Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

I feel the guy is sucking the life out of the club.

Some of Pearsons team selections were bizarre as was his behavior occasionally but he had a fantastic infrastructure of known and respected support.

Other than Mike Stowell who does have the players respect Puel has surrounded himself with 'his' team of unknowns.

Walsh and Ranieri managed to get the team/players playing beyond their ability, Puel has us playing below.

Took balls for Vardy to point out that he's not become shiit overnight but that the manager wants him to change a style he's used all his playing life and that works.

Puel is either incompetent or feeling the cold and wants out. Was that midfield every going to work?

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's like he does it on purpose, there was absolutely no need to be that brazen with team selection yesterday. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but it just looked vulnerable. An aging defence containing two players who have been told they have no future at the club, a midfield devoid of any pace and a player coming back from yet another long term injury. Not to mention a forward partnership that are breaking new records for the lack of goals they score. 

I get the need to rotate for fitness reasons and for keeping the squad fresh and morale good but the way Puel does this is so frustrating. Maddison and Gray have had a lighter workload than expected over Christmas and could easily have started yesterday. Matty James was never going to be suited to this game alongside such a disjointed team and a team going hell for leather, it was a horrendous decision and he was possibly our worst player. Looked slow, out of sorts and Choudhury had to bail him out a number of times.

I'd be amazed if the club are satisfied with the way Puel treats cup competitions, the manner of yesterday will sting. After such a great festive period, he's burnt some bridges yet again. As I said, it's like he does it on purpose to wind the fans up.

The reason he played James was because he knows that Silva and Iborra are going and in the event he can’t get anyone in, he needs a reasonably fit James ready as back up. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's like he does it on purpose, there was absolutely no need to be that brazen with team selection yesterday. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but it just looked vulnerable. An aging defence containing two players who have been told they have no future at the club, a midfield devoid of any pace and a player coming back from yet another long term injury. Not to mention a forward partnership that are breaking new records for the lack of goals they score. 

I get the need to rotate for fitness reasons and for keeping the squad fresh and morale good but the way Puel does this is so frustrating. Maddison and Gray have had a lighter workload than expected over Christmas and could easily have started yesterday. Matty James was never going to be suited to this game alongside such a disjointed team and a team going hell for leather, it was a horrendous decision and he was possibly our worst player. Looked slow, out of sorts and Choudhury had to bail him out a number of times.

I'd be amazed if the club are satisfied with the way Puel treats cup competitions, the manner of yesterday will sting. After such a great festive period, he's burnt some bridges yet again. As I said, it's like he does it on purpose to wind the fans up.

Great post and agree. I'd question his ability to maintain good morale though and the need to lift the morale of players about to leave, not the ideal shop window. Simpson only a bit part player but was unceremoniously bombed out as was King. Okasaki is away as is Fuchs, Albrighton in and out early season, Vardy asked to change his proven style. Silva has disappeared as has lborra selecting Mendy at 11th hour the list goes on

Again, Puel won't get sacked. Not for now.

Thanks to the horrible Newport County FA Cup exit, he can now completely focus on the Premier League, trying to maintain that 7th spot (but no European football in sight).

However, should we slip down the table and end this season further down than we did last (in 9th), then serious question have to be asked. Right now, 7th place looks good on paper, but the points difference to the teams right behind us is minimal, all it takes is two games and we're suddenly in the region of 13th.

For now, be thankful for no other distractions to the Premier League task and that we can tackle the further rebuilding of this side, with many older faces on the way out sooner than later - already this month should be interesting in that regard.

Edited by MC Prussian

7 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

The reason he played James was because he knows that Silva and Iborra are going and in the event he can’t get anyone in, he needs a reasonably fit James ready as back up. 

Did any of us ever expect to see the 'dynamic duo ' of Fatman and Dobbin together again in midfield? 

James and King have been great servants of the club but Jesus Christ playing them yesterday was asking for trouble and an insult to all the fans who travelled to witness that debacle! 

22 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Did any of us ever expect to see the 'dynamic duo ' of Fatman and Dobbin together again in midfield? 

James and King have been great servants of the club but Jesus Christ playing them yesterday was asking for trouble and an insult to all the fans who travelled to witness that debacle! 

I think fatman and dobbin is a bit of an insult to James and King tbh ...

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think you're right in the sense that he does do it deliberately, however I think it's for other reasons than trying to wind up the fans. 

I suspect he wants change but behind the scenes he's being told that it isn't necessary as the senior management are probably pointing to the fact that he has inherited a group of player's that not so long ago won the PL so are therefore more than adequate backup. 

The best way to disprove that notion is to give the backup player's the opportunity to prove that they're as good as people believe, and can be best summed up by the old expression of "Give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves". Ultimately the more he does this and the more those same player's keep letting him down, the stronger the argument for change becomes as he will have compelling factual reasons as to why he is right to push for the changes. 

He did this last season with the back line, regularly playing the old guard whilst FT went into meltdown constantly criticising him for not addressing the leaky defence. We got to the summer and the defence has been completely overhauled and we now have a very good back line which offers an attacking option, with strength in depth. 

Try to be patient, I'd like to think some of these decisions are part of a bigger plan. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wortho said:

Do we really want to qualify for the Europa League? I'm not all that keen even if it does happen.

Me neither ...    and I didn’t think we’d do well in the FA cup either ...   but I’m still sore over missing out in the ‘other’ cup ....   still a cup for me whether it’s fa or caribou.  

Stay in the prem and watch the team develop for me now.

11 hours ago, Babylon said:

We had the fourth or fifth worst defence last season, we've had to tighten up because on top of that we lost our most creative player. Surely you can appreciate there are issues he's needing to solve and is solving, whilst also keeping us fairly competitive.

Yes we now need to work on the attacking side of things and improve there, if we can get that right then the entertainment will come.

