Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

So many "puel out" calls from fans, so who replaces him?

Just now, OhYesNdidi said:

The football we are playing is actually an improvement on anything we’ve seen post 15/16 bar a few games. 

That might very well be true, in your experience.

I just know that I'm having much less fun travelling 250 odd miles to watch the home games than I used to. 

Slow, turgid, depressing and soul destroying (a little like my journey back on the M40/M25)

9 minutes ago, Milo said:

That might very well be true, in your experience.

I just know that I'm having much less fun travelling 250 odd miles to watch the home games than I used to. 

Slow, turgid, depressing and soul destroying (a little like my journey back on the M40/M25)

It’s odd - I feel much less stressed whilst we have more of the ball than used to be the case - leads to a more comfortable journey in my case although the M1 has been desperate recently.....

30 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

I'm under impression that some on here are almost offended by our 15/16 streak of hard grafted one-nils... I'd love it if Puel offended us with two hard grafted 1-0 wins with West Ham and Southampton for a change! And if he keeps on offending us this way further, I'll be over the moon... though I suspect neither 'hard' nor 'grafted' are in his vocabulary. Not to mention 'clean sheet', obviously ;)

Nobody is offended by it, but when people are trying to make out Puel has turned us from some amazing football team to a load of rubbish, it's going to be pointed out we've not been attacking, free flowing or actually entertaining for years. 

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

When Bournemouth or Everton pip us to 7th, will you still say Expectations are too High? 

This again I feel is fair criticism. With the players we have, the investment we’ve made and the pedigree of our manager (Puel has won a top league unlike Marco Silva or Eddie Howe) then I can understand unhappiness that we didn’t get 7th last season and probably won’t get it this. 

But just as a counter argument and to try and give a balanced view, at the start of the season the message from the club was “to transition to a more technical style, introduce younger players and to improve on last season’s position.” This is paraphrasing from an official statement in the program notes in our first home game and published on the website. Note that it doesn’t mention Europe. Reading between the lines this suggests to me the owners would be happy with 8th if the other objectives are met. Of the three criteria I’d say objectively the only one we are failing at currently is our league position. 

19 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I just don't get this point of view, were you seriously enjoying it under Shakespeare or under Claudio since the title win? Barring the champions league excitement, it's been pretty bloody miserable in the main. I don't understand why people keep acting like he's sole responsible for things turning a bit average and boring. 

Shakey was temporary, Claude feels permanent - That's the issue for me.

Claudio went mad and the football was horrible. Shakey was brought back to hold the fort...and then Claude came in and decided to bore the pants off us all and there seems no end in sight.

Your defence of him is admirable/bonkers/obsessive in equal measures.

Please don't tell me I'm wrong in what I'm feeling, just because you feel something different.  

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This again I feel is fair criticism. With the players we have, the investment we’ve made and the pedigree of our manager (Puel has won a top league unlike Marco Silva or Eddie Howe) then I can understand unhappiness that we didn’t get 7th last season and probably won’t get it this. 

But just as a counter argument and to try and give a balanced view, at the start of the season the message from the club was “to transition to a more technical style, introduce younger players and to improve on last season’s position.” This is paraphrasing from an official statement in the program notes in our first home game and published on the website. Note that it doesn’t mention Europe. Reading between the lines this suggests to me the owners would be happy with 8th if the other objectives are met. Of the three criteria I’d say objectively the only one we are failing at currently is our league position. 

it's great "to transition to a more technical style, introduce younger players" - but he will not lead us to "improve on last season’s position.”  His two flaws are his baffling "in-game contributions" - he seems unable to influence what we are doing and his substitutions change nada... so we will never beat well managed tames and that ain't good enough for 7th.   Worse, and for me the deciding factor, is that he is not someone I would follow in to battle.  I have been fortunate enough to for with people who are inspirational and who encouraged supper human performances from mere mortals...   that's not puel and we know it.  If he attracted that sort of respect and loyalty then we would be sticking with him through runs of poor results...  he is toooo Meh

I will never forget the game last season when they had a water break and all the players ignored him and he just stood there with his arms folded.

