Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cincinnati Fox

Time for Puel to go

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

when you change a formation/ tactic and someone’s role in the team it shakes their confidence and thought process, he was certainly no world beater with regards to passing but i would definitely say it’s gotten worse, if that was at all possible. he’s not making the same commanding runs either, doesn’t look as committed in the tackle either. he’s going backwards.

He's being asked to be play maker and the one of the two that makes things happen. Quite frankly I think I'd rather it was Mendy tasked with that, and he's not much better at it.

Lose away to Newport for all the nation to see in the FA Cup on January 6th then rather like what happened to Mark Hughes last season at Stoke following their FA Cup humbling in R3 at Cov., then I think Puel will have his P45 handed to him then. I think it also largely depends on the January t/window - plus Top and others when balancing out the fact that they probably hold Puel in high regard now after the dignified way in which he (and the team) conducted themselves after the Vichai tragedy - even though you'd like to think any manager would have done the same in such circumstances.

As others have also mentioned, the players either don't want to play for him anymore or they are simply not playing to their strengths under Puel, even though Vardy could have snatched a late equaliser at Palace, which would probably have resulted in this entire 'Puel out' topic not appearing again until maybe a later date. Considering how ruthless they were with the likes of Sven and later on Pearson after the Great Escape (although I appreciate that wasn't really football related), then I'm surprised Puel is still in charge and again, I don't shy away from the fact when I say the tragedy probably saved Puel his job, perversely. 

• Like 1

This is the most boring season we've had in a decade. Boring tactics, boring league position, boring games, boring players, boring targets. It can be debated whether boring is a good or a bad thing. Boring may see us stay in the PL for a long time, if that's good then I guess boring is good. But, 3pm on a Saturday is fast becoming a good time to catch up on kip and above all else, that stinks. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? No. I'm not. Not for quite a while now. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Guest said:

Pin the blame on whoever you like but the reality is it's a largely average squad under the leadership of an average manager. Put the two together and it's not really surprising that the results and performances are less than inspiring. People expecting someone like Jardim to come in and turn us into top six challengers are going to be disappointed, as are those hoping that another transfer window or two are going to allow Puel's grand vision to be realised.

Barring an absolute disaster I still see him departing amicably at the end of the season and no sooner. I've never really come down on either side of the fence but there is a part of me that thinks it's probably best for everyone if he's dispensed with sooner rather than later. I still love the idea of him eventually turning us into some mesmerising tiki-taka machine but the signs of progress are becoming fainter and less frequent. 

Good post that 

;)

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Guest said:

Pin the blame on whoever you like but the reality is it's a largely average squad under the leadership of an average manager. Put the two together and it's not really surprising that the results and performances are less than inspiring. People expecting someone like Jardim to come in and turn us into top six challengers are going to be disappointed, as are those hoping that another transfer window or two are going to allow Puel's grand vision to be realised.

Barring an absolute disaster I still see him departing amicably at the end of the season and no sooner. I've never really come down on either side of the fence but there is a part of me that thinks it's probably best for everyone if he's dispensed with sooner rather than later. I still love the idea of him eventually turning us into some mesmerising tiki-taka machine but the signs of progress are becoming fainter and less frequent. 

some managers bring their own staff with them and seem to have a better eye for players than others. that’s the sort of thing that can make the difference..

Edited by MPH

3 hours ago, Guy said:

Lose away to Newport for all the nation to see in the FA Cup on January 6th then rather like what happened to Mark Hughes last season at Stoke following their FA Cup humbling in R3 at Cov., then I think Puel will have his P45 handed to him then. I think it also largely depends on the January t/window - plus Top and others when balancing out the fact that they probably hold Puel in high regard now after the dignified way in which he (and the team) conducted themselves after the Vichai tragedy - even though you'd like to think any manager would have done the same in such circumstances.

As others have also mentioned, the players either don't want to play for him anymore or they are simply not playing to their strengths under Puel, even though Vardy could have snatched a late equaliser at Palace, which would probably have resulted in this entire 'Puel out' topic not appearing again until maybe a later date. Considering how ruthless they were with the likes of Sven and later on Pearson after the Great Escape (although I appreciate that wasn't really football related), then I'm surprised Puel is still in charge and again, I don't shy away from the fact when I say the tragedy probably saved Puel his job, perversely. 

All things considered, including recent events, unless we're at the point of relegation, I don't see Puel going anywhere at least until the summer and doubtful even then. Whether we like him or the stats or the style, the cold facts are we're 12 points off relegation and 4 off 6th place! Even if we lose our next 4 games, do you see the bottom 3 winning 4 on the trot? I suggest outside the top 5, with the exception of perhaps Wolves, there are many supporters having a whine. Even forgetting Puel, this squad is not worthy or good enough for 7th or above.

3 hours ago, Guy said:

Sven lost 3-0 at home to Millwall, we were 13th in the division with a budget that should have had us top. It's not really comparable to Puel being 4 points off 6th, in a pack if teams who one minute pick up points, the next minute lost 5 on the trot.

