Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

I don't think its even about resting players. Its more about giving minutes and opportunities to squad players who don't get much football. Then its down to those players to see it as an opportunity to perform and maybe keep a place or to see it as punishment and play half-arsed.

Its a balance in the early rounds, problem we have is our squad player replacements for our best players are garbage. I understand Vardy being left out and he probably should've been on the bench to bring on if needed but we are clearly managing his groin and taking no risks.

• Like 2

Just now, Dames said:

Wouldn't it have been prudent to play them to put them in the shop window? Generate more interest?

If you want me to think out the box what I've just said makes more sense. Not playing someone incase they get injured by the way is a daft excuse before you come back with that. These guys get paid to play football and the chances of injury are very low. They could equally get injured in training which has a higher chance of happening because they train more than they play.

You have absolutely no idea how far along the deals are, clearly Iborra is already in Spain as reported sorting a deal.

Why on earth would you risk a deal already lined up to play him against a league one team. Where if you win, it's only what's expected anyway. You think scouts will be sat there going, "wow he looks good against league one opposition, he's what we need for our top level league".

The club will make the decision based on how likely or how good then think the deals being discussed are for us. If they think they are worth going with, then they aren't going to let them play.

If you want to argue about selection, then he should just have played one of Mendy or N'didi.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Certain managers rotate their team WAY more than others though, i'd love to see the injuries statistics for us vs Spurs for example. Poch makes changes, but never in the same manner that we do under Puel and certainly not when reaching the quarter finals of competitions. Harry Kane would never be left out of a quarter final, whether it be the League Cup or the Champions League where the difference in wealth from one round to another is off the scale. That team yesterday was vulgar, I know we were against League Two opposition and if you're ever going to rotate then do it in the early rounds against dross but it was a mis-matched line up you'd pick for a friendly when half of your squad aren't even back in training yet.

Harry Kane was left out of the quarter final for Spurs, he was on the bench. And he was rested against us to play against Barca. Now you can argue about Vardy being on the bench, that's fair enough. But lets not forget he's 32 and is going to need managing differently to lads in the early 20's.

8 minutes ago, Captain... said:

The problem is the FA Cup comes right after a busy festive period, made busier for us by having a League Cup quarter final at the start. There is no right way to manage the schedule, you need to rest players and keep them fresh but without significantly weakening the team. The problem is we have too many squad players that do not play except for the odd game, they have no chance to get any form or rhythm and are then suddenly expected to play. We also have a number of players that just do not fit Claude’s system (although some of them are playing every week).

Having said that that there were still very obvious mistakes in selection. I think it was a mistake to play James, perfect game to bring him on from the bench if we’re winning but you can’t start someone who has been out for that long and expect him to perform, same with bringing on King frozen out all season of course he will be rusty.

Nacho’s confidence must be shot Okazaki cannot be the link up number 10, why would you not play Gray, he has not played a huge amount over Christmas and always look up for it we effectively started with no real pace and Okazaki pulling the strings as a number 10. Why start with the most defensive full back in the league and then when things aren’t going well, why would you put Albrighton at full back? Especially with Ricardo on the bench.

It was just a mess all round.

More posts like this please... fair critique, but also understanding of some of the issues!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

mightyfin mentioned that we will bid on a forward this week

Mightyfin says a lot of things that aren’t true... 

wasn’t it him that said Macia had gone a long time ago? 

Edited by chapero82
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, FLAN said:

My only hope is this is true and they are letting this fool do some of the dirty work in weeding out the dross around the squad so the new guy has a cleaner slate. 

There cannot be anyone at the club pleased with the actual football even if the league position is probably better than expected.  Remember being in this position last season though and we just completely stagnated.  

I doubt they are like most of us aren't, but they will also be looking at the far bigger picture. I don't want to keep harping on about it, but it mirrors Pearson's return. Dross football and little progress for a year whilst he was doing all the dirty work. Getting rid of the crap, getting in young hungry players etc. You honestly could post threads from back then and they'd read EXACTLY like they are now.