Edited by foxinsocks

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Good post :thumbup:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

it's great "to transition to a more technical style, introduce younger players" - but he will not lead us to "improve on last season’s position.” 

Indeed! After ten games of the season, which is normally a good indicator of where sides finish at the end, I believe it's not possible for us to be in 8th position. So currently  it doesn't look like he will pull this off by May 2019.

So whilst I think he should be given the rest of the season, this is for me a fair argument against him. But then given we are already 9 games into the season, who could come in and take us to 8th whilst keeping the other two goals in check? Bear in mind if we sacked Puel literally tonight the soonest a manager could come in, sign a contract and get down to business probably wouldn't be for at least two weeks unless they are already free.I could think of one person only off the top of my head - Arsene Wenger.

Thus I think that love him or loathe him, we will have Puel in charge for the duration of this season.

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Indeed! After ten games of the season, which is normally a good indicator of where sides finish at the end, I believe it's not possible for us to be in 8th position. So currently  it doesn't look like he will pull this off by May 2019.

So whilst I think he should be given the rest of the season, this is for me a fair argument against him. But then given we are already 9 games into the season, who could come in and take us to 8th whilst keeping the other two goals in check? Bear in mind if we sacked Puel literally tonight the soonest a manager could come in, sign a contract and get down to business probably wouldn't be for at least two weeks unless they are already free.I could think of one person only off the top of my head - Arsene Wenger.

Thus I think that love him or loathe him, we will have Puel in charge for the duration of this season.

You may be right in that  he will be kept on -  and even f they wanted to get rid they would have to find an better alternative...

...but he will never have the character to lead us to glory (or even 7th) - and he is so easily outwitted in games.

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

and only managed to win most games by a single goal ??

clubs began to take us seriously after January - those who were chasing a result didn't allow us to break quickly and we mostly couldn't ……...and most importantly of all, we had ngolo ……….

the fast transitions are possible when the opposition don't set up to prevent it ……………  this was the case prior to xmas ……..three seasons on under puel we still break quickly when the option arises (eg huddersfield,,everton plus examples last season).  and arsenal were unable to cope with us the other night for 35 minutes ………. we played plenty of football between their lines ……….. just lacked a tactical tweak once emery spotted the weakness in our set up  (which is ridiculous and i cannot defend puel over that)  

Absolute bollocks

Please obtain a copy of that season results, you will see a six week window out of the whole season where we ground out 1-0 wins.

Just now, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Absolute bollocks

Please obtain a copy of that season results, you will see a six week window out of the whole season where we ground out 1-0 wins.

I was talking about jan onwards ..... and I did look through the results ...... mind you, I didn’t need to....I remembered every game in detail .....

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Puel has managed quite a few other clubs with relative success. Howe left Bournemouth once and failed. 

You are only as good as your last season. No room for sentiment or history in football. He is a modern-day failure.

1 minute ago, Bunyip said:

Not at all. This thread if anything illustrates how some fans are stuck in the mediocrity mindset whereby they are just happy to be in the premier league without any ambition to be anything but. The title-winning season is no longer an excuse to sit back and not wish for anything else. Get a grip grow some balls and want for more.

Fair comments but none of us know exactly what his remit is and what expectations the owners have during the transitional seasons. There must be a target we are aiming for in seasons 19/20 and 20/21 ...........

2 minutes ago, chapero82 said:

This transition stuff is a load of bull, Bielsa changed the play with Leeds and look at them now! He didn’t need I don’t know how many chances and he’s done it with championship players l 

If he wasn't barking mad, I'd take Bielsa - he's like a cross between Pearson and Mad Dog...

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

If the fan base can’t cope with Claude’s pigeon eengleesh then gawd knows what they’d make of someone who actually can’t speak the language at all!!

Yeah, but his football does the talking...

Edited by Milo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/10/2018 at 20:24, chapero82 said:

I think it’s time for Puelexit.. let’s get the owners to do a referendum lol

because it seems just like the brexit merry go round 

I'll wager, more will back Puel..

Because the Puelexit brigade are just the  hot air minority...:yesyes:

• Like 4