Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Quick Brown Fox

Southampton Home post match, 1-2 loss.

If I was Top, I'd get Puel in a room and ask him to explain why his strategy for breaking down defensive teams at home is always the same but invariably fails (the proof is in the results).

And if he can't give a reasonable response, or refuses to accept that this is his Achilles heel with this team and is unwilling to change his dull, tedious ways, then he should be shown the door.

There are other flaws in Puel's management but this one is clearly a sackable offence. He never learns from his mistakes. His arrogance and stubbornness will be his downfall.

3 minutes ago, Hammo said:

If I was Top, I'd get Puel in a room and ask him to explain why his strategy for breaking down defensive teams at home is always the same but invariably fails (the proof is in the results).

And if he can't give a reasonable response, or refuses to accept that this is his Achilles heel with this team and is unwilling to change his dull, tedious ways, then he should be shown the door.

There are other flaws in Puel's management but this one is clearly a sackable offence. He never learns from his mistakes. His arrogance and stubbornness will be his downfall.

Seemed like he was going for a 0-0 from the start, then planned to bring on Barnes towards the end, at the point we normally start playing well. Our home form is so poor playing it safe and going for a draw wasn't a horrific idea. I don't like it but it's not inexcusable.

11 minutes ago, Tony_B said:

Saints Fan In Peace, as they say.

Having suffered Puel for a season, reading the comments here is just like re-living that appalling season, when we managed to turn from an attacking entertaining side (just finished 6th, 3 points away from 4th) into the dullest of the dull.  After - from memory - the last 7 home games without a goal under Puel, I did not bother to renew my season ticket.

All the things you guys are complaining about now, we had exactly the same.

Even the bizarre thing with being more likely to win away, than at home.

And he got close to ruining some careers, with promising in-comers declining in performance under his regime.  And talented players were desperate to leave.

The Clueless one is a complete fraud.  You have to get rid of him!

But don’t get Pelligrino.....

So many parallels to be drawn, neither of which improved at Southampton and they don't seem to be here, pretty much whatever I read from Southampton's view of him it just seems like deja vu and I don't see how or when it's going to change.

11 minutes ago, Tony_B said:

Saints Fan In Peace, as they say.

Having suffered Puel for a season, reading the comments here is just like re-living that appalling season, when we managed to turn from an attacking entertaining side (just finished 6th, 3 points away from 4th) into the dullest of the dull.  After - from memory - the last 7 home games without a goal under Puel, I did not bother to renew my season ticket.

All the things you guys are complaining about now, we had exactly the same.

Even the bizarre thing with being more likely to win away, than at home.

And he got close to ruining some careers, with promising in-comers declining in performance under his regime.  And talented players were desperate to leave.

The Clueless one is a complete fraud.  You have to get rid of him!

But don’t get Pelligrino.....

The home form is interesting. But explainable: fans turned toxic against the manager and team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Morgan was good. Maguire did alright but missed a couple of opportunities. I was impressed with Choudhury. He was positive and put in a shift. Other than that I thought performances were generally poor first half, apart from Mendy who was obviously awful (negative with his passing, unintelligent with his decision-making, very costly), and unsurprisingly better in the second half when Southampton dug in.

Our advanced full backs give opposition sides opportunities to get in behind, and require the CMs to drop back into defence, which creates problems because, well, they're not defenders. In attack, it was a mistake to remove Albrighton (poor as he was) from a game where we resorted to swinging in crosses, and even if we'd left him on we'd have needed more men in the box to cause a bit more havoc when the ball's delivered. The delivery from the full backs was poor, and Maddison wasn't particularly effective as a creative force. Barnes did fine when he came on.

Our passing could have been more positive, especially early on. And we could do with cutting out the long range shots when midfielders have attacking options in front of them. The wider problem, however, is that we surrender the impetus way too often in the first half of games by lacking any real attacking intent. No, we can't counter attack all the time, but we can commit men forward, Mendy can select the easy sideways ball rather than the ball back to Maguire and Morgan, we can be a touch more direct every so often rather than the constant slow build-up which requires the likes of Ndidi to have to retain possession. We don't have to defend corners with eleven men, or run into dead-ends by taking short throws when Choudhury could hurl the ball into the danger zone. We need to seize the initiative, and go into games with more of a desire to put defences to the sword.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Mendy's mistakes cost us, simple as that, there's nothing more to say on that matter.

Players like James Maddison though should be stepping up, I picked him out especially because he was fvcking garbage.

His product today was diabolical, he is our main creator yet he created sod all, I'm not going to let him off because he's young and supposedly talented. 

