Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He inherited Slimani, Musa, Okazaki, Iheanacho, Ulloa.... realistically none of which are the quality of backup we actually require. He could have kept some of the others, but they are still likely to have not been good enough. About £90m worth of players, that nobody considers good enough any more.

It's not easy to vanish all of these players in effectively one transfer window, whilst strengthening other areas that we were desperate for, and buying a top quality striker. He's got a budget to stick to, it's not fantasy football. He'll be absolutely desperate to dump about a dozen of our squad, but it's a long process.

Amazing how little stick the DoF gets nowadays.

To be fair though Puel had a chance to sort out the striker situation in the summer and declined, the majority of attacking players we've signed under him bar Maddison (who has dipped massively) have been poor, but thats basically been the case since we've been in the PL.

Name a good winger / striker that we have signed since we've been in the premier league?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Excellent post.

There is no question in my mind the team we put out yesterday were more than good enough to win that game.

It wasn't Puel's fault that Morgan, our captain and P/L/ winner, was out positioned and out jumped by a 4th division striker, or that Albrighton had a brain fart, or we missed at least 10 good chances.

As I said before, it is Puel's fault that we haven't got any decent back up strikers, as it's obvious to us all the Okazaki is long past it and Nacho is just nowhere near good enough and should be sold ASAP.

That said, I still think Puel is over achieving with this squad.

In fairness iheanacho did well in preseason so you can probably forgive puel for believing in a youngster again rather than buying in expensive strikers.

8 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Puel doesn't sort the transfers himself. Maybe we were in for someone and it wasn't done? Remember we had a short transfer window and world cup.

Ulloa and Slimani went around the same time, around the time the window closed and we were left short. Both probably not part of his plans but would have featured at some point like Simpson has.

Well we shouldn't have let players go without an adequate replacement lined up, thought the club would  have learnt that from  the Silva fiasco.

Edited by Foxes1

50 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

That article does highlight just how pampered prem players actually are. Newport played the same amount of games over Christmas and they didn't rest players, they also have to play on a rugby pitch with far less protection from the refs. And from what i saw, they looked just as fit as we did. Does make you wonder if mid-table prem players really worth the price and wages they're on.

55 minutes ago, PoshhFox said:

I like how he says it was the magic of the cup ‘that happened’

sound excuse if you ever get beat by lower opposition 

Plus he is hoping to receive a sentimental contract extension from the man he is publicly backing.........................

I think we have more chance of finishing 7th than we do winning the FA Cup, I think the owners priority is to get into the Europe.. so if that objective is made then he will probably get the time and won't be sacked before the seasons out that's for sure unless we go on a losing streak

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Amazing how little stick the DoF gets nowadays.

To be fair though Puel had a chance to sort out the striker situation in the summer and declined, the majority of attacking players we've signed under him bar Maddison (who has dipped massively) have been poor, but thats basically been the case since we've been in the PL.

Name a good winger / striker that we have signed since we've been in the premier league?

In terms of wide players - Albrighton, Gray, Ricardo to name three.

Ulloa had an incredible first season. 

Some players weren’t given the time to improve under previous managers - Kramaric is clearly a great player.  

Young players like Chilwell and Hamza are clearly improving under the current manager. 

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

I think we have more chance of finishing 7th than we do winning the FA Cup, I think the owners priority is to get into the Europe.. so if that objective is made then he will probably get the time and won't be sacked before the seasons out that's for sure unless we go on a losing streak

I am unsure of what point there is to finishing 7th if Puel fields a B team to go into the UEFA Cup like he did at Southampton.

If we are not bothered about domestic cups either then I'm not sure what I'm meant to do with all the passion, hope and love I have for LCFC.

Personally, I want to watch football and be inspired.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Interesting that Ghezzal said on LCFC after the match that the FA Cup was an objective for them. 

I genuinely don't get this notion that it has to be one or the other tbh. Somehow playing a few extra games is going to totally derail our league season :blink: 

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Interesting that Ghezzal said on LCFC after the match that the FA Cup was an objective for them. 

I genuinely don't get this notion that it has to be one or the other tbh. Somehow playing a few extra games is going to totally derail our league season :blink: 

I don't understand some of his decisions either so I know what your saying

The reason for the split in the Puel debate seems to be based on how people rate the current squad and how much they appreciate the difficulty of the current job.

There's people who think we have a squad capable of reaching the top 6 by playing scintillating football.

People that think it's Puel's fault the squad is incredibly weak - another manager would have removed all of the surplus players and put together a well balance squad in 12 months (essentially one proper transfer window).

People that think that the squad is weak and think it will take a year or two to shed the dead wood and bring in new talent.