The owners didn't listen to the fans moaning and wanting him out. They saw the bigger picture, the problems he faced and they backed his long term vision. They will know the truth about player unrest (again, we heard all this crap around Pearson because loads of billy big bollocks weren't playing and didn't like it), the financial issues, they'll know what his targets are and were etc. They'll know how much the stadium costs and training ground costs are going to pinch what we can spend etc etc.

I trust them completely to make the right decision based on all the facts. Rather than just sacking someone because everything isn't fixed in 6 months.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You have absolutely no idea how far along the deals are, clearly Iborra is already in Spain as reported sorting a deal.

Why on earth would you risk a deal already lined up to play him against a league one team. Where if you win, it's only what's expected anyway. You think scouts will be sat there going, "wow he looks good against league one opposition, he's what we need for our top level league".

The club will make the decision based on how likely or how good then think the deals being discussed are for us. If they think they are worth going with, then they aren't going to let them play.

If you want to argue about selection, then he should just have played one of Mendy or N'didi.

I see your point. It makes more sense given Iborras situation and that he has less resale value than Silva. There is also more information available about him leaving. However there isnt as much information around Silva and it appears we are leaving him to rot and letting his value fall as a consequence. Giving him a chance to get in the shop window surely would have been a better choice than Matty James?

Agree on the Mendy and N’didi but for arguments sake they probably are in need of a rest.

Either way, including Matty James was a terrible decision which is the original point. 

I've just seen something on Facebook asking for donations to fly a puel out banner across the stadium. I am absolutely disgusted to be part of the same team as this c**t!!!!:@

Seriously...why not tie the banner to the back of a helicopter and be done with it. Yes Puel made errors yesterday...the players were more to blame in my opinion...but that's just MY opinion....and that's all it is, an opinion. If we sack puel now, we'll still be left with a lot of the dross that's holding the team back and will have to wait on the next guy to try and make a silk purse out of a pigs ear, and then when He can't do it.... we'll be back to square one. We're a work in progress with a lot of young lads coming through, and if Top decides he has to go, then it's his say...nobody elses! At the end of the day, it was an FA cup giant killer same as plenty have faced before us and pleny more will in the future, but we do not need supporters like this following our club!. Put the wheels back on your car in the garden mate and ****-off to Man City where you'll get all the glory you crave!!

• Like 4

The only thing I was mad about was not having a striker on the bench. 

All the big big teams make sure to have their get out of jail card on the bench. But we decided we didn’t need it. That’s the arrogance that gets you knocked out 

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Harry Kane was left out of the quarter final for Spurs, he was on the bench. And he was rested against us to play against Barca. Now you can argue about Vardy being on the bench, that's fair enough. But lets not forget he's 32 and is going to need managing differently to lads in the early 20's.

Hahahahaaa fcuk sake, I've had a howler there without doing any research. I'll make an attempt to say that Spurs are in 4 competitions and have loads of talented players but it's weakened my argument. I still think his rotation policy has put him in a position where it's very easy for fans to pick fault when things go wrong. Ultimately, if the club are intent on winning things again and they accept that winning the league or a European Trophy are the most unlikeliest, then to win one of the domestic cups which is much more achieveable will require real desire and seriousness from everyone, or a huge slice of luck which seems to be what's favoured.

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

All the big big teams make sure to have their get out of jail card on the bench. But we decided we didn’t need it. That’s the arrogance that gets you knocked out 

Mentality. Kane was on the bench and came on when the game was all sewn up. That’s why spurs keep progressing.

1 minute ago, Lambert09 said:

Maybe Vardy is carrying an injury still though...we don't know do we? We definitely need someone to help him out that's for sure.

Guest MattP
15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The official story on Kane for the League Cup match is that he was unwell, whether people believe it though is upto them.

Edited by MattP

I don't think the Puel rotation was excessive. The back 4 should have been fine, but our Captain should not have been outjumped so easily.

Vardy absence was justified as we are nursing him at the moment. 

The problem was the Fro/James axis was limited to say the least - James was chuntering 15mins in. We also have one woefully out of form striker and one who is effectively semi-retired. How have we left ourselves so short?

That game highlighted our squad deficiencies. Two Iberian lads trousering in excess of 100+ K a week and not allowed to play.

