Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Chilwell to Manchester City

On 31/03/2019 at 18:07, volpeazzurro said:

Better than Robertson by all accounts, says who exactly,  can you name that credible source?  One plays against Premiership and sometimes European standard players week in week out and the other plays against a bunch of nobody's, easy to look good in such lowly company. Do you think Robertson is better than Chilwell?  Chilwell has lots of improvement in him and is a few years younger than Robertson. Tierney is a decent player no doubt but hardly comparible at this stage as he's not done anything bar the odd European match. Sell Chilwell for about 40m and pay 20m for a completely unproven Tierney for about 20m would be poor business. You'd be getting 20m to spend. We don't need 20m that much at the expense of selling a huge prospect like Chilwell. 

I’d say the odds of chilwell maturing into a better player than Robertson are very slim. I’m sure we’d get more around 60mil for chilwell, get tierney and invest the rest 

Edited by Clarkey123

1 hour ago, Clarkey123 said:

I’d say the odds of chilwell maturing into a better player than Robertson are very slim. I’m sure we’d get more around 60mil for chilwell, get tierney and invest the rest 

You would be a terrible bookmaker.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mad biker said:

Chilwell is every bit as good, if not better than Robertson, you are falling into the "big club" better players bull shine, Maguire IS better than Van Dick, Riccardo IS better than AA and Chillwell IS better than Robertson !!  .......... IMO  :-)

You prove my original point completely lol 

5 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

Robertson is indeed an excellent player given, but, if we act like a small club and continue to sell our best players then we'll remain a small club and never progress. If we show no ambition, why would a player like Tielemans with ambition want to come to us? Accepted that all players have a price wherever they are ie Ronaldo at United and Coutinho at Liverpool but, there's no rush to sell a player like Chilwell at this stage of his development and under the tutelage of Rodgers there's a good chance he'll progress again next year. What if Tierney came and shows promise,  do we sell him after 12 months as well? It's about getting the  right players and not just having the money. If we sold Maguire and Chilwell there's nothing to guarantee that in return you'd buy another Slimani or Musa. Constant selling equals Southampton, we don't need the cash that much.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Robertson is indeed an excellent player given, but, if we act like a small club and continue to sell our best players then we'll remain a small club and never progress. If we show no ambition, why would a player like Tielemans with ambition want to come to us? Accepted that all players have a price wherever they are ie Ronaldo at United and Coutinho at Liverpool but, there's no rush to sell a player like Chilwell at this stage of his development and under the tutelage of Rodgers there's a good chance he'll progress again next year. What if Tierney came and shows promise,  do we sell him after 12 months as well? It's about getting the  right players and not just having the money. If we sold Maguire and Chilwell there's nothing to guarantee that in return you'd buy another Slimani or Musa. Constant selling equals Southampton, we don't need the cash that much.

Great post

• Like 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yeah that’s a fair point pal i don’t believe in selling your best players I just think sometimes chilwell is a little overhyped. Don’t get me wrong he is a good prospect , if he wanted to leave though and we could get the fees being thrown around that I wouldn’t stand in his way and be worried that the team will fall apart. I think there are players equally as good as chilly out there that would be available for a lot less

Edited by Clarkey123

1 hour ago, Clarkey123 said:

Yeah that’s a fair point pal i don’t believe in selling your best players I just think sometimes chilwell is a little overhyped. Don’t get me wrong he is a good prospect , if he wanted to leave though and we could get the fees being thrown around that I wouldn’t stand in his way and be worried that the team will fall apart. I think there are players equally as good as chilly out there that would be available for a lot less

Yet sometimes it's not our own that overhype him, in fact we're probably his biggest critics. Think about it, if Klopp and Guadiola have shown an interest in him and Southgate plays him in the England senior squad, are a bunch of Leicester fans right or does logic not just suggest that there might just be something quite special there?

