Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cincinnati Fox

Time for Puel to go

2 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

442 works well for us plus it's the only formation our strikers can play effectively. So playing a formations without the correct players when had multiple transfer windows to get it right is just poor management

But we were getting killed playing 442 under Ranners and Shakespeare.  We looked so much worse than we do now over long periods

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

It's not that no other manager is capable of doing it, it's whether we trust the board to get it right and bring them in. While they've done a lot of good, I still have reservations on their managerial appointment method - if we include Sousa then it's just big name as a player (Sousa), out of work big name (Sven), former manager (Pearson), guy who applied with a long reputation (Ranieri), assistant manager (Shakespeare), guy who applied who was already around the division (Puel). To me it seems like they're not actively looking at alternatives and prepared to headhunt but relying on a good candidate applying. But, the applicants will be the same old chaff - Hughes, Pardew, Moyes etc. People on here mention left field choices that could potentially be very good: Gallardo, Nagelsmann, Jardim - but they're left field because the only way they'll happen is if they apply for the job and really impress at interview

Yeah it terrifies me frankly. I don't necessarily disagree on that point to be honest. It's literally the only reason I find myself wanting to keep him. 

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

What style are we good enough to play?

The Claudionacchio or the variation of that Italian defensive style catennacio (the chain) that would free Maguire as a libero spare man. I think the side who we could try to emulate would be Atletico Madrid. 

6 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

442 works well for us plus it's the only formation our strikers can play effectively. So playing a formations without the correct players when had multiple transfer windows to get it right is just poor management

Without Kante it is a non starter for me

3 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

But we were getting killed playing 442 under Ranners and Shakespeare.  We looked so much worse than we do now over long periods

I know what your saying and yes at time we did get outplayed but we have also played our most effective football to get results that way.

1 think I will say is we are leaking a lot less goals but we just can't score.

Vardy has never been able to play as a lone striker and it's proving ihanacho also cannot.

So what I'm saying is Puel should of realised this in the summer and bought players that would suit his style of play to be that effective team both defensive and attacking.

Look if Puel does not get sacked I will still get behind him but he's going to have buy some players that suit him.

Preferable strikers that know where the back of the net is.

Just now, Fox85 said:

I know what your saying and yes at time we did get outplayed but we have also played our most effective football to get results that way.

1 think I will say is we are leaking a lot less goals but we just can't score.

Vardy has never been able to play as a lone striker and it's proving ihanacho also cannot.

So what I'm saying is Puel should of realised this in the summer and bought players that would suit his style of play to be that effective team both defensive and attacking.

Look if Puel does not get sacked I will still get behind him but he's going to have buy some players that suit him.

Preferable strikers that know where the back of the net is.

I dont think you're wrong here, and Puel knows it too

Its just that we have too many players on big wages who cost a lot who dont play, need to move on before we buy more.  I expect that Puel is itching for another summer transfer window and we will see a striker come in

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Didn`t we have a certain Algerian difference maker at this point?

Yes this is what I'm saying all these players we had that made the difference. We could of bought players to replace but we settled for gazelle.

Again poor management 

1 minute ago, Fox85 said:

Hahaha yes tushay on that one.

However we had a much weaker and less talented team aswel.

Weren't that bad. Pretty much the same spine. 

Kasper

Morgan

HUUUUUTHHH

Simpson.

Marky Sharky.

Vardz,

Etc. 

Only like Schlupp and people that we less talented.

Just now, Fox85 said:

Yes this is what I'm saying all these players we had that made the difference. We could of bought players to replace but we settled for gazelle.

Again poor management 

Jury is still out on Gazelle. He's Marmite. I don't mind him personally

Just now, Fox85 said:

Again poor management 

Sounds simple :)

Everyone knew it was impossible to replace Mahrez, so a different direction was required

12 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I dont think you're wrong here, and Puel knows it too

Its just that we have too many players on big wages who cost a lot who dont play, need to move on before we buy more.  I expect that Puel is itching for another summer transfer window and we will see a striker come in

He really is shackled by failures in previous windows. Hopefully we can push a few more out in January.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I think people like the idea of what Puel represents so much that they've lost sight of the fact there are other managers out there who could do it. 

People forgive his flaws because he's building something, because he needs time, because he's picking young players, because he's trying to change the style, because we want stability, because we're fed up of sacking managers. 

All of that is fair. As I just said in the post match thread, I'm perfectly happy to give a manager time to build, I can tolerate disappointing results, mid table finishes, players making mistakes while they adapt to change. We lose a game because Simpson or Soyuncu give away a goal trying to play passing football? No worries, it's a learning curve. 

Short term pain for long term game? I'm willing. 

But I'm not so willing that I can't see the warning signs of just simply a bad manager. I'm not angry because we lost games to mistakes, young players messing up or the squad not being deep enough. I'm angry because we're losing games to catastrophically bad tactical decisions. 

I'm not angry because he's trying to take away our counter attacking style, I'm angry because he's trying to replace it with nothing. We don't play nice passing football, we're not even slowly developing in to it, we play conservative, "safe" football without committing anything forward. It's not a possession game, it's a defensive game. He's Mourinho Jnr. 

He doesn't learn from his mistakes, he's offering no consistency in selection, he changes things every game, the players don't look bothered to be playing for him. But most importantly of all, it's been a year and we're no better at all. 

Do we really think that no other manager in the world can play passing football and play young players? Are we that unimaginative? 

I hope not. 

I agree with most of that but actual think the squad was in worse shape when he arrived than most people are willing to admit, we had a overpaid, ageing squad, with a lack of quality, that was largely overlooked because of the brilliance of Vardy and Mahrez. 

I believe hes brief has been to low the wage bill and rebuild the squad with youth whilst changing the style of play, not the an easy task. We were leaking far to many goals, he seem to have addressed that we have the sixth best defense in the league at present. Our summer recruitment address a number of areas of weakness, lack of a number 10, modern RB and an aging group of CB's, quality back-up keeper, all with a view to long term development. We have also started seeing the clear out of deadwood, with the like of Ulloa and Musa, being moved on, which will continue in the summer as players contract expire. 

It clear that we lack a creative ball playing midfielder and wide players, clearly he wasn't give enough funds to complete the squad rebuild last summer, if he had an Anderson and a Neves at his disposal and we still played the same, I have a massive issues with it but we simple don't have those type of players.

I not sure he's the right man, but the idea is right, it was never going to be a quick fix.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2