Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Quick Brown Fox

Southampton Home post match, 1-2 loss.

75% possession and 25 shots, yet can't really remember their keeper pulling off any 2nd half blinders. We were so one dimensional in possession and kept going from side to side. Our goal was good, but a rare flash. The saints were happy to watch us go side to side and take pot shots from distance.

As mentioned above we are very pedestrian in possession. Given the talent and pace in this team, can get some bloody urgency into our attack please?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nettle said:

I think Maddison is a good I just don't think Puel's tactics suit him, go and watch footage of him playing for Norwich. They would play quick ball into feet and let him turn pass and move etc. Puel's laboured style of football just doesn't suit him and quite a few others if you ask me.

He tried doing that on a number of occasions today actually and failed. His decision making is letting him down at the moment, does play the right pass or run at the moment. He needs to work on that 

It was an unusual shape at times in the first half. The full backs are so advanced and one of the midfield three so often covering for them by dropping into defence, that you wonder why we don't just be done with it and go 3-4-2-1, with an extra defender (where we have lots of decent options, and with the advantage that we won't have to see Mendy dropping into defence again) and one less attacking midfielder, where for me a good few players, including Maddison, aren't doing enough.

Regardless of the shape, though, we're going to have problems if we don't give serious thought to the fundamentals of our build-up play.

• Like 1

After the first half I just felt completely deflated. Wasn't even anger, just felt let down. After the first goal Kasper kicked the ball out and the only player to attempt to get the ball and get going again was Hamza. All the others just had hands on hips. How can our youngest player on the field be the only one to motivate his teammates? Today showed me there are some more serious issues than Puel just playing the wrong team and/or system. 

• Like 1

Just read this from BBC -view opinions-thread..

Puel recalls Harvey Barnes, who has played zero premier league minutes this year and has scored zero premier league goals this year, and puts him on at half time when we're two-nil down. Tactical ineptitude XXL. Puel out. Clueless.

Now there's a twist!!!   

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

We didn't play with 3 defensive midfielders against Cardiff, we played with the usual two.

Playing 3 midfielders isn't necessarily a defensive move. Liverpool, the team top of the pile right now play 3 central midfielders too, and none of Wijnaldum, Henderson or Milner are what I would call creative. They are all players with great engines, and somewhat similar to the 3 midfielders we picked today. Read more about it in THIS post. The idea is that the three in the middle mean that all 3 forwards and the full backs can push up to attack. What we don't have is an attacking 3 like Mane, Salah and Firminho.

I have no idea why our fans think that our manager deliberately tells our players not to take the initiative? He has said time and time again that he does not know why the team starts so slowly and is trying to change it. Starting with Hamza, who is full of energy is one reasonable idea at trying to solve it as an example. Do people seriously think before he sends the team out, he tells them to play the ball as slowly as possible and hand control of the game to the opposition? He's literally said on countless occasions that players need to be braver with the ball.

These teams sit back and knowingly let Leicester have the play. Why? Because as of today our players aren't very good on the ball. They struggle to play the ball quickly and break down opposition teams. But we don't go into games deliberately trying not to take the initiative. It's a complete fallacy. That's what I am disagreeing with.

There's a reason why top class attacking players go for huge sums of money, and coaches like Guardiola get paid so well. It's incredibly difficult to achieve a successful attacking style of play.

If you don't think Puel tells his players to be cautious and patient (rather than fast and incisive) at the start against defensively-minded teams, then the inference is that he has a major problem getting his message across - i.e. communicating with and/or motivating them. Either way something is wrong.

Because it keeps on happening.

Edited by Hammo
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sublime_Coatsworth said:

Charge up the wing sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass

sideways pass Back to goalie Out to fullback Charge up the wing sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass sideways pass lose possession.

Puel out.

Dont be so fcuking daft, when have we managed to put that amount of passes together without losing possession.

Bye bye Puel

5 minutes ago, Hammo said:

If you don't think Puel tells his players to be cautious and patient (rather than fast and incisive) at the start against defensively-minded teams, then the inference is that he has a major problem getting his message across - i.e. communicating with and/or motivating them

Because it keeps on happening.

Now this is a fair criticism, in fact I just edited my post to mention that.

If people want to moan about Puel for this specific reason, well I think that's fair game. So far he has not dramatically improved our attacking play with possibly the exception of our fullbacks, which suggests one or both of two things:

- Our players aren't good enough.

- Puel and his coaching team aren't able to get their ideas across as well as we would expect.

It definitely does keep happening. My expectations were for us to be inconsistent, but for us to sometimes turn it on and look fantastic. As of right now we are solid, but I can't think of too many great passing moves this season that have opened up the opposition and lead to a goal.

But there is a difference at saying he's not getting his ideas across properly versus saying he's setting out a team that isn't looking to get on the front foot.

Edited by StriderHiryu

23 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

We didn't play with 3 defensive midfielders against Cardiff, we played with the usual two.

Playing 3 midfielders isn't necessarily a defensive move. Liverpool, the team top of the pile right now play 3 central midfielders too, and none of Wijnaldum, Henderson or Milner are what I would call creative. They are all players with great engines, and somewhat similar to the 3 midfielders we picked today. Read more about it in THIS post. The idea is that the three in the middle mean that all 3 forwards and the full backs can push up to attack. What we don't have is an attacking 3 like Mane, Salah and Firminho.

