Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
5waller5

In It Together?

40 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We all know your adoration of Puel and frankly it’s getting boring. You don’t discuss, you are just ‘pro puel’

Chilwell was always going to remove Fuchs from the side, this was the natural progression. And it’s no coincidence that he’s being courted by ‘bigger clubs’

Now let’s start discussing Ndidi, Nacho, even Maddison..... 

Sorry to get in the way of the forum's Puel out circlejerk, you can always put me on block if me backing the manager (or at least making a point that gives him some praise) is so boring and awful.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dames said:

We aren’t comfortable in possession and we certainly do not open up teams who dont let us counter.

Yes we do have a lot of the ball for periods in games but we really don’t do much with it, its all sideways, backwards or a hopeless floated cross to a maximum of 2 people shorter than 6 foot in the box. On top of that how many times do we also needlessly give the ball away? The team arent comfortable with the ball, they are scared with it hence all the safety.

I didn't say he'd successfully implemented it, I said it's common knowledge what it is.

24 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

But that's not really vision, that should be the aim of all managers/teams and is just part of the job. The vision should define a goal/end point, and with Puel laughing about how ridiculous it is to believe we can be top 6, I am questioning the ultimate vision and aspirations. Besides, he may like playing youth but it's hapless if you dont develop and play to their strengths. Ndidi looks a shadow of his former self, Gray has made backward steps and Maddisons previously exciting brand off football appears to have already been tamed to a dull sideways pass. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pertaining to be wholly in the Puel out camp, but this mythspreading and mudslinging works both ways and I'm sorry, but playing with youth is neither a vision or visionary. 

Well no, that is a vision - it's a plan for the future, how the club intends to work going forward. 

45 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

Also I's really not sure "half our fans" thought he was championship standard? I thought the majority thought he was a great prospect

I remember a fair few comments saying we need a new left back in the Summer, loan out Chilwell, etc. He was making tons of big errors. I dont think most managers would have persisted, let alone make him play every game no matter what. But whatever. 

22 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Except his vision and aim are clear as day - lower the average age of the squad, bring through more youth, be comfortable in possession to open teams who won't let us counter. They've been spelt out repeatedly and the ones who can't tell that's the vision are the ones with a vested interest in pretending there isn't one so they can slag Puel off

He spelled it out again literally yesterday. I know attention spans are short but Christ, it is really not hard to understand what he wants to do here.

Is he good at doing it? Maybe not.

But too many people have been set against Puel from the moment we had our first wobble last Christmas.

He wants to do the right things for the club. He’s taking difficult decisions in the interests of moving the club on from being stuck forever in 2015/16.

We ended today with 3 Academy graduates on the pitch, all under the age of 21 and 8th in the league. This should be a time where the fans and manager are in total alignment. For years we’ve wanted young academy players in the first XI - it’s part of what helps a club retain its identity - and now we have a manager who has managed it and maintained a reasonable league position we have the most divided fan base in the country. It’s absolutey crazy.

I’m not surprised he’s said the fans aren’t his concern. No wonder he’s pissed off when he takes the team up to 7th, reaches quarter finals in the first 3 cup competitions he enters, all the while bringing through young players and is being slated for being boring by an unbelievably large minority of our supporters who seem to think that the rest of the division is playing scintillating passing football.

Not once has his name been chanted in 18 months despite the fact that he’s actually achieved at least a “par” performance in that time by any reasonable definition. There’s been a lot of poor performances in there too and a lot of boring football but some huge signs of progress being orchestrated by a man who has a proper vision for what this club should be like.

People have started to compare him to Pearson and you can see similarities. His reticence to engage with the press, his disregard for what the fans think, the willingness to take tough, unpopular decisions in what he perceives to be the best interests of the club. Pearson sorted out a bloated squad full of players who thought they were more important for the club and replaced them with young, hungry players buying in to what he wanted to do. We went on a far worse run than this under Pearson (peaking at Barnsley in April 2013) but he was allowed to stay and see the job through and the rest is history. 