He's still very young and sometimes in our impatience, whilst we sometimes fail to notice his workrate running from front to back and consistently being involved in the game, we ignore the majority of good things he does and judge him on a bad cross or defensive frailty. The latter he's improved on greatly this year and against some quality experienced opposition let's not forget. As for the former, I have seen many a time when he's been in a position to cross and our own players just haven't been in the box or even in a good position and he's had to cut back again. I would suggest that with players like those at Man City he wouldn't be in that position and Guadiola recognises that. Him and Klopp are not stupid!

You're right, without him and Maguire we wouldn't actually fall apart, but what would we be aiming for,  what would be the point? Sooner rather than later it would surely catch up with us. There's potentially massive attacking flair with Chilwell on the left and Ricardo on the right, it's taken years to get that why break it up, why not build on it,  consolidate and improve in other areas like with Tielemans etc? To break something potentially quite special up now would be nonsensical to put it mildly. To sell and buy people like Tierney (he's good), would just mean constantly rebuilding without an end goal. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yet sometimes it's not our own that overhype him, in fact we're probably his biggest critics. Think about it, if Klopp and Guadiola have shown an interest in him and Southgate plays him in the England senior squad, are a bunch of Leicester fans right or does logic not just suggest that there might just be something quite special there?

He's still very young and sometimes in our impatience, whilst we sometimes fail to notice his workrate running from front to back and consistently being involved in the game, we ignore the majority of good things he does and judge him on a bad cross or defensive frailty. The latter he's improved on greatly this year and against some quality experienced opposition let's not forget. As for the former, I have seen many a time when he's been in a position to cross and our own players just haven't been in the box or even in a good position and he's had to cut back again. I would suggest that with players like those at Man City he wouldn't be in that position and Guadiola recognises that. Him and Klopp are not stupid!

You're right, without him and Maguire we wouldn't actually fall apart, but what would we be aiming for,  what would be the point? Sooner rather than later it would surely catch up with us. There's potentially massive attacking flair with Chilwell on the left and Ricardo on the right, it's taken years to get that why break it up, why not build on it,  consolidate and improve in other areas like with Tielemans etc? To break something potentially quite special up now would be nonsensical to put it mildly. To sell and buy people like Tierney (he's good), would just mean constantly rebuilding without an end goal. 

Point taken I do hope we get tielemans on the perm and add a couple more quality players into the side for next season, fingers crossed it all comes together 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2019 at 18:39, mad biker said:

Chilwell is every bit as good, if not better than Robertson, you are falling into the "big club" better players bull shine, Maguire IS better than Van Dick, Riccardo IS better than AA and Chillwell IS better than Robertson !!  .......... IMO  :-)

I'd agree on Ricardo over TAA, Robertson and Chilwell would be close but VVD is the best CB in the world right now and Maguire isn't close to that, he's probably not the best at Leicester

• Like 4

On 04/04/2019 at 13:19, Clarkey123 said:

Don't think that's entirely slim at all, Chilwell being a few years younger than Robertson and not a million miles away in terms of quality and performance.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2019 at 18:39, mad biker said:

Lay off the beer mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Guest Cujek
On 04/04/2019 at 18:41, volpeazzurro said:

There will always be a bigger club with more money.

Just the same as we can pick off smaller clubs (Celtic :ph34r: etc), bigger clubs can and will pick off us.

All that matters is money.

1 minute ago, SportsNut1908 said:

Told Rodgers he’d be interested in a move if a top side came in (at an initial 1 on 1 meeting). No idea if anyone will match our valuation. ??‍♂️ 

Were you in the meeting?

• Haha 3

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

Were you in the meeting?

Obviously I’m just a bloke on a message board. However the guy who told me should know if anyone does. As always take it for what it’s worth. Rodgers asked all the lads their situation at the club (what were their plans), were they married etc, did they like a drink. Usual stuff. I actually like that Ben said he’s ambitious. Better than having a snake who jumps ship after proclaiming loyalty to the manager and club. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SportsNut1908 said:

Obviously I’m just a bloke on a message board. However the guy who told me should know if anyone does. As always take it for what it’s worth. Rodgers asked all the lads their situation at the club (what were their plans), were they married etc, did they like a drink. Usual stuff. I actually like that Ben said he’s ambitious. Better than having a snake who jumps ship after proclaiming loyalty to the manager and club. 