But it's difficult to solve these problems instantly, especially when he's dealing with the fallout of expensive flops as well

@Babylon  you just keep hitting the mark!!!

We have had too many failing expensive players. And a few young ones not,realising their potential,or not consistent over any period!!!

Puel has now gone through the squad,to try and find,a front 6 who can deliver....Our Engine room was ripped apart,and replacements

havent  met expectations,meaning Puel /any manager,has very little room to manoeuvre,or find a decent platform..

we have as mentioned,in past posts,which you have also highlighted...Puel has created a more than a decent defence,where any choice

of 2 from 4, gives us CB pairings, that have gave us a solid platform to cover  future seasons..

Just now, Countryfox said:

Me neither ...    and I didn’t think we’d do well in the FA cup either ...   but I’m still sore over missing out in the ‘other’ cup ....   still a cup for me whether it’s fa or caribou.  

Stay in the prem and watch the team develop for me now.

Puel does not seem to care about the cups. I think that's why the fans don't warm to him. 

FFS playing Okazaki and Ian Nacho together. They could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored. This could mean the end for Puel.

44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The decision to start James was very poor. He should have been given 20mins at the end of the game at most, to ease him back in. Add to that, pairing him with an inexperienced Choudary, what was he thinking? Pairing Iheanacho and Okazaki together was also an odd choice, and would make it hard for us to score. Bringing King on as well, who hasn't played for a year, when we are a goal down and struggling... wtf was that all about?! Shocking complacency/arrogance from Puel. 

In saying all that, the players still have to take a huge amount of responsibility for that shit show. We were totally outfought by a league 2 side and looked devoid of ideas! I thought Simpson was atrocious and along with Albrighton, showed zero intelligence with their long ball crap that was easily dealt with by Newport! I think Simpson only performs well when he is really up against it, give him any time on the ball or more freedom, and he really becomes a pub player at times! 

Puel and the players still have credit in the bank for their wonderful performances over Christmas, but this really was a slap in the face and just so avoidable, if a) Puel had taken this competition more seriously and b) The players had actually shown desire and ambition to win not just this easy tie, but the whole bloody tournament! 

Puel needs a strong finish to the season, as there are still some red flags around and nights like yesterday and the bizarre team selection for the carabao cup quarter final, will come back to haunt him this summer if we do finish below 10th.

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

The decision to start James was very poor. He should have been given 20mins at the end of the game at most, to ease him back in. Add to that, pairing him with an inexperienced Choudary, what was he thinking? Pairing Iheanacho and Okazaki together was also an odd choice, and would make it hard for us to score. Bringing King on as well, who hasn't played for a year, when we are a goal down and struggling... wtf was that all about?! Shocking complacency/arrogance from Puel. 

In saying all that, the players still have to take a huge amount of responsibility for that shit show. We were totally outfought by a league 2 side and looked devoid of ideas! I thought Simpson was atrocious and along with Albrighton, showed zero intelligence with their long ball crap that was easily dealt with by Newport! I think Simpson only performs well when he is really up against it, give him any time on the ball or more freedom, and he really becomes a pub player at times! 

Puel and the players still have credit in the bank for their wonderful performances over Christmas, but this really was a slap in the face and just so avoidable, if a) Puel had taken this competition more seriously and b) The players had actually shown desire and ambition to win not just this easy tie, but the whole bloody tournament! 

Puel needs a strong finish to the season, as there are still some red flags around and nights like yesterday and the bizarre team selection for the carabao cup quarter final, will come back to haunt him this summer if we do finish below 10th.

I know what you are saying but a lot of my Puel out mates said ‘that team is good enough to win the game’ just before kick off ...    and they should have ..   but they didn’t ...   

Leicesters next 5 games.

Southampton (H)

Wolves (A)

Liverpool (A)

Man Utd (H)

Spurs (A)

If we do not win 3 or 4 out of these games, or if we lose 4 of these games we could be 14th after that or worse.

Tough 5 games coming up.

47 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I love that name 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Agree with this. The way he does this comes across as arrogance and you can see why it would grate on some people.

Silva and Iborra are still on our books and are being paid a huge sum to sit around and do nothing - they should have been given minutes yesterday way more so than Matty James who needs to spend the rest of the season in the u23s building fitness. There was no way Matty James was ready for yesterday and Puel showed absolute contempt for our supporters and our opposition for selecting him. Its a bizarre indefensible selection especially knowing you are going to use 1 of 3 subs at one point to take him off as he won't last and who does he bring on? Andy King who hasn't had a kick for a year.. Its poor, poor management especially when chasing the game.

As for the rest - Okazaki should not be starting at all for us any more. Its clear as day he's passed it, he's been a great servant in our most successful period ever but he's not up to scratch. Fuchs has his head in New York already, he's still chasing back now for the cross for the first goal. Albrighton was the player most in need of a rest due to his all action style, you could see he was blowing but he was used from the start instead of Gray, this resulted in an extremely tired and silly mistake that cost us the game.

Ghezzal - Nice goal but his first touch is dreadful, he's slow and doesn't do much of anything. Didnt impress against league two opposition (struggled until he scored) and has been hooked early several times this season. How many more chances is he going to squander?

The rest of them were pretty much bang average but you could tell they were not up for it. How many more times are we going to say that this season? So many missed opportunities because the players were not up for it against opposition that isn't the top 6.

The formation and style of play also need to get in the bin. Setting up to contain teams that are there for the taking and playing patient football is dire. You can tell the players are instructed to stand off, not dive in and be patient, the result is a low intensity bore fest. We should have been pressuring these all across the park but for the first 50 minutes we stood off them when defending and passed the ball sideways or pot shot straight at the keeper when attacking.

Puel needs to wake up and make some changes.

• Like 2