Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haywood_6

Sky Package - Special Offers

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Think i'm going to get this to replace my NOWtv box, as it has Apple TV+ functionality and i've just binned off Netflix in favour of Apple and Disney.

Assume the £26 a month includes entertainment package?

Not sure yet, she wasn't really sure as it's not confirmed until next week. I think it will be for equipment only but then is yours after 2 years. The package for the signature, sports, kids and cinema was an extra £50 or so but this would be rolling so I'd cancel stuff when not in use

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hitesh said:

Not sure yet, she wasn't really sure as it's not confirmed until next week. I think it will be for equipment only but then is yours after 2 years. The package for the signature, sports, kids and cinema was an extra £50 or so but this would be rolling so I'd cancel stuff when not in use

Interesting… almost like they’ve spent so long cannibalising themselves with NowTv they’re now going to turn the tables and kill nowtv off lol 

On 22/09/2022 at 18:51, Hitesh said:

Coming out 18th October

Been trying to do the sums to see how it compares to NOW....

So Sky Steam will cost £29 per month (cancellable) or £26 a month (18 month contract) for the Ultimate Package and Netflix basic (£11.99 through netflix seperately). 

My current NOW set up is Entertainment (basically sky ultimate without 250 channels you'll never watch) for £9.99 a month and Sky Sports for £25 a month (will increase to £33 in about 4 months)

They've not announced how much adding sport would be. But lets assume it's another £25 on top. 

That would mean Sky Stream + Sky Sports will set you back £51/54 a month

Or... my NOW equivalent with a seperate Netflix subscribtion will cost £47

Struggling to see how they're going to claim value out of this one? Even with my sports increase it'll still be exactly the same price.

Edited by AjcW

Our Virgin offer will end in Dec, that's currently £90 for broadband, phone, tv, incl sky sports & BT. The previously quoted rate after the offer ends was £145. Our old Sky package was £150, not including BT but we were restricted to Sky at the old house. Just looked through the Sky deals and it looks to be £105 including all sports, hd, multi room etc. Tempted to go back to Sky, although I'll wait for a Virgin quote but thought the system was better and I miss Sky Atlantic.

Edited by FoyleFox

Called Sky today I was currently paying more than 100 quid for super fast broadband and tv packages including bt sport. I got rid of bt sport and now it’s down to 80 odd quid per month contact for 18 months it’s still relatively high but better than before.

8 hours ago, AjcW said:

Coming out 18th October

Been trying to do the sums to see how it compares to NOW....

So Sky Steam will cost £29 per month (cancellable) or £26 a month (18 month contract) for the Ultimate Package and Netflix basic (£11.99 through netflix seperately). 

My current NOW set up is Entertainment (basically sky ultimate without 250 channels you'll never watch) for £9.99 a month and Sky Sports for £25 a month (will increase to £33 in about 4 months)

They've not announced how much adding sport would be. But lets assume it's another £25 on top. 

That would mean Sky Stream + Sky Sports will set you back £51/54 a month

Or... my NOW equivalent with a seperate Netflix subscribtion will cost £47

Struggling to see how they're going to claim value out of this one? Even with my sports increase it'll still be exactly the same price.

I suspect you'll have the ability to do more on the platform like synching up Paramount+ / Disney plus etc. And can you record on Now TV?

• Like 1

Leaving sky for virgin soon. Managed to get every channel, 2 boxes, 1.1gb broadband and an unlimited sim for £79.

Something that annoyed me with Sky is they insist on leaving your Sky Q box on all of the time (there’s an eco mode that kicks in for a couple of hours in the middle of the night) so you can get all of the necessary updates. Problem is, the boxes use a fair chunk of electricity which isn’t cheap at the moment. I’ve read on current rates they cost just shy of £50 a year to run on standby, so worth adding considering that with any monthly subscription costs.

5 minutes ago, Hitesh said:

I suspect you'll have the ability to do more on the platform like synching up Paramount+ / Disney plus etc. And can you record on Now TV?

Ahh fair enough. Hadn’t actually looked into the functionality of the box itself 

3 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Leaving sky for virgin soon. Managed to get every channel, 2 boxes, 1.1gb broadband and an unlimited sim for £79.

Something that annoyed me with Sky is they insist on leaving your Sky Q box on all of the time (there’s an eco mode that kicks in for a couple of hours in the middle of the night) so you can get all of the necessary updates. Problem is, the boxes use a fair chunk of electricity which isn’t cheap at the moment. I’ve read on current rates they cost just shy of £50 a year to run on standby, so worth adding considering that with any monthly subscription costs.

Standby or actually on? We never used to leave our Sky Q box on. It was on standby but not on. It switched off by itself if it was on for a certain number of hours. 