The owners don't just look at performances or results. If they did Pearson would have been sacked on about 12 different occasions. If they believe in what the manager is trying to do, if they think he's got the right ideas and has a good long term plan, then they will give them time. One year and 6 weeks isn't that. 

For all our faults and his, I still believe in the plan. If I didn't, then my attitude would probably be somewhat different and I'd not be quite as forgiving or patient. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MPH said:

some managers bring their own staff with them and seem to have a better eye for players than others. that’s the sort of thing that can make the difference..

It can, but those managers aren't ones that we're realistically going to bring in. Names like Klopp, Nagelsmann and Jardim are always thrown around but aren't going to come. We could theoretically think outside the box a little and go for a Gallardo type but a) there is a degree of risk involved and b) we've never shown an inclination to do so.

20 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

All things considered, including recent events, unless we're at the point of relegation, I don't see Puel going anywhere at least until the summer and doubtful even then. Whether we like him or the stats or the style, the cold facts are we're 12 points off relegation and 4 off 6th place! Even if we lose our next 4 games, do you see the bottom 3 winning 4 on the trot? I suggest outside the top 5, with the exception of perhaps Wolves, there are many supporters having a whine. Even forgetting Puel, this squad is not worthy or good enough for 7th or above.

Maguire stated at the start of the season that 7th place was the target.

I remember at the time thinking what a negative statement that was … 1st place is the target .. we've done it before.

Negative manager and negative players..... Puel has brain washed even people like Harry that this is your limit.

1 minute ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Maguire stated at the start of the season that 7th place was the target.

I remember at the time thinking what a negative statement that was … 1st place is the target .. we've done it before.

Negative manager and negative players..... Puel has brain washed even people like Harry that this is your limit.

I'm sorry, but..... lol lol lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Yeah I know … believe that crap you'll believe anything...… but

Ranieri said we needed one more point than the season before, we went on to win the league. There isn't a manager in the world who'll come to Leicester and say the aim is to finish first. They'd be laughed at and derided, quite rightly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm not sure if my post and Geoff Peters/UpTheLeagueFox's tweet quoting the Southampton fan's blog yesterday was overlooked by alot of people or people simply didn't find it interesting.

I'm not trying to make something of it, if people don't think it's interesting or something to be discussed or worried about fair enough but I expected more discussion and debate to be made of it.

The similarities are frightening, it's almost a carbon copy.

https://leagueoneminus10.blogspot.com/2017/05/claude-puel-should-he-stay-or-should-he.html

The take-away for me ......

"There was barely a plan A in most of the games aside from play deep, pass it around sideways and backwards work it out to the wings and then cross it. The trouble was that there was only ever one player in the box with three cautious midfielders not getting in to help." 

So we are seeing his style executed perfectly! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Think by the time New Year comes in we'll be a couple of wins off the bottom 3 ,West Ham ,Newcasle have picked up wins and it only needs the new manager bounce at Southampton to start putting  the pressure on .We've  just blown our chance for a good points haul where as other teams are starting their easier games.Got no faith in the manager to galvanize us  into a hard to beat team ,he is going to drag us down ,I hope I'm wrong but if I was looking in from the outside I'd  say we're in for a bit of a struggle. 

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

When was the last time they talked about challenging for Europe of late. The programme in the summer stated "Our primary ambition is a long-term one – to make Leicester City a sustainable and consistently competitive force in the Premier League,”. The end of season programme said pretty much the same thing.

People need to get their heads around the fact consistently challenging for Europe will not happen without further significant investment. Selling for best player for £60m and replacing him for £10m, is not the sort of investment that gets results quickly most of the time.

The only way we can do it is slow growth of the whole club, which seems to be the clear aim.

I actually agree with this,and i Must give you Credit for always coming up with really good counter arguments( bloody annoying as it is) but how slow is this growth going to be? Yes we are better than the previous 1.5 seasons Pre Puel , but the football is terrible and we haven’t improved anymore over the time he’s been here,my main gripe is the lack of chances created under Puel and the crosses going into a midget sole striker, I really don’t see it clicking under Puel no matter how long he’s given or how much he has to spend! 

Edited by elvisfmcfly
Reworded to make it harder for Babylon to pick holes in my argument
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Believe me if a manager comes in and has us breaking in to the top 6 he will be poached by another club before you know it lol 

No one tried to poach Ranieri and he won us the league.

35 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

Watched him tonight on sky in his pre Man City talk, could not string two words together, how on earth do the players understand him is beyond me.

I can't honestly say I have any problem understanding him whatsoever, his English is fine. I would bet it's even better when he's on the training ground and not being guarded what he says to the media.

41 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

Watched him tonight on sky in his pre Man City talk, could not string two words together, how on earth do the players understand him is beyond me.

Sorry, I just can't believe this. I've had zero problems understanding him. He might be monotone and long winded, but his English is clear enough.