I have no idea why our fans think that our manager deliberately tells our players not to take the initiative? He has said time and time again that he does not know why the team starts so slowly and is trying to change it. Starting with Hamza, who is full of energy is one reasonable idea at trying to solve it as an example. Do people seriously think before he sends the team out, he tells them to play the ball as slowly as possible and hand control of the game to the opposition? He's literally said on countless occasions that players need to be braver with the ball.

These teams sit back and knowingly let Leicester have the play. Why? Because as of today our players aren't very good on the ball. They struggle to play the ball quickly and break down opposition teams. But we don't go into games deliberately trying not to take the initiative. It's a complete fallacy. That's what I am disagreeing with. It's always blamed on the manager, when I'd argue the manager is the person that is trying to change it. If people want to criticise him for not being able to coach and improve the attacking players, then that I can get on board with, but to outright state that he doesn't setup to take initiative is simply not true.

There's a reason why top class attacking players go for huge sums of money, and coaches like Guardiola get paid so well. It's incredibly difficult to achieve a successful attacking style of play.

Well made point..(IMO)...:D

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Now this is a fair criticism, in fact I just edited my post to mention that.

If people want to moan about Puel for this specific reason, well I think that's fair game. So far he has not dramatically improved our attacking play with possibly the exception of our fullbacks, which suggests one or both of two things:

- Our players aren't good enough.

- Puel and his coaching team aren't able to get their ideas across as well as we would expect.

It definitely does keep happening. My expectations were for us to be inconsistent, but for us to sometimes turn it on and look fantastic. As of right now we are solid, but I can't think of too many great passing moves this season that have opened up the opposition and lead to a goal.

But there is a difference at saying he's not getting his ideas across properly versus saying he's setting out a team that isn't looking to get on the front foot.

I base my opinions on evidence, not on agendas, favouritism or bias. I am neither Puel in nor Puel out, but for whatever reason - be it his tactical inflexibility or lack of charisma/motivational acumen, or perhaps something else - there is s fundamental flaw in his and his team's ability to beat sides below us in the table at home. And there is nothing, absolutely nothing, to suggest that he is anywhere near fixing it. Is that stubbornness on his part (I have yet to hear him acknowledge it to be an issue in any interview) or just rank bad management?

Just look at all the results in this category over the past 12 months. It's staggering. And if he can't fix it any time soon, and certainly by the end of the season, he can have no complaints about being sacked.

• Like 2

Just back from today's game.

It's beginning to feel like visiting a relative you don't like going down to the KP, you feel you got to go but don't really like it. Everything today felt wrong from the outset, the crowd didn't seem up for it from the start, the team matched it.

Regardless of the formation and selection, the pressing and desire didn't seem there at all today. Passes wayward and without confidence. Again we got what we deserved going 1-0 down. Mendy had an absolute stinker today no denying that, but has enough credit in the bank this season to have another chance.

Great to see Hamza again be the best player in blue today. What set him apart was the apparent desire he was showing. This wasn't as clear in some of the older Pros. Thought Vardys contribution today was minimal, Wes was throwing his arms around in the second half showing frustration, which is worrying for a leader when we're under pressure.

Good to see Harvey Barnes in the squad, unfortunately I think way too much expectation is going to be planted on his shoulders too soon this season. Madison and Gray should be taking much more of that responsibility and so often flatter to deceive.

All in all a terrible afternoon, Puel must take his portion of the blame as must the players, who seem to be getting away with too much after poor performances whilst the manager takes it all. 

I'm not Puel in or out, I'm just Leicester city through and through and until the board make the decision he's no longer the manager gets my support.

• Like 3

Southampton must have wondered how we managed to be so inept against their ten men with the fastest full backs in the league....... I am astonished that we don’t seem to train to make patterns to effect getting them in behind the opposition .....

can you imagine what pep would get out of Ricardo and Chilwell ??

they are capable of making the byline bit too often they have to throw a cross in from the corner of the box area .... it’s quite pathetic ...

and when we have two wingers on the pitch and no one to get a head onto a cross with fifteen to go, let’s bring on another winger and keep two big centre halves on!  We should have dropped hamza into the back two and pushed Harry up to support Vardy with those crosses coming in .... it was embarrassing......

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Southampton must have wondered how we managed to be so inept against their ten men with the fastest full backs in the league....... I am astonished that we don’t seem to train to make patterns to effect getting them in behind the opposition .....

can you imagine what pep would get out of Ricardo and Chilwell ??

they are capable of making the byline bit too often they have to throw a cross in from the corner of the box area .... it’s quite pathetic ...

and when we have two wingers on the pitch and no one to get a head onto a cross with fifteen to go, let’s bring on another winger and keep two big centre halves on!  We should have dropped hamza into the back two and pushed Harry up to support Vardy with those crosses coming in .... it was embarrassing......

Often thought along these lines: Reckon Harry could do a Steve Walsh. At least some aerial threat. 

1 minute ago, SuperMike said:

Often thought along these lines: Reckon Harry could do a Steve Walsh. At least some aerial threat. 

To be fair he was pushed up towards the end and even before that Harry was poor with his head today, had a couple of chances.