I fall into the latter category, which is why I'm willing to look past the football and the results (as long as we're not in any danger). I expect an improvement to the squad in the summer and then hopefully we start seeing signs of progression on the pitch. Then assuming we're looking competitive in the league and doing well in the cups (draw permitting) - you'd like to see us build on that the summer after.

It's going to be a slow progression and we need to stick to the plan in my opinion.

If anyone can give some good suggestions of how they'd do things differently and how they'd stabalise the club as we replace the majority of the playing staff, I'd love to hear them.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I am unsure of what point there is to finishing 7th if Puel fields a B team to go into the UEFA Cup like he did at Southampton.

If we are not bothered about domestic cups either then I'm not sure what I'm meant to do with all the passion, hope and love I have for LCFC.

Personally, I want to watch football and be inspired.

I think he thought he would win the game last night and tried to rest players/rotate etc. but its backfired... maybe next time he wont be so cautious or we will have better backups

However starting James was asking for trouble

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

A massive team such as Chelsea or Man City who we beat a matter of days ago in a competition they are taking more seriously? 

What miserable Christmas presents you must have had to have such low expectations for us! lol

We did yes, and that's once in a blue moon stuff, you're also highly likely to face at least two of those teams on the way to a cup win.

We've won three cups in 135 years for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We did yes, and that's once in a blue moon stuff, you're also highly likely to face at least two of those teams on the way to a cup win.

Tbf for most of those 135 years we've been legit bobbins. 

4 hours ago, Wortho said:

Do we really want to qualify for the Europa League? I'm not all that keen even if it does happen.

Do you want the former Premier League Champions to be satisfied with sitting 8th in the Premier League? Do you not want to the Champions League Music at the KP again?

We could reach the Semis of the Europa League Easily, Its full of crappy teams and the hardest it gets is facing Sevilla or someone

Edited by siraaj_lcfc

9 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Well we did ask wba not to play harvey barnes so he wouldn't be cup tied.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I don't care what we have been doing for the past 135 years in the FA Cup. All I know is that in the current moment, we have a starting 11 capable of beating these top teams and we just beat two in a week over christmas! 

We are very capable of winning the FA Cup and I just wish we would give it a proper go for once. Puel himself came within minutes of winning it with a depleted Southampton. Not sure why you see it as such an impossible task. Times change and Leicester are a top team with a quality 11 full of internationals. Have some faith man! 

Some / mostly excellent posts on here that have a fantastic take on the game and situation.

I appreciate the support for Puel, he seems like a nice inoffensive chap but it doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.

He doesn't need my misguided backing or sympathy.

He has surrounded himself with 'yes' men to massage his ego. I do spare a thought though for Shakey, only crime was to become out of his depth as manager, likewise Appleton for leaving a decent Oxford job.

Appleton will thank Oxford's players in person before heading to Leicester, where the job on offer was "too good to be true", he admitted.

"To go and work in the Premier league these days because of the number of foreign managers, a lot of English coaches don't get the opportunity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Apparently we are now and it's all luck that we're 7th.

There's different levels of bobbins though. 

As ****ing wank as Rachid Ghezzal is, he'd have looked like Ronaldinho in Ian Holloway's team. 

• Haha 2

Struggling with how we didn’t take yesterday seriously - at least in terms of the line up. Every single player on that pitch had premier league experience. 

Chilwell looked shattered against Everton. Vardy has had niggling injuries for ages. Ndidi has played every game this year. 

Against lesser sides all PL teams rotate and give some players a rest and others a start. No-one was moaning when we hammered Fleetwood. 

We had a ton of possession and missed a bucketload of chances. Agree some players have demonstrated that they have nothing to offer but I think others did ok yesterday. 

15 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

In terms of wide players - Albrighton, Gray, Ricardo to name three.

Ulloa had an incredible first season. 

Some players weren’t given the time to improve under previous managers - Kramaric is clearly a great player.  

Young players like Chilwell and Hamza are clearly improving under the current manager. 

Unfortunately Gray hasn't lived up to the 'hype' or his own hype. He's improving at a snails pace. Doesn't score enough or create enough.

Ricardo was actually signed as a right back, which makes our recruitment for attackers even more laughable. I do agree that he does a good job on the wing though.

Recruitment as a whole has been a shambles, particularly since we have won the league. Just look at all the money that we have literally wasted. (Benalouane, Kapustka, Musa, Slimani, Silva & Iheanacho) We can argue as to whether players have been given a chance of not but management clearly deemed them unsuitable for the team.

Young players deserve a chance to adapt to first team football. As you rightly pointed out, look at Chilwell and Hamza. Unfortunately 'big' budget signings don't always get that chance. We can't blame the players for the fees paid, which is why I put a big portion of the blame down to recruitment and not just the manager.