With our virgin boxes, box 1 needs to be on for you to watch recordings on box 2, which didn't happen with our Sky boxes. 

18 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Standby or actually on? We never used to leave our Sky Q box on. It was on standby but not on. It switched off by itself if it was on for a certain number of hours. 

With our virgin boxes, box 1 needs to be on for you to watch recordings on box 2, which didn't happen with our Sky boxes. 

Standby, £50 a year just on standby. I’m assuming that’s the average standby of say 10pm- 7am. It uses more electricity when on standby and recording. 

I was just surprised with how much electricity it uses on standby to be honest. Plus it seems to have a mind of its own with recording tv shows, no matter how many times I turn certain recordings off it still decides to randomly record things lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2022 at 18:10, Trumpet said:

Standby, £50 a year just on standby. I’m assuming that’s the average standby of say 10pm- 7am. It uses more electricity when on standby and recording. 

I was just surprised with how much electricity it uses on standby to be honest. Plus it seems to have a mind of its own with recording tv shows, no matter how many times I turn certain recordings off it still decides to randomly record things lol

What i really like is if I’ve recorded some cricket and it finishes recording before the end.Big Bash( yes I’m still talking about cricket) was a prime example last year.

Managed to play the long game and came out with a decent deal..I gave notice to cancel 28 days ago, retentions contacted me offering the same package I had before for £20 less. So paying £55 for Sports, Cinema, MS, Kids and HD / Ultra. 

Didn't bother with Stream as it's working out at £80 per month for the same channels. 

• 3 weeks later...

With the new Sky streaming service, you receive a puck and your multi room is done by having an additional puck. Is it a simple plug in? Like a dongle rather than a cabled mini box. Can you move the puck between TV's?

So, if you're a family watching different programmes in different rooms, you obviously need full multi room. There are only 2 of us, we have 2 TV'S but only watch TV together, one TV at a time but in different places, depending on the time of year. If it could move the puck, that would be ideal and save £12pcm.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, rachhere said:

Hey @Haywood_6

It's time for me to renew my sky deal. I am in an annoying situation where my broadband contact comes to an end, but then I will still have another 6 months on the TV side of things. Do you know if they will let me set up a new combined deal for both if I phone up? 

Thanks!

They can do ANYTHING.   Might cost you a little, but is always worth asking.

Just went through my the initial negotiations with Virgin as my contract ended while I was away. The best they offered was M125 with Mixit TV for £32 per month for 18 months. I've gone ahead with cancelling in hope of a phone call with a better deal later. Hoping to go the same route as @Hitesh but I've usually caved by now because of the bother.

1 hour ago, MustardTiger said:

Just went through my the initial negotiations with Virgin as my contract ended while I was away. The best they offered was M125 with Mixit TV for £32 per month for 18 months. I've gone ahead with cancelling in hope of a phone call with a better deal later. Hoping to go the same route as @Hitesh but I've usually caved by now because of the bother.

Going through pretty much the same thing. Contract ends end of this month, went on the website to see how much the new 1gig fibre line cost, 45 a month for new customers, 55 a month for me on the site, rang them and they said cheapest they can do is 62 a month. Wtf. Bamboozled. 

Unfortunately bt aren't offering fibre lines yet. Doh. 

Whatever deal they offer new customers online they can offer you, I went through all this last week and eventually the retentions woman offered me the same deal I was on now but for £4 less a month. I got the price of the one on the website, but the black writing one, not the red writing, I probably could have fought a little harder but I got the same deal, upgraded internet speed and Netflix, all for £4 less than I was currently paying.

19 hours ago, MustardTiger said:

Hold your ground, a few years back we went through cancellations, didn’t offer us anything good so went ahead and cancelled and went with bt. About a month later and just before the switch to bt they suddenly got in touch with a good offer. So cancelled bt and went back.

My broadband with BT comes to an end in Apr, fibre £32 a month. They are offering me the same price for another 18 months. Been with BTY for 8 years, should I change? I don't have sky or BT sport, too tight to bother - wife pays for netflix and Amazon. Would be tempted at the right deal probably and tie it in with my broadband I guess.

16 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

My broadband with BT comes to an end in Apr, fibre £32 a month. They are offering me the same price for another 18 months. Been with BTY for 8 years, should I change? I don't have sky or BT sport, too tight to bother - wife pays for netflix and Amazon. Would be tempted at the right deal probably and tie it in with my broadband I guess.

I've been looking at options recently and most offers are less then that but they all shoot up massively after the contract period. If I remember correctly the BT offer shot up to £50+ most others were around the top end of £30-£40+.