Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

2022 Qatar World Cup - Possible Expansion to 48 teams

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46042794

The expansion of the World Cup from 32 to 48 teams could be brought forward from 2026 to 2022, says Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

The change would require Qatar to share 2022 hosting duties with other countries in the region.

The decision has already been taken to expand the tournament in 2026, when it will be held in the USA, Canada and Mexico, and Infantino is now considering doing the same for 2022.

"If it is possible, why not?" he said.

"We have to see if it is possible, if it is feasible. We are discussing with our Qatari friends, we are discussing with our many other friends in the region and we hope that this can happen.

"And, if not, we will have tried. We will have tried because we always have to try to do things in a better way."

Speaking at the opening of the Asian Football Confederation's new headquarters in Kuala Lumpur, Infantino also reiterated his plans to expand the Club World Cup.

He said he wants to make it a "real competition" that "every club in the world can target".

Edited by stripeyfox

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46042794

The expansion of the World Cup from 32 to 48 teams could be brought forward from 2026 to 2022, says Fifa president Gianni Infantino.

The change would require Qatar to share 2022 hosting duties with other countries in the region.

The decision has already been taken to expand the tournament in 2026, when it will be held in the USA, Canada and Mexico, and Infantino is now considering doing the same for 2022.

"If it is possible, why not?" he said.

"We have to see if it is possible, if it is feasible. We are discussing with our Qatari friends, we are discussing with our many other friends in the region and we hope that this can happen.

"And, if not, we will have tried. We will have tried because we always have to try to do things in a better way."

Speaking at the opening of the Asian Football Confederation's new headquarters in Kuala Lumpur, Infantino also reiterated his plans to expand the Club World Cup.

He said he wants to make it a "real competition" that "every club in the world can target".

I thought the Qatari's where out of favour with the other countries in the region.

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

That quote is in relation to the world club cup, which if you are European, you’d have to win the champions league in order to qualify for it, currently anyway.

Absolutely,  my bad! That's what you get for posting first thing in a morning! My point was that every country is involved in the World Cup, i don't see the need for diluting the World Cup 'finals' any more. But, i guess being English we always have a fair chance of qualifying.

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I wonder which other countries in the region would share the hosting duties with Qatar under this plan?

Saudi Arabia? Yemen? Syria? Iraq? Israel? Palestine? Iran? So many great options.....

It wasn't long ago half of them were shutting their borders to Qatar. Wasn't it because Daesh funding was coming from Qatar? 

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It wasn't long ago half of them were shutting their borders to Qatar. Wasn't it because Daesh funding was coming from Qatar? 

Had to refresh my failing memory: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Qatar_diplomatic_crisis

"The 2017–18 Qatar diplomatic crisis began in June 2017, when Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Egypt, the Maldives, Mauritania, Senegal, Djibouti, the Comoros, Jordan, the Tobruk-based Libyan government, and the Hadi-led Yemeni government severed diplomatic relations with Qatar and banned Qatar airplanes and ships from entering their airspace and sea routes along with Saudi Arabia blocking the only land crossing.

The Saudi-led coalition cited Qatar's alleged support for terrorism as the main reason for their actions, insisting that Qatar has violated a 2014 agreement with the members of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC). Saudi Arabia and other countries have criticized Al Jazeera and Qatar's relations with Iran. Qatar claims that it has assisted the United States in the War on Terror and the ongoing military intervention against ISIL.

Initial supply disruptions were mitigated by additional imports from Iran and Turkey, and Qatar did not agree to any of the Saudi-led coalition's demands. The demands included reducing diplomatic relations with Iran, stopping military coordination with Turkey, and closing Al-Jazeera. On 27 July 2017, Qatari foreign minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani told reporters that Egypt, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Bahrain were showing "stubbornness" to Qatar and had not taken any steps to solve the crisis. Al Thani added that the Security Council, the General Assembly and "all the United Nations mechanisms" could play a role in resolving the situation. On 24 August 2017, Qatar announced that they would restore full diplomatic relations with Iran".

Sounds like a joint hosting job with Iran, then... :D

Money talks, though, so I imagine they'll be looking at Saudi.....let's ignore the fact that most of the 9/11 attackers were Saudis, that their citizens are also accused of funding ISIL and that they seem to have just slaughtered a journalist in their consulate in Turkey.... Maybe I'm getting too cynical?

27 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Money talks, though, so I imagine they'll be looking at Saudi.....let's ignore the fact that most of the 9/11 attackers were Saudis, that their citizens are also accused of funding ISIL and that they seem to have just slaughtered a journalist in their consulate in Turkey.... Maybe I'm getting too cynical?

Not to mention the funding of some of the most extreme salafist Mosques in Europe that has probably led to the deaths of many and probably caused irreparable damage to communities.

I read a great piece the other week I was going to post on here but forgot, most intellectual thought in international affairs now seems to think that if we get one, the next great global war could be in the middle east and the starting point would probably be the conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia. Syria has distracted us all but Yemen could turn out to be of far greater importance where they have effectively already started. 

Good look choosing a side in that one, militant Sunni Salafism against anti-semetic Shia. A terrifying thought.

Since its a farce anyway here's an alternative.

Straight knockout.

211 FIFA recognised national teams

Bottom 168 ranked teams play from round 1.

Top 43 ranked teams get a bye to round 2 with the winners of round 1 and a lucky loser from round 1.

Most games anyone will play from round 1 is 8.

No games are played at the same time so therefore games in round 1, 2 and 3 played around the clock. I'm talking Andorra v Sierra Leone at 2am followed by Tahiti v Laos at 4.30am.

FIFA go home loaded and happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Since its a farce anyway here's an alternative.

Straight knockout.

No games are played at the same time so therefore games in round 1, 2 and 3 played around the clock. I'm talking Andorra v Sierra Leone at 2am followed by Tahiti v Laos at 4.30am.

All-nighter, here I come! :thumbup:

11 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Going to be as bad as the Euros in 2016. So many pointless matches and low quality football. To think, Boxing Day premier league football is going to be cancelled for Honduras v Kazakhstan in Qatar

Would be a very entertaining diving spectacle.  How can you pass it up?

• 4 months later...

A comment from a user via the BBC Football website regarding Alex McLeish's Scotland hopes..

Certainly agree with it, and it's a shame for humanity and football that it won't be moved to a decent country.

'All fans love football stats.

Here is one, 

“If a minute’s silence was held for every death of a migrant worker in the building stadiums for the Qatar World Cup, the first 44 matches of the tournament would be played in total silence”

There can be no pride or thrill in participating in the 2020 World Cup in Qatar - be it footballer, coach or fan.'