Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cincinnati Fox

Time for Puel to go

I have come to the conclusion that alot of the players are now playing worse from when Puel took over, Niddi is prime example, Gray, Vardy even Marguire and Maddison alarmingly doesn't look as confident. If the fans have lost confidence in Puel maybe the players have to, watching Puel on the touchline it sometimes seems like a man out there on his own in a void. There seems no passion to the side and slowly the season seems to be fizzling out or maybe it just never got going? 

Edited by southfox66
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hammo said:

I sense from reading through posts on this thread and others that the 'Puel in' and 'Puel out' factions are becoming increasingly entrenched in their viewpoint.

What I'd really like to know is what would need to happen for fans from either faction to 'turn' - i.e. The Puel ins to change their minds and want him to go, the Puel outs to suddenly want him to stay.

At this stage, just an extended period of football that didn't have me bored to death. By extended I mean more than the 15 minutes we managed at Brighton because Vardy took the bull by horns. And preferably not when we're already losing well into second half and get desperate. As long as we're not in a relegation fight, I really am not arsed where we finish in the league as long as watching the games is at least enjoyable half of the time

Just now, The Doctor said:

Hopefully. I think the big arguement for this is we spent the summer linked to Anderson, Shaqiri, Roberts, Thorgan Hazard etc and Ghezzal turned up out of the blue 4 days before the end of the window. That screams last resort stop gap after your main targets haven't come off

Who were we actually linked with, though?

Fans wanted Hazard, but I'm not sure he would ever have considered us. Shaqiri, who knows, probably high wage demands? Anderson was being peddled to us/Everton/West Ham (along with EVERY rumour), so that may have been completely fictional and breaking our transfer record for him probably would have put us off anyway.

The only one there who I think (purely speculation) we were actually in talks with was Roberts, but that's been a long-running rumour and our relationship with Man City isn't the best.

The one other player we were heavily linked with was Jahanbakhsh, who's probably similar level to Ghezzal and currently isn't getting much gametime at Brighton.

4 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

I have come to the conclusion that alot of the players are now playing worse from when Puel took over, Niddi is prime example, Gray, Vardy even Marguire and Maddison alarmingly doesn't look as confident. If the fans have lost confidence in Puel maybe the players have to, watching Puel on the touchline it sometimes seems like a man out there on his own in a void. There seems no passion to the side and slowly the season seems to be fizzling out or maybe it just never got going? 

Gray is playing with more commitment and maturity than we've seen before. Vardy seems to have upped his all round game. Maguire has been called up to the England side and is a key player. Ndidi hasn't really altered in my opinion.

Maddison played in the championship last year, and you can't compare the two leagues. 

30 minutes ago, Hammo said:

I sense from reading through posts on this thread and others that the 'Puel in' and 'Puel out' factions are becoming increasingly entrenched in their viewpoint.

What I'd really like to know is what would need to happen for fans from either faction to 'turn' - i.e. The Puel ins to change their minds and want him to go, the Puel outs to suddenly want him to stay.

Spot on - entrenched is right (Maybe even an understatement!)

Personally I am 40& out/60% in on Puel, just feel the job in hand is pretty huge, so in that sense would like to gtve him this season, but...

...if there is any truth in the reports of dissent in the camp, then he goes and gets replaced by a respected no prisoners manager to strip away the bad karma in the camp

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

He has HIS way. He refuses to budge on that.

He could be getting more out of these players by tweaking his 'masterplan'.

Too stubborn for me.

All of our recent managers have been called stubborn. Maybe it goes beyond the individual in charge?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hammo said:

We'd have to be seriously in the mire and fighting relegation for me to want him to go just yet. I see no other managerial messiah on the horizon busting a gut to come here and to demand change without a serious backup alternative would be stupid and suicidal. People can speculate, but usually in real terms, they know bugger all about the next exotic named manager they've read about on Wikipedia stats that suddenly they feel  qualified to assert that they are an ideal match for Leicester City. We've  got some poor overated mismatching  players in our squad and our position in the table is indicative of the team we have,  mediocre at the moment at best, yet still some people think we should be getting into the top 6, absolutely commical. Patience is a virtue and some people can't see any further than the end of there noses or the next couple of games. It's been crying out for root and branch change for a long time now and that's what's happening. Pretty and entertaining at the moment it's not and nor could it be in the circumstances. Get rid of this bloke and common sense dictates that the next one will need to evaluate for yet another 18 months (or throw another few guess work millions about) and there'll then be cries from the same 'experts' that that new bloke is getting it wrong as well! When we've got rid of the deadwood, let our kids gain a bit of experience together with a few well chosen (hopefully) signings then and only then will we see improvement. My guess controversially is that won't even be after this summer's transfer window. If done properly however and not in a spoilt kid bull in a China shop I want it now way, it could could set us up for many years to come.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xen said:

Who were we actually linked with, though?

Fans wanted Hazard, but I'm not sure he would ever have considered us. Shaqiri, who knows, probably high wage demands? Anderson was being peddled to us/Everton/West Ham (along with EVERY rumour), so that may have been completely fictional and breaking our transfer record for him probably would have put us off anyway.

The only one there who I think (purely speculation) we were actually in talks with was Roberts, but that's been a long-running rumour and our relationship with Man City isn't the best.

The one other player we were heavily linked with was Jahanbakhsh, who's probably similar level to Ghezzal and currently isn't getting much gametime at Brighton.

We were linked with all of them, whether we were actually in for them or made any progress beyond an enquiry and being told no is a different question.