He rightfully deserves criticism tonight.

lt showed complete lack of understanding for the first goal and the second not even sure what happened.

I agree he deserves criticism, but the whole team does. We weren't clinical or good enough today, simple as. 

We should've won, had a couple of clear Cut chances and those mistakes shouldn't be happening. 

20 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Kasper's kicking cost us the first goal. And he's been appalling all season in that department with no improvement in sight. So yes although he is a legend he is at the moment a liability.

That's not strictly true. His kicking was poor in the build-up to the first goal but it wasn't the critical intervention in the move, not in comparison to - say - Mendy's role. It's a bit hysterical to claim Schmeichel is a liability. His kicking, I'll grant you, but that's all.

Same old same some in fan just dont learn do they we could be one point above relegation zone they will still love him. Club has ambition the manager does not. You cant blame players cos he picks the players. He cant lift the players up to get them going. So WHY IS HE STULL HERE?

PS. Also are the IN team gonna go on about we are 8th now? Lol then 10th an so on haha

Lots of talk about the insanity of playing 3 DMs against a bottom 3 side but what other options did we have in midfield? And it's not like Choudery was playing in a DM position he was playing well up the pitch. 

For me the biggest problem in a pretty terrible first half ( Other than Mendy's idiocy and finally managing to do the unwanted double of conceding in the first 15 and just before half time in the same game!) Was our utterly terrible passing. It was so bad from pretty much every player. It was like watching the last few games under Shakespeare but without the hoofing. Now you can argue that we should play in a different style but passing is pretty damn important regardless of how you play and if you pass that poorly then you're always gonna struggle. 

2nd half I honestly don't know what more we could have done with the players we have. We literally threw everything we had at them but we simply don't have good enough players to break down a block of 9 players in the penalty area. That's not even true as we did break them down but thanks to Mendy being a twat we needed more.

There is next to no point in getting in a new manager as it won't make much difference. What we really need far more is some new attacking players!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Seemed like he was going for a 0-0 from the start, then planned to bring on Barnes towards the end, at the point we normally start playing well. Our home form is so poor playing it safe and going for a draw wasn't a horrific idea. I don't like it but it's not inexcusable.

I'd say that applying those tactics at home to a very depleted Southampton team with a rested, full-strength XI of his own IS inexcusable.

And our home form is so poor BECAUSE he has repeatedly deployed this ponderous, cautious, wait-and-see strategy in the past!

39 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Hahaha!

For all the football manager wannabes, how would they actually fix our problems? Go out and spend crazy money like Man City? We can’t do that because FFP rules restrict your wages to a % of your revenues. If we did sack Puel then what? We still have the same players. I mean we could big in Big Sam and play crash and bash football like Shakespeare did and see how that works out? Bring back Pearson and do what exactly? If we did somehow have Jardim in charge or even Brendan Rogers as of right here right now there is not much else we can do. 

I’m as frustrated as anyone but these things take time. If we had the same result but played Shinji, King, Simmo, Fuchs etc I’d be more upset because there would be no hope for that set of players. It’s over to our young guns now to see what they can do. But it’s going to take them time to develop. 

Our problems lie in not being able to break teams down. The first thing anyone wanting to make an impact would do, is get more creativity in to the team. We play with either 3 defensive midfielders or 2 and zero creativity behind Vardy. Maddison is woeful at the minute and Albrighton is never going to offer much, he's entering one of his abysmal spells. Gray has zero end product, his crossing is like Chilwell's, they have an ability of crossing it straight at the opposition or behind the line of attack and the momentum is lost.

We simply have to go and buy. It's not necessarily about spending a fortune but go and get a proper box to box midfielder with a track record for being able to forward pass, such as Hector Herrera at Porto. Contract up in the summer and by all accounts wants a new challenge. Then go and get Brais Mendes, activate his release clause which is about £20m and a bargain in today's market. 

That would honestly he a start, especially with Barnes now back. Another option in attack would help but that might be asking too much to get 3 new players in. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

And it's not like Choudery was playing in a DM position he was playing well up the pitch. 

And that is the problem, we’re asking a defensive midfielder to create / play a position he doesn’t suit. Likewise with Ndidi when he’s in a three.. one of them with a Drinkwater type player and we might progress.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Apollo said:

First time I’ve heard puel out chants today 

Been a long time since I've heard "anyone" out chants. 

Can't remember any for 

Sousa, Sven, Raneri,(obviously) Shakespeare, Pearson,not even Holloway. Even when it's dross we tend to stand by them. Probably have to go back to Peter Taylor to fin d sort of dissatisfaction we have building now.