at the back.

They're the sort of Spursy stats which certain fans use to console themselves when Robert Huth sh*t-houses us a 1-0 win at White Hart Lane with one of only 2 shots on target on our way to the title. :ph34r:

Yeah we had hugely positive variance because of form and momentum. A lot of our overperfomrance can be attributed to playing on the counter too - obviously you have more time and space which makes creating chances and finishing either. 

Football analytics are starting to become much more mainstream now, Liverpool are one of the most analytically minded clubs and now they're absolutely flying. Its hugely valuable and to dismiss it out of hand is daft. Any edge you can find is so valuable and can help inform coaching to address problems.

Last season Arsenal and Chelsea went on huge winning runs, they both then reverted to type, as did Man Utd when they went on a long unbeaten run. Even as a stats/analytics advocate I'll confess it does take a little bit of joy out of the game if you pay too much attention to it but at the same time it can tell you a lot more than you'd think otherwise due to biases.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ealingfox said:

Some fair points in that but doesn't really account for the fixtures we've had so far. Already knocked off Chelsea Liverpool and Man United away plus Spurs and the Portugese Burnley at home.

I expect those lacking stats will have crept up after the next set of 8 games.

We've been there before, the next lot of fixtures will be every bit as tricky as the last lot.