...then maybe you should adhere to the ongoing confidentiality agreement of meeting.

21 minutes ago, SportsNut1908 said:

Told Rodgers he’d be interested in a move if a top side came in (at an initial 1 on 1 meeting). No idea if anyone will match our valuation. ??‍♂️ 

I doubt many wouldn't be, least he's honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cujek said:

There will always be a bigger club with more money.

Just the same as we can pick off smaller clubs (Celtic :ph34r: etc), bigger clubs can and will pick off us.

All that matters is money.

The 'smiley' was for the Celtic comment ??

As for the other, yes, nobody is immune from it, as I said in another post,  Ronaldo and Coutinho are two good examples. However, if the club say no that's that. I think the Chilwell one is less likely than the Maguire one though and I just can't see them releasing both in the same sesdon. Chilwell would have to think seriously between just for next season whether moving to a bigger club where like Marhez, he won't necessarily be first choice, compared to us where he will and continue to get picked for England whilst improving under a new talented ambitious manager who I'm sure will bring him on. I don't think Top would be a pushover and would quite rightly demand an outragious fee, something Man City tend not to bow down to anymore regardless of their wealth. Chilwell is young and on a long contract with loads of improvement in him and left back of his type are far rarer than someone like Maguire. The latter is not an absolutely top notch player and is what he is but still can't see him being released for less than 50m. Chilwell for me would be 60+? Then there's the damage to our club this year, not in terms of replacements but the message it sends to the likes of Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes, Ndidi and any other young player who would see a precedent set and would quite rightly expect a move on a whim. Wr could go down the pan very quickly. Supporters would likewise soon get disgruntled also. No good having a ground extension if you can't fill it. Interesting times. 

Guest Cujek
Just now, volpeazzurro said:

The 'smiley' was for the Celtic comment ??

As for the other, yes, nobody is immune from it, as I said in another post,  Ronaldo and Coutinho are two good examples. However, if the club say no that's that. I think the Chilwell one is less likely than the Maguire one though and I just can't see them releasing both in the same sesdon. Chilwell would have to think seriously between just for next season whether moving to a bigger club where like Marhez, he won't necessarily be first choice, compared to us where he will and continue to get picked for England whilst improving under a new talented ambitious manager who I'm sure will bring him on. I don't think Top would be a pushover and would quite rightly demand an outragious fee, something Man City tend not to bow down to anymore regardless of their wealth. Chilwell is young and on a long contract with loads of improvement in him and left back of his type are far rarer than someone like Maguire. The latter is not an absolutely top notch player and is what he is but still can't see him being released for less than 50m. Chilwell for me would be 60+? Then there's the damage to our club this year, not in terms of replacements but the message it sends to the likes of Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes, Ndidi and any other young player who would see a precedent set and would quite rightly expect a move on a whim. Wr could go down the pan very quickly. Supporters would likewise soon get disgruntled also. No good having a ground extension if you can't fill it. Interesting times. 

I gathered that :)

I don't think we will sell both in the same window.

We proved we can play hardball when Man city came knocking for Mahrez, i don't doubt we can do it again.

I would be sadder to see Chilwell leave than Maguire.

Maguire has had a fairly poor season and seems to be a bit injury prone (just my opinion), we have Caglar and Benkovic for the future and Evans and Morgan are both very capable defenders in their own way.

Chilwell on the other hand would be more difficult to replace and he will only get better imo, if we can hang on to him for another 2 seasons, we could have a very special player on our hands.

4 hours ago, Cujek said:

I gathered that :)

I don't think we will sell both in the same window.

We proved we can play hardball when Man city came knocking for Mahrez, i don't doubt we can do it again.

I would be sadder to see Chilwell leave than Maguire.

Maguire has had a fairly poor season and seems to be a bit injury prone (just my opinion), we have Caglar and Benkovic for the future and Evans and Morgan are both very capable defenders in their own way.

Chilwell on the other hand would be more difficult to replace and he will only get better imo, if we can hang on to him for another 2 seasons, we could have a very special player on our hands.

Absolutely agree.