Of course there’s no guarantee you’d get a similar return in showing patience for Puel, nor should we expect one. But we do have a recent example of where that patience can be particularly useful in circumstances like this and it is being totally ignored by people who are struggling to see past the next game.

Perhaps rather than blaming the manager for the poor relationship with the fans, we as a fan base need to take a look at ourselves and work out what exactly it is we want from this football club. Because right now what I see is a group of supporters hugely divided between those who prioritise success today and those who prioritise a long-term sustainable future. Puel is never going to win the former round whilst the whole structure of the club is geared towards the latter. And if you’re unhappy with that then I’d politely suggest that your ire ought to be targeted slightly higher up the food chain than Claude Puel.

2 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I didn't say he'd successfully implemented it, I said it's common knowledge what it is.

He’s been here long enough to at least partially have implemented something. He hasn’t, we are slowly regressing. 

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Well no, that is a vision - it's a plan for the future, how the club intends to work going forward. 

But with the aim of achieving what? The unachievable top 6? The cups we've bailed out of? Or just developing youth as a feeder club for the top 6? The frustration, understandably for many, is that this 'vision' doesn't give anybody a clear insight into the eventual aim.

we have pretty much nothing to play for and have had pretty much nothing to play for since he joined. there’s never going to be a huge sense of belief and excitement about us finishing 9th instead of 13th. welcome to mid table. 

i imagine its the exact same at everton, watford, bournemouth, west ham and whoever else each time they lose a match. 

we all knew this was coming, it’s just hit us harder than most because of the title win. even when we were in league one or the championship and you watched prem games, teams like stoke or bolton or blackburn always looked insanely boring, half full grounds and completely disinterested fans until they had a chance at toppling one of the big boys. 

thats all we are now, a team who have 3 or 4 games a season to look forward to. we don’t even have a derby like most other clubs. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

we have pretty much nothing to play for and have had pretty much nothing to play for since he joined. there’s never going to be a huge sense of belief and excitement about us finishing 9th instead of 13th. welcome to mid table. 

i imagine its the exact same at everton, watford, bournemouth, west ham and whoever else each time they lose a match. 

we all knew this was coming, it’s just hit us harder than most because of the title win. even when we were in league one or the championship and you watched prem games, teams like stoke or bolton or blackburn always looked insanely boring, half full grounds and completely disinterested fans until they had a chance at toppling one of the big boys. 

thats all we are now, a team who have 3 or 4 games a season to look forward to. we don’t even have a derby like most other clubs. 

Well when you put it like that, I want to put a bullet in my head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ttfn said:

He spelled it out again literally yesterday. I know attention spans are short but Christ, it is really not hard to understand what he wants to do here.

Is he good at doing it? Maybe not.

But too many people have been set against Puel from the moment we had our first wobble last Christmas.

He wants to do the right things for the club. He’s taking difficult decisions in the interests of moving the club on from being stuck forever in 2015/16.

We ended today with 3 Academy graduates on the pitch, all under the age of 21 and 8th in the league. This should be a time where the fans and manager are in total alignment. For years we’ve wanted young academy players in the first XI - it’s part of what helps a club retain its identity - and now we have a manager who has managed it and maintained a reasonable league position we have the most divided fan base in the country. It’s absolutey crazy.

I’m not surprised he’s said the fans aren’t his concern. No wonder he’s pissed off when he takes the team up to 7th, reaches quarter finals in the first 3 cup competitions he enters, all the while bringing through young players and is being slated for being boring by an unbelievably large minority of our supporters who seem to think that the rest of the division is playing scintillating passing football.

Not once has his name been chanted in 18 months despite the fact that he’s actually achieved at least a “par” performance in that time by any reasonable definition. There’s been a lot of poor performances in there too and a lot of boring football but some huge signs of progress being orchestrated by a man who has a proper vision for what this club should be like.

People have started to compare him to Pearson and you can see similarities. His reticence to engage with the press, his disregard for what the fans think, the willingness to take tough, unpopular decisions in what he perceives to be the best interests of the club. Pearson sorted out a bloated squad full of players who thought they were more important for the club and replaced them with young, hungry players buying in to what he wanted to do. We went on a far worse run than this under Pearson (peaking at Barnsley in April 2013) but he was allowed to stay and see the job through and the rest is history. 

