Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

So many "puel out" calls from fans, so who replaces him?

3 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

I remembered Fenton just after I posted. Of those I only expected Eadie to be a 1st team player and the few times I saw him he looked good - serious injuries played their part unfortunately 

Gunnlaugsson I am fairly sure was a record transfer at the time! Mad

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

I'm struggling to recall any big purchases by O'Neill - Savage maybe?

There weren't many I admit _ Savage wasn't really an exorbitant purchase, neither was the aforementioned Graham Fenton for that matter - all came at around the £1 million mark or less which although was more than some of his other brilliant buys, still wasn't seen as silly money back then...while I don't recall Darren Eadie costing £3million but just checked and saw so! I was thinking players like Arnie Gunnlaugsson were perhaps more the big money flops, who came along after we'd become established in the Prem. a bit and when O'Neill then had a bit of cash to splash about, albeit money that ended up down the drain essentially! Graham Fenton was the biggest mystery to me : promised a lot, did pretty well at the likes of WBA and Blackburn but was hardly played by O'Neill! As said though, perhaps a bit harsh to judge O'Neill in that way as he didn't make that many 'big money' purchases at all. However then of course Peter Taylor took big money flops to a whole new level when he took over of course - Akinbiyi, Trevor Benjamin, Lee Marshall : to name just three! 

Edited by Guy

Most defending Puel probably aren’t exactly enamoured with him but we’re not very good at appointing managers. 

Out of work

Our assistant manager

Applied for the job

Felt forced out by arrival of incoming current owners, brought back

Washed up, big name out of work

Didn't suit the squad at all

Under our current ownership that’s a less than stellar management recruitment record 

Ah, Peter Taylor - he tried to change the way we played - took us to the top of the league and managed to finish a respectable 13th!!

I saw the home match against Red Star and we kept the ball well.

(3-5-2): Flowers; Rowett, Elliott, Taggart; Impey (Collymore, h-t), Savage, Lennon, Izzet, Guppy; Akinbiyi (Creswell, 65min), Eadie.

Collymore's days were numbered - only on as a half time sub? 

2 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

Ah, Peter Taylor - he tried to change the way we played - took us to the top of the league and managed to finish a respectable 13th!!

(3-5-2): Flowers; Rowett, Elliott, Taggart; Impey (Collymore, h-t), Savage, Lennon, Izzet, Guppy; Akinbiyi (Creswell, 65min), Eadie.

Taylor was a tactical ****wit ..... not a scooby

puel, even allowing for his tactical shortcomings is Alf bloody Ramsey compared to peter Taylor .......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

That first season under Taylor was a strange one but ultimately he got found out the following season. Although in his first season we were top by the end of September (2000) going into the international break with a run of a decent few results, complete with a sound defence unit set up (the likes of Gary Rowett, Callum Davidson and having Tim Flowers in goal), we had hardly pulled up any trees - we'd just raised a few eyebrows, while I thought we were poor against Redstar B. over the two legs! We then got truly found out in the league by our then nearest challengers (Man. U) in the game of 1st v 2nd of course when losing 0-3 at home, which then kind of set the theme for the rest of the season. That said, we did flirt with the top 6 right up until that spring in what was a relatively weak Premier league that season : before totally falling away to end up 13th after that infamous Wycombe FA Cup quarters defeat at Filbert of course! Taylor did effectively dismantle O'Neill's legacy by shipping out the likes of Walshy, Cottee, Ian Marshall and Collymore though. I remember that 5-2 win over Sunderland in O'Neill's last season and the future looked rosy but alas! Once he left we were never the same again until the rollercoaster Micky Adams era. Can't say I miss those days of uncertainty and I find being a steady and moderately successful midtable side better - even if it's boring! 

1 minute ago, Guy said:

That first season under Taylor was a strange one but ultimately he got found out the following season. Although in his first season we were top by the end of September (2000) going into the international break with a run of a decent few results, complete with a sound defence unit set up (the likes of Gary Rowett, Callum Davidson and having Tim Flowers in goal), we had hardly pulled up any trees - we'd just raised a few eyebrows, while I thought we were poor against Redstar B. over the two legs! We then got truly found out in the league by our then nearest challengers (Man. U) in the game of 1st v 2nd of course when losing 0-3 at home, which then kind of set the theme for the rest of the season. That said, we did flirt with the top 6 right up until that spring in what was a relatively weak Premier league that season : before totally falling away to end up 13th after that infamous Wycombe FA Cup quarters defeat at Filbert of course! Taylor did effectively dismantle O'Neill's legacy by shipping out the likes of Walshy, Cottee, Ian Marshall and Collymore though. I remember that 5-2 win over Sunderland in O'Neill's last season and the future looked rosy but alas! Once he left we were never the same again until the rollercoaster Micky Adams era. Can't say I miss those days of uncertainty and I find being a steady and moderately successful midtable side better - even if it's boring! 

Weird season, I was at Highbury on Boxing day and we lost 6-1 I think. Looked at the league table afterwards, we were still 4th!, if my memory serves me right.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.... No way he is leaving!! 