There's a restructuring needed here.

1 minute ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I don't think the Puel rotation was excessive. The back 4 should have been fine, but our Captain should not have been outjumped so easily.

Vardy absence was justified as we are nursing him at the moment. 

The problem was the Fro/James axis was limited to say the least - James was chuntering 15mins in. We also have one woefully out of form striker and one who is effectively semi-retired. How have we left ourselves so short?

That game highlighted our squad deficiencies. Two Iberian lads trousering in excess of 100+ K a week and not allowed to play.

There's a restructuring needed here.

I agree the defence should have been more than capable, but couple that with absolutely zero pace throughout the side, a central midfield partnership containing a player who was coming back from yet another long term injury and an attack that make Iain Dowie look prolific at both scoring and shagging women. Disgusting team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I agree totally. Vardy on in the second half and we'd have been fine. And if he's really carrying an injury then we've known about it for weeks, and should have already signed a new striker.  The first quarter of the transfer window is already over.

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

Puel's work here so far is so underrated.

At no point have we ever been anywhere near relegation battle under him (in fact, he took us from 17th to 9th after taking over from Shakespeare). He has brought down the average age of the starting 11 and he has identified the players who need to be moved on. The football in terms of entertainment is about 6/10 but the results and league position is 8/10. Overall Puel is a net positive for LCFC. The next window(s) several players will be moved on, some out of contract and some surplus to requirements. On top of that the purse will be tightened due to stadium expansion. Puel is here to oversee a big important transition phase for the club and he is doing a good job so far.

Puel has made mistakes (better managers at bigger clubs make errors as well) but the lack of intelligent critique of him is spectacular. The abuse he gets is shocking.

I also want to add that our netspend in the summer was in the bottom 5 in the PL. And not to mention he has made our academy useful again by actually playing the likes of Hamza and Chilwell (Barnes very soon as well).

Edited by Koke

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

Puel's work here so far is so underrated.

At no point have we ever been anywhere near relegation battle under him (in fact, he took us from 17th to 9th after taking over from Shakespeare). He has brought down the average age of the starting 11 and he has identified the players who need to be moved on. The football in terms of entertainment is about 6/10 but the results and league position is 8/10. Overall Puel is a net positive for LCFC. The next window(s) several players will be moved on, some out of contract and some surplus to requirements. On top of that the purse will be tightened due to stadium expansion. Puel is here to oversee a big important transition phase for the club and he is doing a good job so far.

Puel has made mistakes (better managers at bigger clubs make errors as well) but the lack of intelligent critique of him is spectacular. The abuse he gets is shocking.

The best post I've read on here for ages. I agree 100% 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Wdywd said:

Some absolutely ridiculous takes today. The chances that Puel would've got a pass if he rested players against Everton and lost ahead of Fleetwood away are zero. If we start playing weakened sides in the league and end up bottom half before running up against Man City again in the cup and losing, then what? We all wanted to win yesterday, but the idea we lost because of the team is insane. The team we put out should have been good enough to win. It's as simple as that. The back four has hundreds of games of experience at the top level, we had about 50 million worth of attackers playing. We brought on our best creative player. We created enough chances to win.

You have to give players a break sometimes, but every time we have any sort of dodgy result the manager gets pelters. What do you want? Where do you want the resting to happen? Chilwell and Ricardo for example basically play wing back every single game, we've just played a tonne of games over Christmas where they played every one. We can't just play them relentlessly. Mendy and Ndidi are literally our only two senior midfielders good enough for the Premier League. Vardy clearly has an ongoing problem we're having to manage, and we only have three strikers at the club. Who should we have played up front instead?

Excellent post.

There is no question in my mind the team we put out yesterday were more than good enough to win that game.

It wasn't Puel's fault that Morgan, our captain and P/L/ winner, was out positioned and out jumped by a 4th division striker, or that Albrighton had a brain fart, or we missed at least 10 good chances.

As I said before, it is Puel's fault that we haven't got any decent back up strikers, as it's obvious to us all the Okazaki is long past it and Nacho is just nowhere near good enough and should be sold ASAP.

That said, I still think Puel is over achieving with this squad.

• Like 1