Of course there’s no guarantee you’d get a similar return in showing patience for Puel, nor should we expect one. But we do have a recent example of where that patience can be particularly useful in circumstances like this and it is being totally ignored by people who are struggling to see past the next game.

Perhaps rather than blaming the manager for the poor relationship with the fans, we as a fan base need to take a look at ourselves and work out what exactly it is we want from this football club. Because right now what I see is a group of supporters hugely divided between those who prioritise success today and those who prioritise a long-term sustainable future. Puel is never going to win the former round whilst the whole structure of the club is geared towards the latter. And if you’re unhappy with that then I’d politely suggest that your ire ought to be targeted slightly higher up the food chain than Claude Puel.

This is probably the best ever post I’ve read on this forum. Bravo

5 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

But with the aim of achieving what? The unachievable top 6? The cups we've bailed out of? Or just developing youth as a feeder club for the top 6? The frustration, understandably for many, is that this 'vision' doesn't give anybody a clear insight into the eventual aim.

Sustainable top half football, regular European tours via 7th? Really the ceiling for this club baring massive investment

7 minutes ago, Dames said:

He’s been here long enough to at least partially have implemented something. He hasn’t, we are slowly regressing. 

Well, he's started a clear out of the expensive older players not pulling their weight and brought through 2 youth teamers while turning another one into an England regular while his predecessor had him bench warming. On the pitch it's been hit and miss, like every mid-table side, but in restructuring the squad you can't deny he's made progress

Edited by The Doctor

15 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

The club hasn't felt "together" since Pearson was manager. No exaggeration. He rebuilt us and everything represented that. 

The gap between Puel and the fans is massive. 

Can't say it felt like that for me under NP particularly . O'Neil yes and Ranieri the year we won. 

I hope Geoff doesn’t mind me posting his tweets...

I was told there are “no problems and that players speaking out where few and far between” but someone who is connected says stuff like this... there are deep problems. I don’t agree with player power and them not getting on with their job as a highly paid professional, but if you don’t have respect for your boss it shows in the performances. After what we’ve gone through as a club this season you’d think that would unite everyone, but the fact it hasn’t... what does that tell you? If nothing else, there’s deep unrest and I can only see it getting worse unless he’s fired 

37BB7BC6-1A00-46DF-A2B3-1D64FBD92B8D.png

Edited by lcfceaves

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Sustainable top half football, regular European tours via 7th? Really the ceiling for this club baring massive investment

Well, he's started a clear out of the expensive older players not pulling their weight and brought through 2 youth teamers while turning another one into an England regular while his predecessor had him bench warming. On the pitch it's been hit and miss, like every mid-table side, but in restructuring the squad you can't deny he's made progress

for us to achieve 7th we are going to need some consistency in the performances and results, its hit and miss at the minute

as for this “in it together” stuff, there has probably been one season in my lifetime where the fans were in it together. 

even for most of pearson’s reign there was them proper weirdos who thought because he was nasty to the people in the press conferences we should have had him hung drawn and quartered. 

every fanbase in the country is the same. wenger in/wenger out, all that complete madness at west ham since they’ve moved grounds, chelsea fans every few months. 

theres probably about 3 “together” fan bases in this league, two are the best two teams in europe and the other is newcastle, who have so much hatred for everyone at their club the fans are probably pretty united. 

to get that feeling back you need something to fight for and as i said, we have nothing to fight for and i’m not sure the manager or the players have any fight in them even if we did. 

• Like 1

Just now, SecretPro said:

@UpTheLeagueFox Can't you just share what you've been told privately so we can all get a handle on what the issues are. Journo's talking in whispers and leaving fans in the dark is getting more than boring and a tad disingenuous.

A lot of the time things are told in confidence, where telling the full story may lead to who has been taking. Them leaving us slightly in the dark gives us some info, yet keeps their source completely hidden. 

I for one appreciate all the info Geoff does pass on to us, same as with all the "ITK". They all help us get a better look at what happens behind the scenes at our club.

• Like 4