The owners need stability.... mid tale finishes are acceptable as we are about to invest in the infrastructure of the club financed by Premiership money. 

He will be here for the long haul..... doesn't matter what we think!!

No chance

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

Weird season, I was at Highbury on Boxing day and we lost 6-1 I think. Looked at the league table afterwards, we were still 4th!, if my memory serves me right.

Yeah, I remember that defeat - and we still managed to stay in and around the top 5 right up until losing to Wycombe in the cup, which then send the club into a downward spiral no less! A shame as it was only really Man U and Arsenal who were playing good stuff that season, Chelsea were in a transitional phase after Vialli had left and the likes of Liverpool, Spurs and Man City were bang average at that time! The following season was an embarrassment with that losing 0-5 at home to newly promoted Allardyce's Bolton horror show opener then 4-0 away at Arsenal. People calling for Puel now would do well to remember back to those times (if they're old enough to...!!)

2 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Well if we are going to imagine, Imagine if O'Neil had the owners we have now and the money to go with it?

Then you don't I understand the lure that Celtic has on men like O'neil,or Lennon!! There is a special bond..and attraction.

1 hour ago, TonyN11 said:

I'm struggling to recall any big purchases by O'Neill - Savage maybe?

Elliott, Claridge, Fenton, Sinclair, Impey, Arnar, Flowers, Eadie, can't remember what Zagorakis cost?

Whilst in today's terms, £1.5m or £3m for a player is chump change, you have to remember that in 1995 the English transfer record was £8.5m and Shearer cost £15m a year later.

£3m for Eadie is probably equal to a £20m transfer these days.

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Elliott, Claridge, Fenton, Sinclair, Impey, Arnar, Flowers, Eadie, can't remember what Zagorakis cost?

Whilst in today's terms, £1.5m or £3m for a player is chump change, you have to remember that in 1995 the English transfer record was £8.5m and Shearer cost £15m a year later.

£3m for Eadie is probably equal to a £20m transfer these days.

At that period we invested in an experienced midfield player,his name has to be mentioned...he was in my mind the best since,and after

D.Gibson....that was Garry Parker...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyN11 said:

Remember that well. Noon kick off. An arsenal fan on the way back to the car had the cheek to tell us cheer up it’s Christmas!

We were poor against Red Star. I don’t think they were that good but they were very streetwise with European football.

• Like 1

Southampton have done a better job of recruiting managers than us in the past, they sacked Puel ended up with someone much worse in Pellegrino and ‘salvaged’ their season with Mark Hughes. 

I think he’s an average premier league manager but it’d be very risky to sack him, we’d most likely end up with an out of work manager again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

We’re not very good at appointing managers. 

Out of work

Our assistant manager

Applied for the job

Felt forced out by arrival of incoming current owners, brought back

Washed up, big name out of work

Didn't suit the squad at all

Under our current ownership that’s a less than stellar management recruitment record 

Our owners appointed a manager who having once rescued us from our lowest ever position, returned to sort out Sven's mess, then won us promotion and kept us in the Premier League. You could also argue he was the man who put a number of building blocks in place for his successor. [Players, squad mentality, team spirit etc]

Their next appointment won the Premier League and saw us win our CL group with a game to spare.

Then they promoted from within and he led us into the CL quarter final and kept us up comfortably.

The current appointment is still a work in progress - doing some good things and some bad things.

Sousa was appointed by Mandaric.

Sven was the current owners first appointment and overall it flopped. However, he did improve us from the dark days of Sousa.

Not too shabby then.

These are the best owners we've ever had. We can cut them some slack now and again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Just an interesting stat for the "Counter attack please, this football is boring brigade"... we've scored 4 counter attacks this season, that's the same number we got in the entire 16/17 season when Puel wasn't here. Last season we got 7 counters (third highest in the league), again more than 16/17 and two more than the title winning season.

We've kept that side of the game, what we need to do is just work on creating more open play shots from the extra possession.

So if I'm reading this right it's October and we're only one goal from a counter short of matching our entire 15/16 output? 

2 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Sunderland lured him away from there.

He had his Celtic-glory by then.

And Sunderland..at that time,was still hanging on to their past traditions and new hopes of being a Northern Giant.....

They ended up like the Smurfs and wombles,and vanished into the history books.

Oneil,still struggling with paying the mortgage,and Family health problems....

Hoping after Scottish triumphs,that he could fit easily into the top English flight.....got that wrong didn't he!!!

Though he stays with me,,with fond memories....

But another reason why Roy..Brendan Rodgers would not be on my LCFC wanted list....

59 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Anyone but Puel actually.

I bet your hardnose,can wear down the grindstone....

This Frenchman,will be haunting you in your dreams...what you gonna do, when we lift the cup..:banana:

Come on..!! I

Try to be a nice guy...

4 hours ago, TonyN11 said:

I was sitting in the North Bank that day.

Probably on a par with being in the Clock End when big Frank popped up with a late o.g. for them a few years later. ??

I was with my own fans in the Kop, when Frank continued with his incredible goalscoring run against Chelsea a few days later☹️