55 minutes ago, drofmor55 said:

Up till now found him to be too sterile both in his team tactics and interviews but last night his reaction when Albrighton scored showed a different side to him ...now i'm slowly coming around to him ! .Also thought Guardiola looked quite impressed with our performance last night. With  Hamza,Ndidi,Chilwell still very young and with Benkovic and Barnes to come back i can see us having a very  good side in a season or two. It was always going to be tough transition from the team that won the title but i think with the likes of Morgan,Vardy,Kasper and Albrighton playing their part we are slowly getting there. Ok performances these last few games have been hard to watch but i think we are still going to comfortably finish top 10 this season.

Good point. That celebration helped show that he can be passionate.

I'm generally an optimistic person, so I look out for any positive signs in situations like these. I'm still on the fence about Puel. I can see good arguments for keeping him and also for replacing him. Lately, I think the arguments for the latter were building up, so just seeing that a goal meant a lot to the man was nice to see.

I'd like a bit of stability. I'd like to believe that Puel is gradually turning us into an established, top half PL team that produces its own young players. It's been a bit harder to see that happening lately.

I think the result from the Cardiff match coming up might sway a lot of people's opinions one way or the other.

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I think people like the idea of what Puel represents so much that they've lost sight of the fact there are other managers out there who could do it. 

People forgive his flaws because he's building something, because he needs time, because he's picking young players, because he's trying to change the style, because we want stability, because we're fed up of sacking managers.  

All of that is fair. As I just said in the post match thread, I'm perfectly happy to give a manager time to build, I can tolerate disappointing results, mid table finishes, players making mistakes while they adapt to change. We lose a game because Simpson or Soyuncu give away a goal trying to play passing football? No worries, it's a learning curve.  

Short term pain for long term game? I'm willing.  

But I'm not so willing that I can't see the warning signs of just simply a bad manager. I'm not angry because we lost games to mistakes, young players messing up or the squad not being deep enough. I'm angry because we're losing games to catastrophically bad tactical decisions.  

I'm not angry because he's trying to take away our counter attacking style, I'm angry because he's trying to replace it with nothing. We don't play nice passing football, we're not even slowly developing in to it, we play conservative, "safe" football without committing anything forward. It's not a possession game, it's a defensive game. He's Mourinho Jnr.  

He doesn't learn from his mistakes, he's offering no consistency in selection, he changes things every game, the players don't look bothered to be playing for him. But most importantly of all, it's been a year and we're no better at all.  

Do we really think that no other manager in the world can play passing football and play young players? Are we that unimaginative?  

I hope not. 

This is probably the best post I've seen regarding Puel.

For me, his time is up. If we give him another £50 million in January then God help us.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

For me, his time is up. If we give him another £50 million in January then God help us.

Even if we got a new manager I don't think he'd be able to buy in January. FFP means will have to sell the deadwood in January to buy new players 

50 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Would you explain to me what is wrong with the signings of Ward, Ricardo, Söyüncü, Bencovic and Maddison?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Not a lot individually, but when you see the way the whole team is playing, why give him more money to invest in players the next manager probably won't want.

If he had money to spend it would probably lead to us playing better as a team.

The reason I worry about getting a new manager is that they may want to offload the players I've mentioned.

At best they will take time to assess and will probably need two years to get the team they want.

They won't be given two years by many on here.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

If he had money to spend it would probably lead to us playing better as a team.

The reason I worry about getting a new manager is that they may want to offload the players I've mentioned.

At best they will take time to assess and will probably need two years to get the team they want.

They won't be given two years by many on here.

Then they would probably spend money on the new signs over a couple of Windows and allow players time to get use to the new style so the football wouldn't look good apart from in parts. Then look at good players on loan and decide they need match time instead of being called back. By this time fans will want him gone before the jobs finished. Weird how history has a tendency to repeat itself

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Attywolf said:

Then they would probably spend money on the new signs over a couple of Windows and allow players time to get use to the new style so the football wouldn't look good apart from in parts. Then look at good players on loan and decide they need match time instead of being called back. By this time fans will want him gone before the jobs finished. Weird how history has a tendency to repeat itself

And so on until relegation

56 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Not a lot individually, but when you see the way the whole team is playing, why give him more money to invest in players the next manager probably won't want.

It's hardly Puels fault he's been left with a bunch of ill bought,  mismatched bunch of mediocre dunderheads that have got to be sold. The above names are decent additions ,  young and promising individuals. Let the hatchet continue to chop a bit more deadwood out and see how we replace them. Puel can't polish a turd, he's just trying to buy time by sprinkling a bit of glitter on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Good point. That celebration helped show that he can be passionate.

I'm generally an optimistic person, so I look out for any positive signs in situations like these. I'm still on the fence about Puel. I can see good arguments for keeping him and also for replacing him. Lately, I think the arguments for the latter were building up, so just seeing that a goal meant a lot to the man was nice to see.

I'd like a bit of stability. I'd like to believe that Puel is gradually turning us into an established, top half PL team that produces its own young players. It's been a bit harder to see that happening lately.

I think the result from the Cardiff match coming up might sway a lot of people's opinions one way or the other.

Your right there , but there are no easy games in this league especially against teams that are fighting near the bottom.

and as i think Martin O'Neil once said "some of our fans  may find this hard to believe but some teams have the audacity to play against us and try to take the points away themselves"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Shaqiri wouldn't move here when there were rumours of Liverpool.

We tried for long periods for Roberts, something wasnt quite right about that.

And Zyech was never rumoured, may be reasons for that.

It isn't simple to replace one of the best RW around currently, we don't have mounds of cash lying around due to the amount of "dead wood" we have. We can't just stump huge money onto a player in the hope it works.

I entirely agreed with your post until that bit Uni. That's the bit we've proved to be pretty good at lol